MCE 05 DVD Decoder

*snipped* - Hateful You are saying that me saying that Alienware are not what most people want in their living room somehow relates to you not knowing what you are talking about in relation to DVD decoder+MCE? Maybe you can explain that, or at least try.

MCE was designed to sell to OEM's and have them fully support the systems. You still don't understand that. The fact that it's designed for "home entertainment" means little. You opinion does not matter, i'm stating the facts. What you think does not match how MS made and sold the product for years now.

I'm not here to make friends with you, I would just suggest posting with smart things to say. If you are sick and tired of it, leave. No one is forcing you to reply to any of the posts here. There is an ingore function. use it. I'm sorry that you dn't know enough about some things to comment with good remarks, but only you can change that.

Edited by configure

*snipped* - HatefulWhat i posted was for compatablility problems because MCE does have a real serious problem with compatability and including a decoder would most likely solve that problem, and now that MS has changed the licensing terms this sort of problem is going to become a regular problem.

Edited by configure

I thought you were going to ignore my posts? Or do you switch sides more then Kerry? I know that you want to look cool and think you are right, but better luck next time son. The fact that you replied after saying you were going to ignore all my posts says all people need to know about your knowledge (maybe lacking it?) My sig directly relates to the amount of stupid noobs around here (You included). Anyone downloading and installing loads of pirated software is almost as smart as a guy replying to a post after stating he would not (Don't know any of those people, do we)

I told you not to incure your wealth of knowledge on anything i say like you often do with peoples posts, you don't help them out you insult them instead because you think you know better the Alienware MCE and this thread as an example.

Do you think im gonna sit idle when some kid with an attitude problem insults me.

I was stating there that you don't know everything but post as though you do, but i didn't think anyone would go and locate a thread and spend time quoting someone, really im touched by your persistence.

Find the thread? It's on the frontpage, dude. Maybe you are not sure howto locate that? I think you would be the only one. Anyway, yet another failed attemp by you to look right. Said. What is this, 0 for 7 or something? And I like how you keep replying, good job sticking to what you said. You have failed at yet another thing in your life. :no:

It makes sense to me that a Media Center edition should be able to play media, including DVDs out of the box. What's so strange about that? That's like buying a car without a gas tank since DVDs are a big part of the media experience in 2004.

but it is a OEM copy. It is not a retail copy and should not be purchased or used by the average computer user. When you actually purcahse a Media Center PC from HP, it comes with the decoders installed because HP provides them.

It's like buying a crate engine from Ford, not buying a car from them. You don't expect a crate engine to include everything the full car does, right? The engine is a big part of the car, right?

but it is a OEM copy.  It is not a retail copy and should not be purchased or used by the average computer user.  When you actually purcahse a Media Center PC from HP, it comes with the decoders installed because HP provides them.

584751426[/snapback]

I'm saying that MS should've included a DVD decoder, but whatever. It's not like anything people say makes MS listen. :p

So, you would rather pay for a decoder twice then just pay once? What's your reasoning behind that? You have to remember that this is *not* a retail product. It's sold to OEM's and system builders.

So, you would rather pay for a decoder twice then just pay once?  What's your reasoning behind that?

584751450[/snapback]

Who paid for it once? The ****ty ones that come with DVD drives are generally watered down versions that I wouldn't use anyway. Currently I use MPC.

but it is a OEM copy.  It is not a retail copy and should not be purchased or used by the average computer user.  When you actually purcahse a Media Center PC from HP, it comes with the decoders installed because HP provides them.

584751426[/snapback]

But that has changed in the fact that although it is not stricly retail, through MS's own rules it is now possible to legally obtain the OS and remote through a store providing you buy a piece of hardware with it and that can be pretty much anything. Still i would really just prefer it as an app rather than another OS flavour but im pretty sure i have worked out their endgame in this.

My point in this thread is that MCE has compatability problems, it always has. By including a decoder they can clear that problem up fairly easily, and although not all that related MS now include an MP3 encoder with WMP so that it can perform the functions that people require of it.

Microsoft has a utility that allows you to check and define which DVD decoder you can use, and will also check for WMP10 compatibility. I've attached it, and hopefully this helps.

That being said, I can see both sides of this argument. If MS included a DVD decoder...which one would they use without stepping on the toes of all the other DVD pack manufacturers thus incuring more anti-competative lawsuits? You would think that it should play DVDs out of the box, but once again, it would make more work and potential conflicts for OEM system manufacturers if they added third party DVD software.

