Windows XP ICS & BPFTP Server

Arrgghh, since i've setup ICS on my Windows XP PC I can no longer FTP to it! It lets me in but when I goes to list the directory I get "Data Socket Error: Connection failed (Connection timed out)"

Anyone got any ideas?

Here is some more info;

WinSock 2.0

Connecting to Home PC

Connected to xxxxxxxxxxx.d2g.com Port 21

USER xxxxxxxx

331 Password required for xxxxxxxx.

PASS (hidden)

230 User xxxxxxxx logged in.

SYST

215 UNIX Type: L8

REST 100

350 REST supported. Ready to resume at byte offset 100.

REST 0

350 REST supported. Ready to resume at byte offset 0.

PWD

257 "/" is current directory.

TYPE A

200 Type set to A.

PASV

227 Entering Passive Mode (80,2,252,121,19,138)

Data Socket Error: Connection failed (Connection timed out)

anyone?

FTP was fine before ICS, people could get in, upload, download etc, I setup ICS with the Home Network Wizard and ever since I get those time out errors, it's wierd because I can still get in, then it craps out!

Hello . When you enable your ICS on your WindowsXP system through The Network Setup Wizard , you automatically enable the ICF ( internet connection firewall ) ; this built-in firewall is a great tools for non-advanced paranoid protection users and so you have two choices : either you disable ICF from the NIC connection properties or you can customize it using the Advanced Settings from the same place by clicking ADD and entering your service name , its IP or Port ( 21 for example ) and then everything goes very smooth . By the way you can do the same thing for your IRC client software like mIRC (in case you use it) by accepting port 113 for the Ident Reply and the port range 1024-1034 for DCC . I look forward for hearing from you in case of any more help needed .

place hwere you connect from, does it have any type of firewall?

if it does you might have problems connecting..

in bpftp limit pasv port range to something like 2000-3000 and forward those ports in ICS/ICF to machine that's running bpftp. if ics doesn't allow port range and only one part at a time you can either:

manualy add 10-15 ports

or

dump ICS and go with something more flexable such as WinRoute(pro)

Originally posted by bennyboyamo

Allow them where?

Either in the ICS config. or through the XP firewall. I had an issue with my router because I only allowed port 21, which seemed to let people connect but nothing else, then I read somewhere that ftp uses 2 ports, 21 for connection/session and 20 for data.

Quick and easy setup for BPftp server, this should works behind routers and should also work behind ICS.

Forward ports 20 and 21 to the system running the ftp server. These ports can be any number, as long as they are in order (5150, 5151 and so on)

Forward port range 50000 to 51000 to the systems running the ftp server.

take a smoke break.

bring up Bpftp server setup / General section. set the listen port to 21 ( or 5151, or whatever you used)

go to the Multi IP settings in bpftp server. check the box for passive mode IP. click the little a box and type your IP address (this will be the internet IP you get from your ISP, not your LAN ip)

go to passive port range, set it to 50000 to 51000

Enjoy.

Only problem I have with this setup is FXP. I haven't been able to figure it out...yet. I have heard the FXP doesnt work for ftp server running on port 21 (which mine is), but does work on any other ports, so you may want to try messing with that.

People have used the settings above, after I have walked them through it, with 96% success. It has been try with various routers, ICS, wingate, sygate, and winpoxy, so should work for you

Originally posted by MxxCon

place hwere you connect from, does it have any type of firewall?

if it does you might have problems connecting..

in bpftp limit pasv port range to something like 2000-3000 and forward those ports in ICS/ICF to machine that's running bpftp. if ics doesn't allow port range and only one part at a time you can either:

manualy add 10-15 ports

or

dump ICS and go with something more flexable such as WinRoute(pro)

OK, how do i get rid of ICS?

Is the best way to uninstall the network card from device manager then reboot?

Originally posted by ElGato

I read somewhere that ftp uses 2 ports, 21 for connection/session and 20 for data.

that's incorrect. data connection is ALWAYS above port 1024