I did it! No more Norton!

I stick with only NAME KNOWN BRANDS! :laugh:

584774467[/snapback]

heh, Microsoft uses Nod32 as their virus protection software. Brand name enough? ;)

I made the switch from Norton 2003 -> Symantec 9 -> Nod32. I left Symantec because I couldn't auto-update the virus defs, and that works fine with Nod32, and in fact the schedule is highly customizeable.

heh, Microsoft uses Nod32 as their virus protection software.  Brand name enough?  ;)

I made the switch from Norton 2003 -> Symantec 9 -> Nod32.  I left Symantec because I couldn't auto-update the virus defs, and that works fine with Nod32, and in fact the schedule is highly customizeable.

584775734[/snapback]

And you dropped Symantec because of that? :wacko:

Something had to be wrongly installed on your system for you not to be able to do auto updates. I have Symantec server installed and deploy to all my systems at home, server check for updates EVERY NITE and 3am, if there is one, grabs it, and update the definition on my other systems automatically. :yes:

I hear a lot of ppl talking about NOD32, how much is it? and NO, I'm not switching to NOD32 :p

Edited by EZRecovery

I stopped using any Norton product cause of the bloat and poor performance after 2002. I then did use SAV 9 for a while with mixed results. If I had to use any Symantec product I guess it would be SAV9.

But why would I? Once I found NOD32 that was it, at least as far as anti-viruses go. If anyone does use some of the more known highly marketed anti-virus's bloated with resource hogging junk and are happy with it fine. All I'm saying there are other better IMHO source soloutions. :cool:

im intereted in nod32

but i have a laptop and a desktop does that mean ive got to pay double?

is there a good cheap antivirus that i aint gonna have to buy twice :crazy:

can someone run by me what the 3 sections for nod32 are like anon etc , which one do I need on because they are constantly scanning my files and the internet mon. kills my bt connection.

I wanted to try out the new EMON (beta1) so I have uninstalled Kaspersky and installed NOD32 and it is smooth. My system is faster when copying files (the Kaspersky engine was slow, I knew that but I didn't realise just how much it slowed my system :blink: ).

I have used NOD32 before but an older version. This new version does seem much lighter on the system even though it is using around 14MB memory.

I didn't like the way I still have to enable scanning of all files but at least it got me to check all the options :p Maybe its a good thing ;)

One question I have is in the EMON/IMON it says it is monitoring POP (Port 110) but mentions nothing aout outbound email. Does it only scan incomming?

One question I have is in the EMON/IMON it says it is monitoring POP (Port 110) but mentions nothing aout outbound email. Does it only scan incomming?

584790545[/snapback]

No it does not scan SMTP, there would be little point considering it scans POP3 which is incoming emails, plus it also scans new files that you put on your system.

So why waste resources by scanning out going emails, there is no point !

damn... I don't know about the antivirus itself (NOD32) but it's the ugliest website I ever seen for a website

I'm sure the AV is pretty good since a lot of people are using it now, but damn! If they think they'll bring confidence to new customers with this ulgy and chaotic website, they are so wrong... they really need to take care of that.

In marketing, for a eBusiness, a nice website is an integral part of success. And that's even more true for a AV company...

No pun intended on the soft here though

No it does not scan SMTP, there would be little point considering it scans POP3 which is incoming emails, plus it also scans new files that you put on your system.

So why waste resources by scanning out going emails, there is no point !

584791775[/snapback]

If everything on the computer is scanned why waste resources on scanning POP3?

I like SMTP scanning as say you have a virus on your system that is sending out hundreds of emails but NOD32 doesn't detect it yet then it could notify you that you are sending hundreds or emails with this attachment, etc.

Some might argue it is the job of a firewall and it is in a way however I don't see why they offer POP3 but not SMTP scanning :unsure:

damn... I don't know about the antivirus itself (NOD32) but it's the ugliest website I ever seen for a website

I'm sure the AV is pretty good since a lot of people are using it now, but damn! If they think they'll bring confidence to new customers with this ulgy and chaotic website, they are so wrong... they really need to take care of that.

In marketing, for a eBusiness, a nice website is an integral part of success. And that's even more true for a AV company...

584791816[/snapback]

I like their site. It has the all the info you need and is easy to navigate. Perhaps the layour could be a little better but I can say that about pretty much every site as everyone likes different things. As long as the info is there and easy to find I don't really care what it looks like :)

Guys, a little note about the memory usage values in Task Manager. .

I've seen some people note that NOD32 uses this amount of memory, and others say that it uses that amount of memory, and still others say that Norton uses so much memory. . If I am not mistaken, those nice little RAM values are how much code and data the application has currently swapped in to RAM. This value can change depending on wether or not the application is running in the foreground or the background, and wether or not the application is currently displaying a GUI, etc.

I use Norton 2003, and I must admit that I notice a significant slowdown after it is installed. I may try NOD32 myself. Or at least Symantec AntiVirus Corporate.

Well, have been using Symantec Corporate 9 for quite some time and never had any problems regarding virus or performance ... never used NOD32 ... but as some of you are talking about it ... i'm just curious, except for the liveupdate failing (i've seen it a couple of time on some pcs @office ... but never experienced it myself), did SAV ever fail for any1? or is there noticable diff in performance between these 2?

One other thing is, I see in both of the products website that they are ICSA Labs certified ... but when I goto the ICSA Labs webpage, I dont see NOD32 in the "Anti-Virus Cleaning" section (its in the "Anti-Virus Detection" section only).

By the way, for those of you who are still wondering about NOD32 and WinXP SP2 issue, they stated on the changelog that they have included support for the Windows Security Center and Data Execution Prevention on AMD64 (I dont see this on Symantecs homepage).

Personally, I can spare *some* performance for security issue (if its not too much like Norton Anti-virus product line) ... I think I'll stick to SAV9 for now until I find ... umm ... maybe SAV10 :p

I just formatted/reinstall Windows on my system (XP SP2 slipstreamed) and installed NOD32.

I have been using it all day and my system does seem faster (even more so now that I formatted heh).

I do like this new EMON beta1 a lot :)

584791816[/snapback]

They just updated their website... http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

looks very nice to me