Video games and death!

I was just playing Star Wars: Jedi Outcast and stumbled upon a tricky level.

The level in question involved jumping onto small platforms which were above a huge void. I was so immersed in this level it was unreal. I missed one platform and fell to my death. I noticed that when this happened I got all tense and it felt like I was bracing myself as if really falling.

My question is will there be a point when video games become so immersefull, so that when you die in the game you might die in real life. I say this because it is said that sometimes in dreams when you believe that you have died your brain goes into shock and believes that you are dead.

Just wondering on your comments.

I say this because it is said that sometimes in dreams when you believe that you have died your brain goes into shock and believes that you are dead.

This is an urban myth I've been hearing for years. Has anyone reputable ever actually come out and said this is the case? How would they know? Can they tell what people are dreaming?

You can't die from it but it is quite a thing of beauty when you become so immersed in a game as to feel tense or shake from it like it did when I played the first level of Clive Barker's Undying

My question is will there be a point when video games become so immersefull, so that when you die in the game you might die in real life.

It seems to me like it wouldn't be very popular, although it would be an excellent feature. Ninja Gaiden could be a good candidate for this.