Xp deadly slow when loggin on a network

Hi folks,

I have this huge problem.

I have at office a network with a Windows 2000 as a domain computer, I've installed a couple of Windows XP Professional clients, but after I've Log On into the Domain it took at least 3 or 4 minutes for Applying Computer Preferences, before comes to an "usable" desktop. That thing does not happen if I don't log on the domain, but on the plain machine.

Does anyone of you know why this happen?

i think you're goin to have to assign the PC's a different IP address..

the reason why the booting is slow is because the computer has to search and assign the computer on the network an ip address..

go into your network connections..then the properties of your Local Area Connection..then the properties of the TCP/IP..then click in the 'use the following IP address' radio button..then type in an IP and subnet mask..

you can leave the other option..

you might have to do that with each computer on the network..i'm not sure, but make sure they have different IP's...

good luck!!

yeah i think whipper25 is right. just assign different ip address to each of the client. in this case your machine (server) must use ip address 192.168.0.1 (well this is what i used in my computer) and assign different ip (192.168.0.2 for my sis comp and 192.168.0.3 for my bro comp). the next time you login this should fix the problem. hope this help you.

Originally posted by Fedr0

Use DHCP if your domain controller leases the service.

if u made Windows XP Member of Domain then it should happen,

Fedr0 Describe the best solution for it !!!

Well thanks all of you guys... but those were things I've already tried.

Maybe I didn't explain very well in the first post.

Ok... The machine is part of a domain... controlled by a Windows 2000 Server, and of course each machine has a different IP Adrress (in case of 2 or machine with the same IP it will only work on the network only the first one who log), and I also try to use a DHCP instead.

The problem is that Xp tooks a long time for "Applaying personal Settings", after I've log onto the Server. The problem i think should be something regarding the fact that he tries to load the default settings from the server (that i didn't set up, of course and don't need too), the thing is that it only happend on the 2 Xp machine I have, while the other clients, Win2000, 98, Me works just fine. I thought it's a bug of Xp with Win2000 Server, and I'd like to know if someone else experienced my same problems!

Thanks to all of you that have already posted... and I hope now I've explain clearer!

If u have romaing profiles enabled on the accounts mentioned then it all depends on what sort of documents etc are in the users my documents etc because they are copied accross everytime u log on and off

shodan - i have the same problem as you ! The only solution I have found is this:

On booting, remove the network cable from your NIC. When you get the logon screen, plug it back in. Log onto the Network using your normal UserID and Password. This works everytime.

It just means that you have to remove the cable on every re-boot. This only happens on WinXp machines. Maybe this issue will be resolved when Service Pack 1 eventually gets released?

creamhackered has hit the nail on the head with this one - the problem is actually to do with Roaming Profiles. For some reason, in 2000 and XP, profiles can take an extremely long time to transfer over the network when logging on. I've never nailed down whether this was a problem with upgrading the profiles on the server during an upgrade or whether it was just a general problem. On the other hand, it seems to happen on some computers and not necessarily on others.

May I suggest that you turn off roaming profiles and allow the computer to store the information locally as this will remove the delay. In order to do that, you should go to (hmm... memory failing me) - either System or User Accounts in control panel. Under one of them, there is a setting to store account details locally or to use roaming profiles and retrieve them from the network. You have to do this on each of the client machines, but once done it should solve your problems...

Thanks pinehead and danshome... tomorrow at work I'll try both of the solutions you've suggested.... well, roaming profile first ;)

Hope this works!

thanks

Profiles will only roam if you've set a roaming profile location in the user account settings, which isn't something you do without noticing really.

Consider setting a profile size limit, or enabling slow network detection.

Also EXCLUDE MY DOCUMENTS from the profile, and make it a redirected folder, the sensible option would be to redirect my documents to the users 'home area'.

Or just turn off RUPs unless you need them, and the only *real* need is if your staff are constantly 'hot desking'.

EDIT: If you are going to use RUPs as standard, users need to be educated to NOT but large files (or any really) directly on their desktop. This will cane the network, causing logons to take a sodding long time.

Well guys, as soon as i will try all of your ipothesis... I'll let you know who will win the contest....

Rups or synchronization?

thanks to all of you anyqya

I finally managed to try out the solutions you provide for my problem, the score is 0. :(

I look if i was using a roaming profile, but no.. so i tried with the gpedit utily to set all I could in local, but then again no.

I'm hopless, if anyone of you as encountered the same problem as me, and found out a solution, please help me!