Task Manager system tray icon has disappeared

I have Task Manager running all the time, minimised in the system tray so it shows CPU usage. Until recently, it worked fine. The problem is that recently, when I minimise Task Manager, it disappears! No icon is displayed in the system tray (no, it's not just hidden as an inactive icon!)

I have the option selected which hides to tray when you minimise it. When this is not checked, Task Manager will minimise to the task bar as it should. Therefore, I think it is still running when I minimise to the system tray, but it's icon just isn't appearing. I remember this happened to me in Win2K a while ago, but I have no idea if I ever fixed it.

No idea why it has suddenly stopped working. Anybody got any ideas what's gone wrong and how go get the CPU usage icon back?

Cheers.

Fiwek

yeh i have the task manager run minimized at startup too.

try deleting it from startup - putting a new shortcut to it in and setting it to run minimzed again....

hmmm

i dunno

Originally posted by baphomet_ie

try deleting it from startup - putting a new shortcut to it in and setting it to run minimzed again....

I can't try that now cos I'm at work, but I'll give it a go later when I get home.

I don't think it will work tho. I've tried closing down Task Manager and reloading it (by using Run... taskmgr.exe). However, minimising it gives me the same disppearing act :( I can't see that launcing it via Run or via the Startup folder will make any difference. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.

Fiwek

I don't have it running at startup, but I decided to take a look at mine. I found that had the same problem as you, when it minimised there was no icon in the system tray. After fiddling with it I got it to minimise to the system tray.

I know it sounds strange but try this:

Close it then open it a few times using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, using the options always on top, minimise on use and hide when minimised all checked.

Is seems to me that it minimises to the system tray after 3 or 4 executions and then doesn't for another 3 or 4. :s

w00t! 400

Cheers for the info. And yes, it does sound strange but we're dealing with Windows here so I'll give anything a go :)

Like I said before, I'll have to wait till I get home before i can try anything (only a couple of hours to go...). Any more suggestions are welcome tho (like if anyone knows why this is happening, and maybe a permanent fix?)

Thanks again,

Fiwek

Do you have "Hide Inactive Icons" on because sometimes that can become a little hairy. Check that and the options in Task Manager itself :)

Originally posted by creamhackered

Do you have "Hide Inactive Icons" on because sometimes that can become a little hairy. Check that and the options in Task Manager itself :)

The options in Task Manager aren't a problem because it used to work before!

Like I said in my first post, I do have hidden SysTray icons but it's not just hidden, it isn't there at all!

When you say it can become "a little hairy" do you mean you've found bugs in it? I suppose I could disable this feature and check if the icon disappears then. Yep, it's worth a go!

Still no luck.

I tried disabling the "hide inactive icons" option. I also tried the "open Task Manager a few times" suggestion. No difference - the icon still disappears.

Looks like I'll just have to live without it unless anyone can figure out Windows illogical logic.