What is the difference between Cat 5, 5e and Cat 6

I have always thought that you needed Cat 6 to run Gigabit Ethernet. I was recently told that was a common misconception. If this is a misconception, what is the differences between these cable, and what is the benefits of upgrading?

Cat5 supports 10/100 over copper

Cat5e supports 10/100/1000 over copper

Cat6 is better "quality" than Cat5e.

If I was installing wiring from scratch then I would select Cat6 (a bit of future proofing). But Cat5e will meet most needs.

Remember cat gut strings? well, in order to be more eco friendly, cable manufacturers are now using cat gut to make cables. They are fully biodegradable now.

*Only stray cats are use. No animals, except cats, were harmed in the making of cat gut cables

Arse raped them, want anymore info on this confidential project of mine to arse rape as many pussys i can find in the neighbours backyard

Not going to touch that one...

Back on topic

How can you create a 'Gigabit Network', when the PCI slots on a machine can't handle those speeds?

Not going to touch that one...

Back on topic

How can you create a 'Gigabit Network', when the PCI slots on a machine can't handle those speeds?

You can't

you need to go and buy a higher speed network PCI card and you also need a gigabit switch along with gigabit network cabling.

you need to go and buy a higher speed network PCI card and you also need a gigabit switch along with gigabit network cabling.

Right. Where would this 'switch' sit within the network? Connected to the WAN? or the router?