Nortan anti viris 2002. Possed by satan?

I tried using norton2002 with windowsxp. It wouldnt agree with me. I got a wierd error during setup saying couldnt write to registry value /liveupdate/apps and now when my system start auto protect is disabled for about 30 secs making everything else freeze. Mcafee seemed to work ok, should I just keep that?

When you installed it did you install it as an administrator?

Cuz the only thing i can think of that will cause such an error during install is not installing as an admin since the registry is protected from making entries to it if you dont have admin rights so that's why its always recommended to install stuff as an admin

If this is your prob then i guess you could try to uninstall it then reinstall logged in on an admin account

I have NEVER had any problems with Norton Antivirus 2002 [on XP] b4. It runs well in the background and doesn't seem to slow down any games or anything. I have also tried McAfee and for me it wouldn't uninstall properly, screwing up my entire computer.

Stick with what runs best for you. I swear by Norton because of my good experiences with it and that I've had bad experiences with McAfee.

Do you have AOL installed? They conflict on 2000 and XP boxes. It's the WAN network driver. I don't know if you can safely uninstall that or not though and still have AOL work.

Originally posted by SlashDot14

Do you have AOL installed? They conflict on 2000 and XP boxes. It's the WAN network driver. I don't know if you can safely uninstall that or not though and still have AOL work.

I don't think my Bro installed AOL.

I think the problem might be a firewall software....

I love Norton AV, I'm currently using 2002 works great like always (at least for me) I like the ability to D/L the virus definitions. They update them all time. I just feel Safer. :D

I had Mcafee on my system years ago, and started having problems so I installed Norton, It Immediatelyfound a virus that Mcafee never saw. :ermm:

NAV 2002 is Windows XP Certified....

McAfee IS NOT! Version 6 is branded as xp compatible, and it seems to be.

Version 4.5.1 has problems, we've tested it extensively at work, on official MS build.

4.5.1 also has issues with outlook express 6, regarding deletion of all emails. (nasty).

Jon

:( I have a similar issue. When I first got Norton 2002 I loaded it and it worked fine. Downloaded a game off the internet and decided to scan it. All of sudden Norton locks up. I reboot. My computer started having power down issues along with freezing up. So I deleted the game and cleared it from the reg. Still nothing. After a few days of trouble shooting I decided to just reformat and load XP again. Now, Norton won't load properly. It either locks up my computer or it will install but freeze up after it displays the contract time of ownership. I don't what to do. I've installed unistalled it. Removed it from the registry and reinstalled it. Everything else works fine, so...I'm in the same boat. I was like all these others here before swearing up and down, "I got no problems here" well guess whose got a problem? Me. i hope someone has an answer other than "life sucks, get a helmet".

I have Norton SystemWorks and Norton Internet Security both installed. Both include versions of Antivirus; however, I had to uninstall the version that came with Systemworks and install the version that came with Internet Security, otherwise I'd get odd .dll loading errors relating to the email scan. My guess is, there is some sort of conflict on your system somewhere. Try looking at everything that loads when your system starts up, and see if maybe something could be locking up Antivirus.

This is not and and I reperte NOT normal for NAV. Virus protection is absolutly mandatory in todays data flow, especially if you have access to the outside world.

My advise would be to disconnect from the net immediatly, and contact Symantec to get this resolved. They are very helpful.

I can't understand why anyome would be on a forum like this asking for help on such a crucial matter. The vendor is a huge company and very responsive to customer needs, and will see that this is repaired.

How do you suggest he get help if he's disconnected from the net? Most of their support sections must be accessed via the net. And besides, anyone with a broadband connection has a hard time just "disconnecting".

Let's see, broadband (DSL) cut the switch. You might go to the TCP Local area Connection and select properties and choose disable.

So many people forget about the land line and hopfully he still has the manual that came with his NAV becuse the number is located in it, but if not they will still help.

The number is available through directory services.

I see these types of posts all the time and just can't figure out what they are thinking. I do tech support and and some people just need hand holding, especially Windows users, I guess this is one of those times.

The funny thing is I dont want to call up the norton people and say that I have a pirated AntiViris software that doesnt work on my pirated Os. :p Lol!