The P2P test.

I am planning a test to see which P2P programs are worth your while, and which will be an ultimate waste of time.

I will rate everything from ease of installation, to ease of configuration and use. I will use a stopwatch and time the length it takes for me to download a song, from the moment i click 'search'. I will test the program's potential for large files, as well as small ones. And I will test its ease of finding even the rarest of files.

Of course, a single test on any of these aspects isn't without accidental bias. Anyone wishing to help me by performing this test at different times of day, for example, or any suggestions of which programs I should include, or what tests to perform, please, post!

Here's a list of program's i've decided on to test so far:

-Kazaa (Sharman)

-Kazaa Lite

-DC++

-eMule

-BitTorrent (original client)

However, these are only the programs i have ever used. Please, suggest more.

And here's what i intend to review:

-Ease of finding the program

-Ease of installation/configuration, including necessity for router configuration and documentation, and loading time.

-Complexity and configurability (Is it bloated? Can it play its own mp3s, or does that feature not even work?)

-Time of download for searching of a Top-10 song

-Time of download for searching for a rare B-Side oldie

-Time of download for a popular large (legal) file

-Time of download for a rare large (legal) file

-Size of current community or popularity (obviously affected by connection time)

-Requirement to share (Do you need 50GB to start with? Do you have to give out all your bandwidth? Can you hoarde?)

-Corruptability (Does it hash files? Can I expect my file to be intact, no questions asked?)

I will use a stopwatch and time the length it takes for me to download a song, from the moment i click 'search'.

I look forward to that for bittorrent.

Ah, it's not going to be to good. Most of the time, since other people host the files on their computer, it is going to run off their connection. So for one file, you can get tons of different connection speeds all varing into total different numbers. And as for finding "rare" files, as I said before, people host these files, and many of them are not online.

I just don't think it will be to accurate, and it is a waste of time.

;)

I use emule personally, just because i can have my machine running 24/7

makes it easy for downloading things such as Sonic X cartoons :cool:

BT is good for new release things I have found though

kazaa.....R.I.P....the network is down hehehe

Don't bother using Kazaa. Just tried it yesterday for hell of it and couldn't find anysongs. And when I did find one, the people just turn off uploading.

Don't bother using Kazaa. Just tried it yesterday for hell of it and couldn't find anysongs. And when I did find one, the people just turn off uploading.

SO where are the masses now? emule?

Although I have no actual time results yet, it takes eMule about 3 days for a popular song, and the unpopular ones, although found in search, still haven't started. DC++ got both types in about ten minutes, and Kazaa Lite didn't find any unpopular songs.

moeburn, your definitly doing something wrong

eMule is slow, but not that slow

plus it increases the more u use it and the more you share

eMule is #1 in finding rare files

I have been using eMule for 1.5 years, so I shouldn't have to worry about "queue points" or whatever they call it. But thats a demotion for the final results anyway :p

You're wrong about that, DC++ seems to be better at finding rare files, but both seem to find files that the other can't find. I'll have to look at it more.

I have been using eMule for 1.5 years, so I shouldn't have to worry about "queue points" or whatever they call it.  But thats a demotion for the final results anyway :p

You're wrong about that, DC++ seems to be better at finding rare files, but both seem to find files that the other can't find.  I'll have to look at it more.

584702690[/snapback]

well i dl, 3 gigabyte files in 3 days, not 3 megabyte files :happy:

oh ya, and my internet isn't that good anyways :no:

IMO eMule is very fast. At first kinda looks slow because they measure in KB/s instead of Kb/s. (one kiloByte = 8 kilobits) I've gotton up to 384.44 KB/s download rate, which happens to be my max bandwidth with comcast. (with about 10 dl's running)

You should really try mIRC. Though hard to use, it is very good at finding rare files. Most of the stuff on DC++ came from mIRC.

584737037[/snapback]

Thats true, but it would be difficult to judge, since it is not a P2P filesharing client by intention.

The problem with emule, is that it is impossible to upload to someone greater than 10kB/s. If you increase your upload speed limit, it will increase the amount of people you're uploading to, and you can't change that number. Thus you are pretty much guaranteed to never experience speeds above 10kB/s from one person at a time.