Linux Appz which are good for the job?

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Axistek

Anybody know of a Motherboard Monitor type app for linux?

Thanx

lm_sensors and a gkrellm plugin ;)

There are lm_sensors frontends though too.

• 1 month later...

LINUXCONF ... Enough Said...

This is the best utility for anyone using LINUX. It's command line and GUI based and can setup and manage your whole LINUX system with ease without having to modify every file in /etc.

• 2 weeks later...

For Video, you can also give Xine a shot (I've had and haven't faced any problems so far). Also, why would you want Trillian on Linux? Many clients such as gaim and everybuddy have the same functionality of allowing you to connect to users using different clients/protocols (ex. MSN, Yahoo, AOL, etc.) Webmin is also an excellent tool (kind of like Linuxconf but it's web-based)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Everbuddy shoud do the trick to manage AIM, ICQ, and MSN accounts, but I haven't used it since I still couldn't manage to get the Net working in Linux.  There's also Gaim (Gnome AIM) and lICQ (ICQ for Linux).  I don't know if there's a Linux version of Trillian, though.

gaim IS the Linux version of Trillian ;) It has plugins for MSN, ICQ (including ICQ Notify), Yahoo!, Zephyr, IRC, Napster, & Gadu-Gadu

It also has plugins for spellchecker & autoreconnect

In short, gaim OWNZ for Linux :)

For web browsing, I recommend using Mozilla or Opera!  Netscape 4.x is too obsolete and Netscape 6.x has too many apps added on to it, but I'm not quite sure with the Linux version of it, though.

IMHO, Phoenix is the best browser for Linux available. It has the core features that made Mozilla popular without the bloat. It's smaller and faster than Mozilla, and you can add more functionality to it by installing Extensions :)

Worth at least a look ;)

yes this is a old thread resurected but for good reason... what's a good burner app in Linux as nobody mentioned that yet. I went thru it and didn't see anything that i could use for CDRW drives...

PS - oh wait.. LOL it's not that old .. maybe hrs old :LOL

what's a good burner app in Linux as nobody mentioned that yet.

Check -> https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...ST&f=30&t=49983

I went thru it and didn't see anything that i could use for CDRW drives...

Well, you never tell us what kind of CD-RW you have. If it's IDE, then you will need the SCSI emulator for it. I hate CD-R/RW in Linux, which FreeBSD has the better support for both IDE and SCSI without require any of emulator.

well linux ITSELF is one of the best apps as it frees us from the clutches of Darth Bill...I have a much faster, better machine running xp and this still runs faster with full gui and several servers...whomever was asking about CD burners...I have very good luck with gtoaster...redhat 8 is what I use as it's becoming the standard over here...s.u.s.e. in Europe...if you have a geforce4 card you can get the nice nvidia driver and I even have a cursor drop shadow now with nvidia's driver...hafta edit /etc/X11/XF86Config for that...if you're a newbie...BACKUP that file or possibly bye bye GUI if you screw up...here's how...cp /etc/X11/XF86Config you'll see options for the vid card...add the lines under the vi editor (real linux men and women use vi) Option "CursorShadow" "on"

Option "CursorShadowXOffset" "4"

Option "CursorShadowYOffset "2"

changing the 4 and 2 makes the shadow move away more from the cursor...I prefer the values 5 and 2 myself. Works on any nvidia card from GeForce 2 and up. (My other machine is a monster...this is an athlon1400/w60gigseagate 7200 and IBM 45 gig 7200/sblive/geforce 4ti 4200/internal zip 100/wingman usb controller for the win98 on that IBM drive/antec case/ms intellimouse optical/old hp k/b that feels nice)

all you need do is add these lines in lilo.conf or grub.conf hdXX (don't use XX of course use your drive letter as listed in /etc/fstab hdXX=ide-scsi

and hdXX=ide-scsi for your reader and writer...then any burner will work...personally I love gtoaster

Here's my updated list:

MP3 - Kazza like - LimeWire (Just make sure you have Java correctly configured)

IRC - XChat

FTP/FXP Client -

CD-RW/CD-R/ Images:bin,cue,iso Burning -Nero Like - X-CD-Roast (Better than Nero since I can overburn successfully with X-CD-Roast. Meanwhile, no Linux CD Writing program can burn VCD's yet.)

MP3 Player - XMMS (Better than Winamp3)

Video - SVCD,VCD,Divx Player/Players - Xine, but install the DivX codec as well!

Web Browser - Mozilla

Trace Route -Neotrace Like- I think "traceroute" should do this!

NewsGroup Reader/Decoder - Mozilla also has a newsgroup client.

CD-Ripper --> MP3 - I'll have to check on this one.

DVD-Player - There is one or two included on the Mandrake CD, but I forget which ones. I think Xine should do this, though.

Image Manipulator/Extractor --> Iso - If I'm not mistaken, RAR for Linux should do this now!

Word Processor Or Office Suite - KOffice or OpenOffice

Emulation - Windows XP/OSX on Linux - VMWare, since Codeweavers and WineX still have bugs to fix.

Scanning - XSane

Anti Virus - Although not necessary, you might want to give RAV Antivirus a try. http://www.ravantivirus.com

AIM - GAIM

ICQ - GnomeICU (Licq isn't really good with updating contact info)

MSN - Everybuddy or Jabber

Yahoo! - Yes, there's an actual Yahoo! Messenger client for Linux you can get on their web site.

As for the web browser, I might want to give Phoenix a try in a couple of days!

Emulation - Windows XP/OSX on Linux - VMWare, since Codeweavers and WineX still have bugs to fix.

First of all OSX can't be emulated secondly VMware and wine are not the same, VMware is a virtual machine and wine is a windows emulator. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

First of all OSX can't be emulated secondly VMware and wine are not the same, VMware is a virtual machine and wine is a windows emulator. :rolleyes:

Wine is the win32 API for linux, it isnt an emulator :p

WINE = Wine is NOT an Emualtor

I think he was just taking into account the fact that not all of us us x86 hardware to run Linux. I suppose technically this isn't emulation, but the conecpt he was pushing was that occasionally you'll need to run non-linux native programs: here's how I would do it.

# emerge app-emulation/mol

^ one of the best commands you could type if you have OS 9/X installed.

If you're running a powerpc linux distro WINE isn't going to be a whole lot of use to use to you. All those proograms you need just won't work. Running OS9/X on your computer can be really handy when you need to get that fix of Tony Hawk or show a powerpoint presentation to the boss.

Details on the project are here:

http://www.maconlinux.org/

With the release of OSX X11 i think it may become easier to make the *nix apps under os x than to make the os x apps run under *nix in the next couple years.

• 11 months later...