MCE 05 DVD Decoder

Hey guys, in mce 2005, Yes its a legal copy off my msdn. When I try to play a DVD, it doesn't play and says that I haven't got a decoder installed, etc. Anyone had the same problem and fixed it?

:) Any ideas?

Thanks.

My suggestion is just to uninstall NvDVD and install it again, or try another decoder, if you got another one with your DVD drive or graphics card try that one. It may be a bug with MCE 2005 and my copy is still on order and isn't expected till wednesday so i can't try it out but i know it works with 2004.

By the way, I have this same problem. I don't have any codec packs installed, fresh MCE 2005 installation, DVDs play in WMP, but not in MCE :(

Arghh, this sounds like a problem because im using NvDVD on my MCE 2004 setup and i have just bought MCE 2005 and after trial and error and with MCE not accepting our trusted ffmpeg i only want to use NvDVD so, hmm, guess ill have to let you know when the postman turns up on wednesday because i have already formatted the unit that will have the new version put on it.

Jeez why couldn't MS just have paid a few more dollars to buy a damn decoder as long as it was only in the MCE flavour they wouldn't of got into any trouble. As much as i love MCE i am now thinking that i have just wasted another ?100 on MCE 2005 because they have never got it to work like it should as this thread is giving so many flashbacks of the driver problems that came with previous editions.

Jeez why couldn't MS just have paid a few more dollars to buy a damn decoder as long as it was only in the MCE flavour they wouldn't of got into any trouble. As much as i love MCE i am now thinking that i have just wasted another ?100 on MCE 2005 because they have never got it to work like it should as this thread is giving so many flashbacks of the driver problems that came with previous editions.

584749066[/snapback]

*snipped* - Hateful>

Most people would be paying twice if they did that, plus, it's not a damn retail product. Do you also want to cry about XP Pro OEM not including a CPU and Mobo in the price. :rolleyes::

Edited by configure

@cal2002: i did note that the they should include the decoder in MCE only, not the other flavours of XP, why? because its one of the primary functions of that flavour of OS and they have never really been able to get it right as this thread and the umpteen other threads on the previous editions prove.

I do agree that OS's should be decoder free because its not fair on other suppliers and XP should not even include WMA decoder/encoder for the same reason, but MCE is a different case because the item in question is for lack of a better term an app and when you buy an app you expect it to already include all the functions without having to buy others, example: you don't buy a DVD playing program like WinDVD and then find you have to buy a decoder on top of it do you?

And regards to you retail statement, no it is not retail as such, but now you can buy the OS and remote legally on their own through a supplier as long as you buy the hardware covered in the oem agreement which can be anything as little as a cheap HD cable.

Having a monitor is primary to a PC. Speakers are primary to playing an kind of media. Is it shocking that your OEM copy of Windows is not shipped with these?!?! The fact that it's a OS focused around "Media" has nothing to do with it. My speakers are focused around the fact that I have a sound card, doesn't include it, right?!

Microsoft is not having to shell out *very* large amounts of money to put WMA/WMV in Windows. MPEG-2 money goes right to the MPEGLA and CSS goes to the DVD CCA. As soon as you can explain how much *per copy shipped* a DVD decoder is, the fact that Cyberlink, InterVideo, Sonic, et al would cry antitrust and the huge amount it adds to the price of Windows, I will say you are correct.

Your example is not valid. I purchase ZoomPlayer Pro for $20 and then had to go purchase DVD decoders. ZP says it plays DVD's, but does it ship with decoders? No.

I am well aware of the licensing regarding adding a DVD decoder to the total package and i do think that the extra cost should be put onto the consumer just as would happen with any other DVD playing application, im not aware of your situation but when i bought PowerDVD a few years back i was well aware that part of the cost i was paying was going to the licensing of the codecs in the total package, im well aware that when im using iTunes that Apple has paid the fee for encoding in MP3.

And your still talking like i want them to do it in the standard versions of XP, im not, that would not be fair on providers of the codecs and im suprised they haven't got into a fuss about WMP now including MP3 support which must be taking business away from them, just the MCE edition thats it and this is only because MS can't seem to get it working very well with different sources of codecs, this thread is a prime example.

Just b/c you dont see it as a "standard" edition is not a valid arguement. You are talking about an OS that is not meant to be sold as a product by itself. There is ZERO reason why it should include a DVD decoder. It costs extra money, when an OEM should have the choice to include what they want. It would ship with a sub-par decoder. You are not even thinking about dd audio. dd pas thru. dts. all of these costs money. If they ship a dvd decoder, then you will cry becuase you can't have 5.1 audio.

The only reasons you can come up with just plain suck. This thread is a prime example of how people can not read and are stupid. The fact that this thread is here is a prime example of why you will never see this OS in BB in a box. Becuase people are too stupid to make it work. When it doesn't work they want to say it's because a DVD decoder is not shipped with it, really it's likely becuase you don't have a dx9 gfx card in your machine. Give it up until you learn enough to argue.

And there he goes again, the codec kid comes off with more better than thou advice, oh and being as rude as he can to boot.

First off, this is not my problem here im trying to help someone else. I have MCE 2004, i have bought MCE 2005 on its own and it will arrive next week so this concerns me as im worried about the same thing happening to me as 2004 works fine with NvDVD.

Secondly most of what i am saying is because i am talking about the MCE application and it being a competing product to the various providers of similar gear such as cyberlink, sonic etc etc, where the standard OS is a conduit for them to make money with their products i don't see MCE being the same because it is bought with the primary function being home entertainment and should come with all the needed software to do so, like i said before when i buy a DVD player such as PowerDVD i don't expect to pay any extra for the decoder because i expect it to be included in the cost.

Perhaps my argument would hold more if MCE was a seperate application as it should be, and yes i see the MS endgame in what they are doing with MCE, but the fact is any software you buy should include all the components to complete its primary functions and the cost should reflect that.

But it's not, thus your argument just makes you look ignorant. What *you* expect is different from what MCE was developed for. Your arguments don't hold up and are basically pure crap. You are saying that *you* expect it to ship a DVD decoder, that it's not a "standard" OS and it should be a "seperate application".

Even if it was a "seperate application" your argument would still not apply becuase it would still not be a retail product. It's dumb to "expect" it to include anything when its not a retail product! *snipped* - Hateful

Edited by configure

No codec kid, i have seen you being rude to just about every person you post against. Its like yesterday on the MCE systems when i said i thought Alienware produced what i thought were the nicest looking machines you instantly replied with saying they didn't design machines to go in these situations, how is that for a sign of ignorance.

And MCE was designed with the primary function being home entertainment so in my mind it should come with all the software to perform that primary function just like competing products do.

*snipped* - Hateful

Edited by configure