AutoStreamer 1.0.33

Just do unattended installations. :)

Slipstreaming hotfixes gets messy at times.

And, once SP3 comes out and you try to slipstream your SP2 CD with hotfixes it will crap out.

Do it the clean way... :o

Seems that you must use a clean XP disk - not the 8-in-one or even one with SP1 integrated. Works great with XP Pro Corp.

WAREZ MONKEY :o

Run for the hills

need a way to attach in the file that makes it so we can have automated install of windows? IF this program packages and burns a new copy or windows cd then I would like a way to stick in the automation file!

Just a feature request.

You may or not be aware of the issue where you are unable to slip XP SP2 if you are using Windows 2000....? ?

Now the question is, would you prefer to implement it....

After extracting the SP to the temp location, Autostreamer needs to delete one file.

I'm a W2K_Pro user, getting questionable results when attempting to AutoStream SP2 into XP_Pro. Your observation might explain why I get a window indicating UPDATE.EXE crashes. It happens when AutoStreamer unzips the Service Pack into the temp folder - right near the end. To investigate, I decompressed SP2 - and found the only occasion of UPDATE.EXE to be located in the I386/Update folder. Might that be the file recommended for deletion?

Does "unable to slip XP SP2 if you are using Windows 2000" explain why there are no file dates in the completed ISO more current than 08/23/2001 ? Because it looks to me like AutoStreamer 1.0.29 and 1.0.30 did nothing more than copy the original CD files, then give it an ISO file extension. I expected to see more recent dates associated with the slipstreamed service pack files.

Off topic, minor glitch. Build 30 still locks up when the About screen is called. Only way to close AutoStreamer at this point is from the Task Manager.

//greg//

grohgreg, the whole thing seems to be an SP2 problem. paratrupr said there's an issue when slipstreaming XPSP2 on XP share while running win2K. AutoStreamer doesnt extract the Service Pack file anywhere... The Service Pack file does that on its own! The fact that UPDATE.EXE crashes, means that there's something wrong there. And since it fails to integrate file in the share, AutoStreamer has no choice but to create an ISO using the original files...

have you tried clicking on the "X" on the top-right corner of the about dialog?

/Raptor

grohgreg, the whole thing seems to be an SP2 problem. paratrupr said there's an issue when slipstreaming XPSP2 on XP share while running win2K. AutoStreamer doesnt extract the Service Pack file anywhere... The Service Pack file does that on its own! The fact that UPDATE.EXE crashes, means that there's something wrong there. And since it fails to integrate file in the share, AutoStreamer has no choice but to create an ISO using the original files...

have you tried clicking on the "X" on the top-right corner of the about dialog?

/Raptor

I don't think I'm getting your point. Paratrupr suggested that the deletion of a single XP_SP2 file was the solution to the AutoStream inability to integrate on a W2K platform. And the extraction of SP files is clearly a sequential function of AutoStreamer. At a bare minimum, AutoStreamer executes WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU. What am I missing?

Why would UPDATE.EXE crash when SP2 is launched by AutoStream, but not when launched by SP2 is launched independently?

So where are you placing the blame for AutoStreamer's failure to integrate - the UPDATE.EXE crash? or the unnamed file mentioned earlier by Paratrupr?

And yes, no amount of clicks -right/left/anywhere - will close the About window. Only way to get out of the AutoStreamer lockup, is from TaskManager.

//greg//

Actually, the problem is within the service pack. Regardless of what program initiates the integration, the first step is to extract the package to a temp folder. After extraction, the slipstream is started using the update.exe. I'm not sure what command is hardcoded in Autostreamer to kick off the process, but what needs to happen is to extract the contents of SP2. Then delete setupapi.dll in the i386\Update folder. Then launch the update.exe with the slipstream parameters. As I suggested, Raptor could do that, or if he felt like it, add a pop-up warning that stated the incompatibility issue by doing an OS search during the initial launch of Autostreamer.

That's it. I've done this manually and it works fine. This setupapi.dll file has been known to cause issues with people who upgrade from 2000 to XP, not just when slipping service packs.

Also, update.exe will crash if you extract SP2 using nLite, Autostreamer, or if you do it manually. It is a flaw that Microsoft added, by mistake or on purpose, who knows.

Just thought I'd mention a small issue I just experienced.

Just used this nice little proggie and decided to choose the Temp folder myself(C:\Documents and Settings\mynamehere\Desktop\Temp).

The ISO file was placed in another Temp folder of my choosing on another drive.

When it was done, the temp folder on the desktop was deleted along with all files in it instead of just the Autostreamer files! Nothing I won't miss though but thought I'd mention it for your info.

WinXPSP2

Autostreamer 1.0.30

That's normal behaviour. Let me explain:

When using CD mode, AutoStreamer needs to create a temporary folder where it can copy CD contents, and work on (slipstream SP). Then it creates the ISO. When finished, you will see that AutoStreamer is "Cleaning any temporary files used". In CD mode, this means the temporary folder too. The whole idea is to leave the system with what it had before the process but with the ISO. Since before the process the PC didnt have that folder, its deleted. In Share mode, that doesn't happen. Since the PC already had the folder, AutoStreamer assumes you want it and doesn't touch it.

All in all, when AutoSreamer is done, you should expect to see the same files your PC had before the process, save for the ISO file.

OK, but I already had the temp folder on my desktop before using Autostreamer. I use it to put many files that I haven't decided what to do with yet. I expected Autostreamer to place some files in there and then delete THOSE FILES ONLY , not the whole folder with my other temp files as well.

I do understand that I should not have pointed Autostreamer to a folder with other files in it though. I'll know for next time. Thanks! :)

Paratrupr, that's kinda like win2K SP1 and SP2 (thats why they are not supported)... Slipstreaming them directly (using the big file) isnt supported and you have to extract the file and start UPDATE.EXE. I guess i can add a warning when win2k is the running os and winxpsp2 file is given...