DECCHECKSetup.zip

Who paid for it once? The ****ty ones that come with DVD drives are generally watered down versions that I wouldn't use anyway. Currently I use MPC.
The fact that you use MPC for dvd playback means you know nothing about quality. You also bring up the point of "watered down", which is just what you would get if a dvd decoder was shipped with it. You guy's don't think of the money here, you have no clue. It's quite clear. The "watered down" means 2 channel audio and a lack of other features. If a decoder was shipped, that's what you would get. i can tell you that for a fact. So, you are going to pay twice anyway, becuase you want better audio, better quality, more features and settings. You want 5.1 audio (Payable to Dolby), DTS (Payable to digital theather systems) then you want MPEG2 (Payable to MPEGLA) and you want DVD decrypting (Payable to CSS folks)

The fact that you all want decoders, mixed with you now knowing what you are talking about is equaling you wanting MCE shipped with decoders that will add $30-40 to the OEM price tag, plus OEM's (Who it is meant for) charging you for that extra $30-40, plus the cost of whatever MPEG-2 decoders they already ship with their products. It's plain stupid from a point of view of the makers of the product. You really want to pay almost $200 for an OEM copy? You really want to pay extra for crap you will not be getting? Sounds dumb. And that's why MS will not be doing it, plain and simple.

My point in this thread is that MCE has compatability problems, it always has.

It's not a retail product, it has no compatability problems under normal use. It is still not meant to be sold to the everyday joe, even though it can be. The simple fact that poor MPEG2 decoders are out there is the main problem. This is why nvidia now works with MS on a great set of decoders for use in MCE. It will not be shipped with it any time soon. It sounds like a good idea, but really, it's dumb. Its not good for MS and it's not good for the consumer.

Microsoft has a utility that allows you to check and define which DVD decoder you can use, and will also check for WMP10 compatibility.  I've attached it, and hopefully this helps. 

That being said, I can see both sides of this argument.  If MS included a DVD decoder...which one would they use without stepping on the toes of all the other DVD pack manufacturers thus incuring more anti-competative lawsuits?  You would think that it should play DVDs out of the box, but once again, it would make more work and potential conflicts for OEM system manufacturers if they added third party DVD software.

584751530[/snapback]

I am all for stripping the OS from having codecs installed as it wouldn't be fair on competition and in my opinion WMA/V is already being anti-competative which is why i am pro the EU ruling. But I see MCE as a competing product to the likes of Cyberlink and others who are producing similar software that includes the DVD decoder because like i said a product should contain the needed components subject to the requirements of its use.

I'm using MCE 2005 as well and the only way you'll be able to play DVD's in Media Center is to install any version of InterVideo WinDVD 6 I tried PowerDVD and nDVD and WinDVD is the only one that works..period

run a search for windows xp media center edition at microsoft.com

click the first link and it takes you to a page that says about halfway down

that for the best expierience use WinDVD 6 .. if you read in between the lines it means if you don't use WinDVD 6 you won't be watching DVD's in Media Center

you can get 5.1 surround sound in Media Center playing DVD's that support 5.1 channel if you install WinDVD ..if you don't like WinDVD I refer you to my one previous comment above

I have MCE 2004 running with NvDVD pretty well, i have ordered MCE 2005 and i was hoping it would just be a case of putting NvDVD on the new version but after this thread it leads me to believe that i might be trying out your suggestion, postman allowing, ill let you know on wednesday of my own findings.

I have MCE 2004 running with NvDVD pretty well, i have ordered MCE 2005 and i was hoping it would just be a case of putting NvDVD on the new version but after this thread it leads me to believe that i might be trying out your suggestion, postman allowing, ill let you know on wednesday of my own findings.

584751795[/snapback]

I believe MCE 2005 and WMP10 are picky with what decoder is installed, due to the image I posted, which was taken from my own system running the utility I posted above. I have WinDVD 6 installed, and set it up to use that by default.

*edit*

The other codec is from the K-Lite codec pack. Hope I don't get lynched. :rolleyes:

post-72923-1097994658_thumb.jpg

If you already have the previous version you will probably be able to get an update, i do but thats another story in a different thread. I personally prefer to format before a big update of that kind, you just get that new car smell feeling.