Newbie C++ Help

Question

Ok, I got inspired today to learn a programing language. I want to learn C++ but I am sitting here with no clue on earth on where to start. Can anyone give me links to newbie tutorials and sites? If you can, please state any tips that you have for me, thanks!

• Like 2

211 answers to this question

Hi,

I recently decided to try and learn C++; however, I do not know where to start :s

I know some HTML/XHTML, but not much else :no:

Could anyone help me by telling me where to start?

Thanks,

Sean

C++ is a compiled language, so you'd need a compiler. Luckily, you can get one with the Dev-C++ IDE. Unfortunately you'd need to download the 9.0 MB package.

A tutorial would be the next logical step. :)

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

cplusplus.com also has a reference for the most commonly used C libraries and the iostream library.

c++ is nothing like HTML or XHTML. You can just forget that stuff.

Hi,

I recently decided to try and learn C++; however, I do not know where to start :s

I know some HTML/XHTML, but not much else :no:

Could anyone help me by telling me where to start?

Thanks,

Sean

Hey guys, been a very long time since i've posted here.. But here goes.

I've decided that i need new hobbies (you all know where this is heading). So im planning to learn C as one of them.

I just have a quick question. Would it be advisable to jump straight ahead into Visual C++, or should i learn basic C first? I only ask because it might be a different ball game between both, and learning vc may be "easier" or "better" due to its new age.

Cheers all.

Hey guys, been a very long time since i've posted here.. But here goes.

I've decided that i need new hobbies (you all know where this is heading). So im planning to learn C as one of them.

I just have a quick question. Would it be advisable to jump straight ahead into Visual C++, or should i learn basic C first? I only ask because it might be a different ball game between both, and learning vc may be "easier" or "better" due to its new age.

Cheers all.

IMHO, learning C would be advisable since you can't do anything good without knowing how to use pointers well. C++ has too much built into it. It is easy, but if you need to do something like create your own data type, pointers are almost always, if not ALWAYS, going to be required.

I'm having trouble compiled some source files with the C extension, I've used Dev to compile but keep getting some kind of error with a line being highlighted in red, the line is in every source file and is

#include"pul.h"

It's highlight when I compile.

There's an INSTALL file included with this and was wondering if it is compiled in a different method?

I'm new to learning C++, so please excuse my noobness.

Would it be more worthwhile to learn Visual C++ or start with the C++ console applications.

I recently purchased Sames Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days! (Second Edition) [isbn: 0-672-31070-8], and it starts off with console applications then as I was looking ahead went into object-orientanted programs (visual).

Just needed a starting foot. I just downloaded the recommended program from this thread: Bloodshed Dev-C++

Just needed a starting foot. I just downloaded the recommended program from this thread: Bloodshed Dev-C++

Just a tip for the future: If you use a compiler other than Microsoft Visual C++ (.NET or not), it is not technically Visual C++. The term typically used for that type of application is a GUI application or in the case of Dev-C++, a Windows application.

IMHO, Dev-C++ is great for beginners, and I recommend sticking with it. I also recommend starting where you are "supposed" to start in the book. If you jump into GUI programming, you'll find the code overwhelming (start a new Windows Application project in Dev-C++ and see what the code skeleton looks like to see what I mean).

I've found that CDT in Eclipse has a lot of really nice features. It managed to pick on the fact that I have Cygwin GCC installed and is now using that. Do you reckon that this is the best compiler, or are there better alternatives? Can you use other stuff with it apart from GCC?

I have been interesting in programming for a long time but had no real utility for it till now. All I know is html, ssi, some javascript, some php and some mysql. Meaning I can deal with those scripts but not that I ever took the time to script any from the ground up, I have done some severe reverse engineering and restructuring scripts together when needed but other than that....

Anyways, I thought I might ask what language yall would suggest me learn so that I can eventually program programs similiar in function to these programs Spybot, Ad-aware, Y'z Dock, windowblinds, photoshop lol, etc. And even forms for users to fill out that then get entered into a database.

