Why does SP2 suck so much?

Nocstar

Yeah it works wonders here :yes:

And for disabling the security things im pretty sure theres something in the Services that can be disabled if not put to manual. Google it :cool: Cause i remember doing something like that on service pack 1.

Larney
Are they n00bs for merely owning a laptop, and having it slow down as much as 12 percent jst from loading SP2.

If you don't believe me check this out. There is no real reason to upgrade to SP2 if you run a good firewall and AV app, and don't use IE. All most all of the "bug" fixes do not effect the average user.

SP2 doesn't slow anything down. IE works fine and the SP2 firewall is good as well. Oh well another one lost to n00byness :no:

cdcase
I wish that we could create a few custom Security Zones so we can separate and group sites into areas where the amount of damage they can do is limited, but we can still adjust some settings to make them useful.

I see what you are saying, but it would be better if MS more completely and faithfully modeled the *NIX /home and root v. user concepts. It was a sad mistake to encourage existing windows software to be built around the premise that folks are running as administrator, and in effect have to be in order to use the software (because files being written to restricted directories like "\program files" or "\windows" etc.

It would be a HUGE leap forward if MS would enforce true separation of administrator and users. That would fix a lot of the problems we have today.

Hosed your account? no problem, the core OS is unnaffected - create a new user account and wah lah - you're back in business.

As hard as they are trying, unless they fix this basic architectural problem they will never escape the virus/trojan/malware hell. Then there is the integration issue.... :x

Bearded Kirklander
SP2 doesn't slow anything down. IE works fine and the SP2 firewall is good as well.

You might want to do some reading before you post. There are press reports of slowdowns on mobile systems, as well as problems with the default firewall settings on systems when SP2 is installed over SP1. It looks like they can be overcome with some reconfiguration, which is good. But they certainly have nothing to do with "n00biness" as you so quaintly put it. :rolleyes:

Simon-
SP2 only sucks for anally retentive n00bs who don't deserve to own a PC. Damn people stop being so anally retentive and just install it and use it. If it doesn't work for you...stop using your PC as you obviously don't know how to use it. Ive been running SP2 from the night it came out and had NO problems....what is the world of pc users coming to :no:

Damn Right.

Anyone that intentionally not going to update their computers with SP2 should format their computers instead.

Larney
You might want to do some reading before you post. There are press reports of slowdowns on mobile systems, as well as problems with the default firewall settings on systems when SP2 is installed over SP1. It looks like they can be overcome with some reconfiguration, which is good. But they certainly have nothing to do with "n00biness" as you so quaintly put it. :rolleyes:

Then get a slipstreamed copy...god please grow up...

_R2D2
They are n00bs for using the programs that are crashing it or not fixing the problems.

Exactly, how it should be :)

So..you don't think that there are other things causing the errors....no...cause you like to call people n00bs. Just to insult them.

I read somewhere someone who couldn't install xp, just because of his motherboard that wasn't compitable with XP. He was computer expert in one of the biggest swedish pc magazines. n00b? - no.

thexfile

If people are unhappy with XP SP2 they could format and install Linspire... :woot:

Linspire is all that and a bag of s**t :laugh:

stevember

And please all noobs use gmail and firefox they make your p**is bigger.

Simon-

Gee the press said so, so it must be true... Just how ZDNet has a stab at SP2 because some driver that nobody's heard of is incompatable with SP2 due to DEP preventing it from using memory space that it shouldn't... and that it's all AMD's fault because they are the only ones (out of them and Intel) that support hardware-based DEP (NX Bit). :rolleyes: BK, STFU, seriously. :rolleyes:

Brandon Live

SP2 screwed up my Weatherbug! And Viewpoint Player! And CoolWebSearch!!!!

HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Xtreme $niper

It patches up old holes while creating new ones.

allfive6

so many many peoples without a clue

Brandon Live
So..you don't think that there are other things causing the errors....no...cause you like to call people n00bs. Just to insult them.

I read somewhere someone who couldn't install xp, just because of his motherboard that wasn't compitable with XP. He was computer expert in one of the biggest swedish pc magazines. n00b? - no.

What does that have to do with SP2?

The minimum requirements are clearly listed on the Windows XP box. If his motherboard did not meet those specifications, then of course XP won't run.

I can't think of a single chipset that would be incompatible with XP out of the box. The only situations I can think of are:

1) The motherboard was made by "Joe's CompuAwesome" and did not properly meet with the ATX specifications or that of the chipset used. Or it was simply broken.

2) The chipset included a driver disk (or perhaps an HD controller with a driver disk) that were buggy.

3) The user really didn't know what he was doing and had another problem with the system (ie. bad memory, wrong CD, didn't plug power cable in, etc.)

Brandon Live
It patches up old holes while creating new ones.

Show me one.

And don't point me to that bogus article the Inquirer picked up about "If you share your files publically with SMB, the public might, in rare cases outside the US, be able to access them!!!"

v_magal
Why should you have to stop using programs you have come to rely on and used for years just because of SP2?  Why not allow for the fact that some programs will need to be updated and that sticking with SP1 for a little while longer might be a good solution until then?

For example, OE-QuoteFix is directly impacted by SP2 and the changes it makes to OE 6.  It is a fantastic program and very helpful at keeping Outlook emails clean in terms of quoting.  What's the harm in acknowledging that it might be worth waiting until programs like this are adjusted for SP2 before upgrading to SP2?

Uh have you ever heard of compatibility in XP? It isn't that hard dude.

Al though i do believe "some" applications didnt work well when sp2 was released then. But i think there ok now being most have been updated to be more compatible with sp2

I hope i make sense

betasp
nd don't point me to that bogus article the Inquirer picked up about "If you share your files publically with SMB, the public might, in rare cases outside the US, be able to access them!!!"

You mean like this.

Emon
SP2 screwed up my Weatherbug! And Viewpoint Player! And CoolWebSearch!!!!

HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH

man .. I didn't laugh so hard for a long time !! :D :D

_R2D2
What does that have to do with SP2?

It has nothing to do with SP2. Just an example of a error, that wasn't the users fault.

Just to tell Larney that all errors are not caused by "n00bs".

Emon
It has nothing to do with SP2. Just an example of a error, that wasn't the users fault.

Just to tell Larney that all errors are not caused by "n00bs".

trust me .. most errors are caused by users .. 90% of them ..

oooo I was wrong !!!

it is actually 99% of the errors are caused by the users !

_R2D2

oooo I was wrong !!!

it is actually 99% of the errors are caused by the users !

Yes..you are right. But then there are some errors caused by something else.

Rudy

i work for one of the biggest broadband ISP in canada and believe me i've seen so many computer that wouldnt work properly after installing SP2........but all these computers were full of viruses and spyware........so SP2 should install just fine on a clean computer (i've never had problems installing SP2) but can have a few problems if you're installing it on a computer full of sh!t

betasp

Actually according to microsoft, they are caused by driver errors. Which are both the manufacturers and Microsofts fault.

v_magal
i work for one of the biggest broadband ISP in canada and believe me i've seen so many computer that wouldnt work properly after installing SP2........but all these computers were full of viruses and spyware........so SP2 should install just fine on a clean computer (i've never had problems installing SP2) but can have a few problems if you're installing it on a computer full of sh!t

I can agree with you on that.

oldmusicman

There is no real good reason to DL it, but as far as problems, if you have the intelligence of a **** ant, there are no problems with it. I've been using it since ver., 2149, and there were problems with that, but this release has been problem free. It's the person trying to figure out what all these little letters on this thing in front of you are. Peace. Hippie :D