Desktop Icons without Text

Thanks muchly Herby! I am going to have a play around tonight, see what I can come up with. Just a question, sorry if it has been asked before, and yeah I know it's n00bie to you lol, but how do I track down the CLSID:{xxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx} dealies for other programs I have installed / other folders, to have a go at making my own icons for various little apps I have installed.

I also understand that Magician's never reveal their secrets though :p

584791678[/snapback]

I'm not a Magician... :p

The easiest way to create a new one is editing an existing one in the registry.

Edit for example the winamp key:

Import the "Add Winamp.reg" and open regedit & search for the CLSID "{00000000-5020-0000-0000-000000000002}".

Rename it to another non existing valid CLSID like {00000000-7001-0000-0000-000000000002}.

When u use the Winamp icon on your Desktop, just import the "Add Winamp.reg" again... :)

In post nr# 92 I explained how to change the Icons, names & commands.

When you changed the names & commands.. delete the commands that you won't use.

When you are finished, export the whole key.

Edit the exported reg file and add the line:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{00000000-7001-0000-0000-000000000002}]

You must add this line to add the Icon to your Desktop.

Now import this reg file and refresh your desktop. :D

[/Herby]

Herby.....This is awsome....I'm going to try these out today. It's awsome that you are doing requests. I might hit you up for some requests soon enough.

EDIT:Shareaza by any chance?

584792907[/snapback]

Here is one for Shareaza,... great program! :D

Shareaza.zip

Thanks so much for this. Is it possible to be able to allow you to open it up to 'New Search' or 'Media Player' etc..?

Thanks so much for this. Is it possible to be able to allow you to open it up to 'New Search' or 'Media Player' etc..?

584793572[/snapback]

I searched but I couldn't find any shortcuts...

Herby, I noticed something odd. For some reason, the "My Computer" links and "My Documents" links that open an explorer window...they won't work with Y'z Toolbar.

mycomputerweird.jpg

The one on the left is from pressing alt-e. The one on the right is from opening the HerbyLink ;)

Edited by Rascally

Herby, I noticed something odd.  For some reason, the "My Computer" links and "My Documents" links that open an explorer window...they won't work with Y'z Toolbar.

mycomputerweird.jpg

The one on the left is from pressing alt-e.  The one on the right is from opening the HerbyLink ;)

584794561[/snapback]

:huh: don't know the reason & the solution yet,... I'll look into it. :)

Hey herby, nice work, only prob for me is that when i do it the icons on my desktop are really small.

Anyway to change this? Enlarge them a bit.

584799367[/snapback]

Right click on desktop-> properties-> Appearence-> Effects check "use large icons" click ok.

How about Ad-aware SE Professional?

584800113[/snapback]

Working on it... :D

[edit]I don't have much time now,.. but I'll try to finish it today.[/edit]

[/Herby]

Here is the Icon for Ad-Aware SE Pro.

Ad-AwareSEPro.jpg

The commands with the - behind it performs the scans automaticly + hidden & updates the definitions file.

The commands without the - performs the scans automaticly but shows the progress window, without updating the definitions.

Ad_Aware_SE_Pro.zip

I am having a problem with the winamp icon. I have winamp5 installed in a different folder (c:\program files\winamp5b2) and the icon launches winamp 2.9 which is in the default winamp folder. I tried editing the path in the reg files, but it still uses 2.9 and I want to make it point to 5.

Could you tell me how to do that?

Thanks

I am having a problem with the winamp icon. I have winamp5 installed in a different folder (c:\program files\winamp5b2) and the icon launches winamp 2.9 which is in the default winamp folder. I tried editing the path in the reg files, but it still uses 2.9 and I want to make it point to 5.

Could you tell me how to do that?

Thanks

584810173[/snapback]

You'll have to edit the paths in the registry, open regedit and search for the CLSID {00000000-5020-0000-0000-000000000002} , you can edit the commands there... (see post #91)

Yay! First post! :p

I found some info on the attributes you can apply to the "Shortcut." It's the "Attributes" part under ShellFolder in the reg files.

