wmplayer.exe - Application Error

Is anyone familar with this wmplayer error? I tried Googling it without any luck. Thanks.

wmplayer.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x02054ee8" referenced memory at "0x0273e53e". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

Thanks for the reply, rzzha. Guess no one else even came close to a solution for this. Probably because SP2 is new to all of us, and we each need to discover certain fixes. Actually, it's kind of refreshing...since I already know everything there is to know about SP1. (...*cough* ...*cough*)

Well, I kept Googling and finally came up with the problem being I needed to install the latest DivX codec...the one supposed to be compatible with WMP.

Everything went fine for a good long while. Then, oho, I got another similar error message.

This new Event Error was Number 26, and I can't find a solution yet to it.

I'm thinking more than just the DivX codec needs to be made compatible with SP2. I know that Xvid codec also had an upgrade to make it more compatible with SP2.

Problem is, other than the codecs that install automatically with XP, I only have four other codecs installed:

ac3filter

Intel I263

DivX

XviD

So I'm thinking, maybe XP's own codecs need to be made compatible with XP.

Well, when does it happen? It could only be a problem with the DivX codec if you are playing DivX encoded video when it crahes. It would only be the WM codec's if its crashing when you are playing WM content. You never said what you were doing. Could be graphics drivers, audio drivers, directx, etc. Nothing to do with AC3filter unless you have it set as the preferred decoder and you are playing a file type it supports decoding. Understand?

Thanks for your reply, cal2002. I think I understand what it is you are saying.

Obviously, if I was experiencing a problem with the DivX codecs, I was playing a DivX encoded media file.

However, and I think this is where you may have helped me. We'll still have to wait and see, but with the second error I started getting, I had been playing XviD encoded media files. So, I uninstalled the XviD codec and re-installed it...this time watching to see if I was selecting them as the "default" for all codec types it works with. Sure enough, there is a selection for that. So I de-selected them this time.

I'll see if that works for me.