Why does SP2 suck so much?

Wow.. SP2 isn't a religion people.. If you think Sp2 is the almighty solution to all problems windows-related you are greatly misinformed. How can you put so much trust in SP2 given the past experiences we've had with Microsoft updates?

[rant]

Larney: Please stop trolling. If there is one thing I've learned from using computers for most of my life, it's that anyone who is as condescending as you are - calling anyone who disagrees with your opinion a noob - is most likely someone with only a narrow understanding of computers

(specifically Windows). This small amount of knowledge is enough to make them more knowledgeable than the average user, enough to have it go to their head as well. You need to learn that in the computer world, being open to all possibilities is a very powerful tool.

To boot, you are neglecting logic and reaching assumptions that simply make no sense.

[/rant]

Now.. I've installed SP2 on a few machines and I haven't experienced any problems that haven't been resolved by updates (for example, the older version of Nod32 would kill you internet connection, but this has since been fixed). I would also recommend, as others have in this thread, to do a clean install.

Anyways, that is just my experience. On the whole however, I do agree that this SP isn't as big of an upgrade for an experienced user. This update is directed at users of IE who don't have a NAT/Router or 3rd party firewall, and who regularly leave themselves open to exploits and activeX intrusions. For those of us who never used IE (or as some would argue, had IE locked down), we never really saw many issues in SP1a..

Wow.. SP2 isn't a religion people.. If you think Sp2 is the almighty solution to all problems windows-related you are greatly misinformed. How can you put so much trust in SP2 given the past experiences we've had with Microsoft updates?

[rant]

Larney: Please stop trolling. If there is one thing I've learned from using computers for most of my life, it's that anyone who is as condescending as you are - calling anyone who disagrees with your opinion a noob - is most likely someone with only a narrow understanding of computers

(specifically Windows). This small amount of knowledge is enough to make them more knowledgeable than the average user, enough to have it go to their head as well. You need to learn that in the computer world, being open to all possibilities is a very powerful tool.

To boot, you are neglecting logic and reaching assumptions that simply make no sense.

[/rant]

Now.. I've installed SP2 on a few machines and I haven't experienced any problems that haven't been resolved by updates (for example, the older version of Nod32 would kill you internet connection, but this has since been fixed). I would also recommend, as others have in this thread, to do a clean install.

Anyways, that is just my experience. On the whole however, I do agree that this SP isn't as big of an upgrade for an experienced user. This update is directed at users of IE who don't have a NAT/Router or 3rd party firewall, and who regularly leave themselves open to exploits and activeX intrusions. For those of us who never used IE (or as some would argue, had IE locked down), we never really saw many issues in SP1a..

I have to say "well put" this sp is more aimed towards the average home users while advanced users dont really seem to notice much. I did still install because your OS is something that should be kept updated . It jsut good practice to do so

Use pc's with SP2 on some done as an update and some from a fresh install with a slipstreamed disc. NOT ONE PROBLEM that I can say "Oh, that never happened in WinXP, WinXPSP1 or WinXPSP1a".

Emon says that 99% of errors are users. WRONG 99.999% of errors are BCAK!

How many of you actually check the event viewer after an error has occured to try find out the source? I would hazard a guess and say maybe 1% or 2% at a push. Be honest, you don't do you!

Use pc's with SP2 on some done as an update and some from a fresh install with a slipstreamed disc. NOT ONE PROBLEM that I can say "Oh, that never happened in WinXP, WinXPSP1 or WinXPSP1a".

Emon says that 99% of errors are users. WRONG 99.999% of errors are BCAK!

How many of you actually check the event viewer after an error has occured to try find out the source? I would hazard a guess and say maybe 1% or 2% at a push. Be honest, you don't do you!

dont be so hard on the noobs :o :shifty:

I dont see a point in installing Windows SP2.. all it does is cause problems. Other then patch up some minor bugs and holes.. does anyone know of a real point to installing this?

ive read thread after thread of peoples PC's not booting up, cards frying, and it giving errors, programs not starting up, internet killed. Anyone know of a good enough reason to bother installing it?

Minor? Lol. Sure you wont be saying that if they were exploited.

PC's not booting...that'd be mine. Still won't if I install, but there is a way around it, aint got around to it yet.

Been running SP2 since the mid-betas, no problems. Always used the most current stable drivers for my hardware, the most current stable versions of programs that are available, and didn't do anything assinine with my system, and have had no worries. I think probably a lot of it is people trying to run all different incompatible software, crappy hardware and crappy drivers, then just updating their PC instead of doing a clean install, then expecting SP2 to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It was hyped up SOOO much, that when people realized that it's just an update that adds some nice, inconspicuous features, they felt let down, and started nitpicking. Of course, I'm behind a hardware firewall, and I chose my hardware for stability/linux compatibility over bleeding edge, so starting out with a rock-solid base will make *any* OS run fine. But people running the new leetest alpha nVidia drivers that were hacked up by some guy on the net shouldn't be bitching because they think SP2 screwed up their system...sorry.

Check your hardware with the latest HCL on MS. If it is not there, then it is not tested with SP2, and don't expect that it will work. Just because a tyre is round and a rim is round, doesn't mean that every type will fit every rim.

So..you don't think that there are other things causing the errors....no...cause you like to call people n00bs. Just to insult them.

I read somewhere someone who couldn't install xp, just because of his motherboard that wasn't compitable with XP. He was computer expert in one of the biggest swedish pc magazines. n00b? - no.

I assume you're talking about DMZ?

The people who write (on a freelance basis) for DMZ are not experts.

They might know a lot, but there's always "problems" that are in no way related to the real situation at hand which gets dismissed because of "developer/manufacturer lazyness".

The people writing for DMZ are people with a genuine interest in the field they're writing about.

I would know - I've written stuff for them.

Some folks are having USB issues after installing SP2. Microsoft knows of the issues. One fix for some, from a MS knowledgebase article, is a registry hack that disables SP2's USB write protection. Some just have to reload or update their USB drivers. Some have to do both. Doing both doesn't work for me. I hook up my camera or some other USB device and it is instant blue screen time and a reset to reboot. All MS has told me was to do what I had found on my own and have already done. Although I have worked on computers as a career (repair and such) for 28 years now, so know my way around them, just to apease them I went through the steps again with a tech. Same results. Many friends have no issues.

BTW, I have an ECS MB with a SIS chip set. :no:

I assume you're talking about DMZ?

The people who write (on a freelance basis) for DMZ are not experts.

They might know a lot, but there's always "problems" that are in no way related to the real situation at hand which gets dismissed because of "developer/manufacturer lazyness".

The people writing for DMZ are people with a genuine interest in the field they're writing about.

I would know - I've written stuff for them.

Nope. Not DMZ

sp2 doesnt suck AT ALL on my computers

nb.: I did install sp2 over b2600 computers (wife and mine)

no sp1 crapy installed before to upgrade to sp2

windows firewall and autoupdate are both disabled

might help

SP2 only sucks for anally retentive n00bs who don't deserve to own a PC. Damn people stop being so anally retentive and just install it and use it. If it doesn't work for you...stop using your PC as you obviously don't know how to use it. Ive been running SP2 from the night it came out and had NO problems....what is the world of pc users coming to :no:

itz filled with arrogant, egotistical, social misfits like you

Errr - you thought this post up all by yourself, did you? :p

SP2 is causing issues for more than just n00bs. As more applications are modified to work better with SP2, perhaps many of these problems will take care of themselves. Just because you have personally not had any issues does not mean that they do not exist. :)

ah, finally some calm reasoning.