Here is what I found:

SFGAO_CANRENAME 	 10 00 00 00 	 Object can be renamed;
SFGAO_CANDELETE  20 00 00 00  Object can be deleted;
SFGAO_HASPROPSHEET  40 00 00 00  Object have a property sheet;

SFGAO_CANCOPY  01 00 00 00  Object can be copied;
SFGAO_CANMOVE  02 00 00 00  Object can be moved;
SFGAO_CANLINK  04 00 00 00  Object can be linked;

SFGAO_DROPTARGET  00 01 00 00  Object can be pasted into;

SFGAO_NONENUMERATED  00 00 10 00  Object is a non-enumerated object (?);
SFGAO_NEWCONTENT  00 00 20 00  Object should show bold in explorer tree;

SFGAO_LINK  00 00 01 00  Object is shortcut (arrow);
SFGAO_SHARE  00 00 02 00  Object is shared (hand);
SFGAO_READONLY  00 00 04 00  Object has readonly attribute;
SFGAO_GHOSTED [/_HIDDEN]  00 00 08 00  Object has disabled look;

SFGAO_FILESYSANCESTOR  00 00 00 10  Object contain file system folder (?);
SFGAO_FOLDER  00 00 00 20  Object is a folder;
SFGAO_FILESYSTEM  00 00 00 40  Object is "part of the file system (that is, they are files, directories, or root directories");
SFGAO_HASSUBFOLDER  00 00 00 80  Object contain folders (expandable in explorer/plus sign);

SFGAO_VALIDATE  00 00 00 01  Invalidate cached information (content is checked);
SFGAO_REMOVABLE  00 00 00 02  Object is on removable media;
SFGAO_COMPRESSED  00 00 00 04  Object is compressed (alt color);
SFGAO_BROWSABLE  00 00 00 08  The specified items can be browsed in place (?).

00 01 00 00 is for the Drag & Drop on to folders & files...

Not sure how to remove "Create Shortcut" though.

I found it here: http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html#attributes

Hi Herby! How about an icon for the Administrative Task folder?? :cool:

[EDIT]

never mind I see the CPL Icon :yes:

[/EDIT]

Edited by GatorV

Yay! First post!?:pp

I found some info on the attributes you can apply to the "Shortcut." It's the "Attributes" part under ShellFolder in the reg files.

Here is what I found:

00 01 00 00 is for the Drag & Drop on to folders & files...

Not sure how to remove "Create Shortcut" though.

I found it here: http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html#attributes

584810708[/snapback]

Hi endtwist, thanks & welkome to Neowin! :))

Yea Virtualplastic is a great site,.. I've learned alot from them.

The first thing I tried when people where asking for the Drag & Drop function was the SFGAO_DROPTARGET but it didn't work... :(( It only works if the CLSID is the same as the original one... (like My Documents & the Recycle Bin)

I'm still trying to get rid of the "Create Shortcut" command but so far no go...

Hi Herby

can you check the link for the nero icon file It doesnt seem to work:cry::

I love these Icons with no text

Keep up your good work

584813298[/snapback]

Hmmm,.. the icon works fine here...

Try to edit the reg file (the line below ....\DefaultIcon]) to point the icon to nero.exe or NeroStartSmart.exe (or see post #91 how to edit it in the registry).

[/Herby]

Now here's one idea I just thought of....

Since I'm using these on ObjectDock Plus (which, by the way, is such a rad piece of software, I've been learning tons of new things to do with this, good money spent!), with their multitude of extended commands...is there any way to make them dissappear from the desktop, but still have the Icons (with their functionality intact) on things like ObjectDock? Like, maybe delete the key at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace?

Now here's one idea I just thought of....

Since I'm using these on ObjectDock Plus (which, by the way, is such a rad piece of software, I've been learning tons of new things to do with this, good money spent!), with their multitude of extended commands...is there any way to make them dissappear from the desktop, but still have the Icons (with their functionality intact) on things like ObjectDock?  Like, maybe delete the key at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace?

584814801[/snapback]

I'm not using a dock at the moment,.. just try it. :)

Hi Herby

can you check the download link for the Nero.zip file  all I keep getting now is a download of index.htm

584816699[/snapback]

Try Post #74 :D

I'm not using a dock at the moment,.. just try it.  :)

584816984[/snapback]

I did...and no go. :( The dock icon then loses all it's functionality until you put the value back in the registry, at which time it pulls a "frosty the snowman" impersonation and suddenly comes back to life. :no: