Making Dial-Up faster? Any Tips?

Does anyone know how to make Dial-Up Internet connections faster? Does anyone here have any tips or tweaks that can effectively make dial-up faster or perform smoother?

I've seen options to enable hardware/software compression etc. before and I was wondering if there are any other tweaks and some other options to make 56K a bit faster?

Get broadband

(sorry) I think there are some companies that claim that they can increase the speed of your dial-upconnection. I think the way it works is, you connect to their servers using dialup and whenever you want to access a webpage their servers retireve it then compress it so that it can be sent to you faster. Althoguh if I were you I'd just go for broadband, cause these services a rather shifty and aren't garunteed to increase speed for everything (eg mp3 files etc. will take jsut as long as they are already compressed)

Get broadband

(sorry) I think there are some companies that claim that they can increase the speed of your dial-upconnection. I think the way it works is, you connect to their servers using dialup and whenever you want to access a webpage their servers retireve it then compress it so that it can be sent to you faster. Althoguh if I were you I'd just go for broadband, cause these services a rather shifty and aren't garunteed to increase speed for everything (eg mp3 files etc. will take jsut as long as they are already compressed)

584754518[/snapback]

I second that... :)

Thanks for the quick replys :) Are they're any methods to optimize a 56K connection?

584754579[/snapback]

hmm.. did you read any of the above responses? or just pretend to?

Thanks for the quick replys :) Are they're any methods to optimize a 56K connection?

584754579[/snapback]

:angry:

Read the above reply. NO you can't get more from a 56K connection. If you want more, you need to get broadband ( DSL or Cable ).

:rofl:

:s That's not what I meant, I was asking for information on enabling more HTTP connections (Windows restricts downloads in the API to 2/4 active at once), and I wanted to know if hardware and/or software compression (PPP or IP Header compression) made any difference.

Comments like "Get broadband" isn't exactly an answer? I didn't want a flamefest, just some advice on tuning a connection???? :rolleyes:

Obviously, broadband doesn't seem to be an option, so stop suggesting it.

You can call your ISP and see if they have that 5x faster technology, I'm not sure what it's called. Keep in mind it's only good with certain things, mostly text and webpages (the pages themselves, not necessarilly the images).

still i don't belive that will work.....
Of course it works, I've used it myself.
Propel Accelerator improves your browsing experience by dramatically accelerating the delivery of Web pages to your PC. Our unique combination of intelligent browser caching, compression technology, and edge caching enables Web pages to be delivered to your browser with minimal latency at maximum speeds over your existing dial-up connection. As a result, you can expect a very noticeable improvement in response time.

post-32618-1098039206.gif

Lol 5x faster technology, thats a rip off. The only thing it is is software, you can buy that software. Basically it stores and caches the websites you go to so when you go back to it alot of the information is stored on you computer. And you cannot download any faster with that software either. A freind had it and after a awhile cuase of that software he had like 500 megs stored up from that program. Isp's making a killing of it, go buy it for like 30 dollars I think, after awhile if you stay with that isp you will be paying alot more than if you went off and bought that software.

. . . you will be paying alot more than if you went off and bought that software.

584755083[/snapback]

I was not aware that you could buy this software outright. Can you tell me its name and provide a link?

Does anyone here have any tips or tweaks

You could try this freeware.

CableNut Software

CableNut is a tool for optimizing your Windows TCP/IP stack i.e. your Internet Connection. We have provided a way to tweak almost every possible TCP registry entry via the CableNut program. You can load "CableNut Custom Setting" files that are included with the program to tweak your Internet connection. You can make your own "CableNut Custom Setting" files save them for later use, or distribute them to anyone with the CableNut program.

Dialup, Cable, and DSL connections are supported out of the box.

Here is one https://www.ascentive.com There use to be alot of these around. Dont think there is that many now not sure though. Like I said its only good for browsing and get ready to store heaps of internet trash on you computer. Looks like alot of isps are using that propel. Do the math http://propel.com/tryit/cost.jsp and see if you getting ripp off by buying a product like that or paying monthly. There is others besides that ascentive program, I dont know how many though anymore like I siad at one time there was alot of these programs out but seems like they died out. I consider it a ripp off cuase it makes people think you can download faster but it dont only good for webpages and like I said you can buy programs like that, depending on how much the isp charges you could get be paying more.

I dont know wher you live but check this out http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/Fios/packagePrice.asp

FIOS is a Fiber opticline V has it for 40$/month for 5megabit connection down and 2megabit up get rid of Dial up because alot of websites are not really great on dial up .

And this new FIOS is avlaible i heard in many States and ares Wish i could get it iam payin 494 for 3megabits down through comcast. but hey if you dont donwload big files and the files you get are like less then 2megs way less and all ya do is chat and do Email and thats All stay with 56k otehrwize YOU CAN NOT MAKE 56K FASTER

Yeah verizon, bellsouth and some other company is doing it now seen it in a article on iexbeta. And eventually everyone will catch on and offer that to. Now you can get dsl the lowest speed though which is far better than dialup though for like 24 dollars. Dialup is gonna die one day. I read somewhere that over half the people on the internet is using a fast connection now and its growing every year more and more isp's are offering it and the phone companies are fixing the lines for it. You might able to do some tricks like them web accelators for web pages but you cannnot do the one thing that matters actually download faster if you are on dialup ur just sol.