From what I can tell Visual Basic is too limited, and bulky and requires dependancies(aka VB to be installed). Same thing with Java although it can work across platforms. I feel the most important one to learn is C or C++? Assembly is also interesting.....

But I understand learning to program something like Y'z Dock requires much knowledge of API's and other things not just C++.

I've found that CDT in Eclipse has a lot of really nice features. It managed to pick on the fact that I have Cygwin GCC installed and is now using that. Do you reckon that this is the best compiler, or are there better alternatives? Can you use other stuff with it apart from GCC?

Can you please show me the page with everything I need to download on it? I went to the eclipse site and the C++ page but I couldn't find a download link for the GCC....

I recently switched Java compilers so I uninstalled Eclipse for Java, but it hinted that I use the same one for C++... kind of weird but oh well.

Anyway, can you please tell me everything I need to download and show me a link? Thanks! I've been trying to start C++ for a while because I've heard it is the most useful and universal programming language, but I've been having trouble with compilers so I haven't been able to start..

Nevermind.... actually, I'm sick of Eclipse. Can somebody please give me a link to a page to download a C++ compiler? Preferably with as few prerequisites as possible, or everything in one download. I tried the Dev-C++ but I couldn't figure out what I needed to download with it... If someone could just post links to downloads that I need, that would be greatly appreciated.

PS I don't want the Eclipse SDK...

I was recently given a copy of Visual Studio 2005 Pro by my dad to give C++ a whirl; Ive got experience with HTML, ADA, COMAL, BASIC, PHP and SQL programming to a limited level; but I really need to get into C++.

Is this all I need to get started with it up and running? I have plenty of books on it and these sites mentioned here are very good indeed it seems!

Is it just a matter of install VS2005 and off I go?

I was recently given a copy of Visual Studio 2005 Pro by my dad to give C++ a whirl; Ive got experience with HTML, ADA, COMAL, BASIC, PHP and SQL programming to a limited level; but I really need to get into C++.

Is this all I need to get started with it up and running? I have plenty of books on it and these sites mentioned here are very good indeed it seems!

Is it just a matter of install VS2005 and off I go?

Pretty much. Initially, you'll be creating Win32 Console applications. If you have any specific questions and can't find the answer in MSDN, post 'em here.

Hello everyone. Im taking intro to C++ at school and we're required to use the folllowing template file to begin our programs:

/************************************************************
* Program:		(Program Name)														 *
* Program ID:		(filename.cpp)													 *
* Programmed by:	Adam Bailey												  *
* Date Completed:	(Date last edited)											   *
* Purpose:																		   *
******************************************************************/

//Compiler Directives
#include "stdafx.h"
#include "YOUR_FILE_NAME.h"  //Change to match .cpp file's name

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <string>
#include <cmath>

CWinApp theApp;   //The one and only application object

using namespace std;

/*********************************
*		MAIN							 *
*********************************/

int main( )
{
	return 0;
}

The problem is Visual Studio Express C++ or Dev C++ doesnt allow creation of the atl and mfc header files. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

How different is C# from C++? I'm a beginner to programming, and want to go into C#, but I'm wondering if it'd be best if I learnt C++ first...

Pretty different, and there's no real need to learn one before the other. If anything, it may frustrate you to learn about pointers in C++ and not have a safe equivalent in C#(other than delegates).

mIRC Scripting (introduced me to If statements and the like), to HTML, to Perl (RAR!), to VB (lol ponies).... but I stopped there cause I just can't sit down for long enough and focus on learning stuff *brain short circuits*

I'm gonna start teaching myself PHP/C/C++ soon and this thread is surely going to help me, but I'm a fair bit older than alot of the people in this thread looking to get into it too (20 as of last month) and I currently really only know HTML well. I was wondering, how long did it take some of you to learn C/C++/PHP to a somewhat decent level from scratch?

I'm curious how much time I might need to invest into learning. :)