• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Why does SP2 suck so much?

dreamz    4

sp2 is even better than sp1 for me.

null_    4

Installed SP2 via Slipstream CD on my new PC and it runs like a charm.

hunter1234    0

I like SP2 a lot more than SP1. I think most people are experiencing problems because they're upgrading rather than clean install. Most software don't like it when the os's settings changes. If you're having a lot of problems with sp2 and you are willing to reformat, do it! You will notice a big difference.

siinoi    0

it works like a charm for me :)

and yes i installed it slipstreammed with my winxp pro + sp1a + sp2 from hp and no trouble at all..

PseudoRandomDragon    0
If they removed IE from the OS, then the OS wouldn't work - seeing as IE and explorer are the same program..

That isn't true. It is possible to remove IE from the OS. XPLite can do it. The only problem is some programs depend on IE, unfortunately.

Chrysalis    13

If you think SP2 only fixes minor bugs then get a cable modem stick it in your pc and install Windows XP gold or SP1 version and see how long it takes for the RPC reboot to kick in.

configure    1
(comprehensive incoming and outging support)
WF doesn't filter outbound connections although it now can filter at the Application Layer on inbound connections.
XPlite "removies" IE, although in reality IE is still there - it is explorer with a different shell (eg, the buttons etc.)

Explorer is the shell.

What I am trying to advocate is that IE and Explorer should indeed be 100% separate so that they do not have any components in common. That way you could isolate IE as a separate process and prevent it from having negative effects on the core OS itself. That would be a good thing. Both the OS and IE could be more secure and more efficient, it stands to reason.
It still wouldn't help much if people would still run their browsers with the administrative account and download every ActiveX applets that they were prompted with. I'm not 100% sure on this so correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, we all wish there was a better firewall,

Free compresentive firewall? I wonder how long that would last until Zone Lab (and a few other) jumped on the "Hey, I know! Lets sue Microsoft, too!" bandwagon.

Most software don't like it when the os's settings changes.

If that's the case, I really don't think that Microsoft should be blamed for poorly written third party applications.

golazo    0

it sucks because of the **** bootscreen LOL jk i don't think theres anything wrong with it

Dazog    9

Honestly if you don' t like what MS is doing move to Debian Or Linux

Close this thread its a waste of time and space.

Emon    40

so far I have seen only noobs having problem with SP2 cause they have **** load of spyware installed in their system. So you want a reason to get SP2 ? here's the reason .. get a successful installation of SP2 and prove yourself that you are not dumb like those noobs.

Emon    40
Honestly if you don' t like what MS is doing move to Debian Or Linux

Close this thread its a waste of time and space.

so Debian and Linux are two different things ? hmm .. learned something new today !! :whistle:

figgy    2

For people who want to have outgoung filtering use IPSEC.

For me Mozilla sucks as a browser but some people think still it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It is all a matter of perception. You already made up your mind that that service packs are bad so you think some minor problems that the minority of people face will effect you too. Most the SP2 to problems are caused by either bad hardware, third party software or misconfiguration. The majority of people are very happy with SP2.

+virtorio    3,112

Its more likely to be the poorly writen software people are using causing problems with their computer, not SP2.

cork1958    1,658

I wouldn't say it "sucks", but, yeah, it was a big let down after all the hype. It is a good idea for nOObs to have it though. Uninstalled it from all 4 of my XP boxes. Will wait for the kinks to get worked out of it now before installing again. If I do at all.

imtoomuch    0

SP2 does not suck. It has a few flaws, but what software doesn't?

Marsden    0

SP2 Works for the majority of users.

If it does not work it is because

1.- Some people have no idea what they are doing...

2.- Their systems were buggered long before SP2 was released and they have no clue there were problems to begin with due to #1.

stezo2k    0

works fine for me, wouldn't install before i formatted though

slipstreamed copy works a treat, and is extremely fast :D

stevember    138
SP2 doesn't suck if you got SP2-compatible software (Y)

I love your sig. I'm a L33T I use firefox geeeeeesssss grow up kids. SP2 is great thankyou microsoft, yes i had probs with it on friends machine and i didn't go this sucks go back to SP1. I worked out the problem and updated the relivent driver. Easy. Now if you can't do the same you shouldn't say anything about SP2 as you are not qualified.

I'm not pro or anti microsoft I just appreciate they have to write an OS for endless hardware configurations past and future, endless software past and future, endless crappy written programs/drivers that cause OS to crash then MS get the blame. Geeeessss

insanekiwi    0

sp2 doesnt suck, i'm fine with it. everything works. no problems at all.

Chode    1

I've been using it for 2 weeks now, and I mean intensive gaming and doing a lot of resource intensive 3D work, and it runs more or less the same as SP1 did.

I have to say the transition between SP1 and SP2 is about a zillion times smoother than the transition between 98SE and XP

Kerm    51
SP2 Works for the majority of users.

If it does not work it is because

1.- Some people have no idea what they are doing...

2.- Their systems were buggered long before SP2 was released and they have no clue there were problems to begin with due to #1.

Well said!

CrispCreations    4

^^^ I agree, Marsden summed it up pretty well. I've seen numerous complaints that SP2 screwed a system that 'worked perfectly' before. In most cases a quick look in Event Viewer will show a catalogue of errors that, whilst, not affecting the system to the extent that it BSOD's, have remained undetected and unfixed. Applying SP2 to such systems compounds the problem. This is why for most a clean install of a slipstreamed SP2 will yield better results than installing OTT XP/SP1.

ZZOOzzoo    0
I dont see a point in installing Windows SP2.. all it does is cause problems. Other then patch up some minor bugs and holes.. does anyone know of a real point to installing this?

ive read thread after thread of peoples PC's not booting up, cards frying, and it giving errors, programs not starting up, internet killed. Anyone know of a good enough reason to bother installing it?

I'm sure you're gonna put all the blames and complains to the Microsoft when you get your computer messed up by spyware, virus or all the insecure things on your computer.

SP2 is to enhance the security of your OS, not to fry your computers.

And I think it's their fault that people got their computer messes up because there are so many more people who didn't have such problems.

v_magal    0
so far I have seen only noobs having problem with SP2 cause they have **** load of spyware installed in their system. So you want a reason to get SP2 ? here's the reason .. get a successful installation of SP2 and prove yourself that you are not dumb like those noobs.

Well said

Vice    1,593

my friend told me SP2 was **** cause he couldnt install it. i told him to go buy a legit XP lol :p