.NET Client side detection

Question

Ph8l

I was just wondering if there was a script(vbs or js) for detecting if .NET framework was installed on a machine that visits a webpage?

Not for any reson, i just havn't heard of it before and was wondering if its possible. :laugh:

5 answers to this question

dannysmurf

Since the script would have to have access to the filesystem and/or registry in order for that to work, if it is possible, it's a security breach.

Sn1p3t
I was just wondering if there was a script(vbs or js) for detecting if .NET framework was installed on a machine that visits a webpage?

Not for any reson, i just havn't heard of it before and was wondering if its possible. :laugh:

584725368[/snapback]

Not without an ActiveX control (here's an example), however you can have .NET application installation programs to make sure it's installed before installing your program.

rundkaas

I see that IE(Maxthon) send along this information in the header

Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+MyIE2;+Maxthon;+SV1;+i-NavFourF;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322)

So as to find if the machine says that the framework is installed would just be to check for it in the header?!? (this could be unacurate as people could change the header very easily.

Diffused Mind
I see that IE(Maxthon) send along this information in the header

Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+MyIE2;+Maxthon;+SV1;+i-NavFourF;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322)

So as to find if the machine says that the framework is installed would just be to check for it in the header?!? (this could be unacurate as people could change the header very easily.

584727955[/snapback]

Only MSIE and its variants display that header though.

John

You would have to use either ActiveX (requires IE) or check the user-agent string, which according to Diffused Mind?, also requires IE. And web developers ask why so many pages are written with IE in min:rolleyes:s:Moved to Web Programmingi>