I did it! No more Norton!

I don't like Norton, or any virus scanner. I remove every virus manually. IF I even get one...

As for the disk and registry cleaning and stuff. I recommend TuneUp Utilities 2004, as someone stated on the first page of this topic. It's really a great program, with lots of functions. Very userfriendly too! :D

I don't like Norton, or any virus scanner. I remove every virus manually. IF I even get one...

As for the disk and registry cleaning and stuff. I recommend TuneUp Utilities 2004, as someone stated on the first page of this topic. It's really a great program, with lots of functions. Very userfriendly too! :D

584793858[/snapback]

Tuneup utilities is a very good piece of software, problem is my trial just run out. :(

Some might argue it is the job of a firewall and it is in a way however I don't see why they offer POP3 but not SMTP scanning  :unsure:

584792081[/snapback]

Ok, NOD32 scans POP3 because an incoming email may have a virus attached, if it has it will remove it.

As it scans POP3 that means all your email and attachments are safe and clean, there would be little point scanning SMTP if NOD32 has already scanned all incoming emails via POP3 and the files on your harddrive.

That is why it scans POP3 and not SMTP.

Ok ... some of you are saying NOD32 takes very little resource ... this is what I got from a friend of mine who uses NOD32 (the indepth analysis)...

post-74251-1098588895.jpg

he must be scanning his system at the time he took the screenshot , anwyays guys is it lighter than symantec antivirus 9

584795361[/snapback]

yes ... he was running the indepth analysis (full system scan) ... and I tried the same of my SAV9 ... yes ... resource is hooged here too.

can someone provide the direct donwload link for Windows XP version of NOD32... on its site its askin me for hte user/oass wen I click on Download/mirror

They mention a link for the trial version on the top of the page ... the download page is for registered users as i understood.

Finally took the big step!  Uninstalled Norton and installed NOD32!

I notice a huge difference as my computer seems much faster!

Now the question!

I used to use the system tools like win doctor, disk check, disk cleanup, and all those goodies. What do you reccomend to replce all those files?

584771473[/snapback]

You did a great job by getting rid of stupid Norton, I personally recommend MCAfee suite, which is much lighter and protects your computer even better

I swear complaining over a 14mb foot print from norton o0. I use the corporate v9 of norton and it actually leaves a 35mb foot print but I really don't care because I can stare at my cpu usage for hours on end and see 0% cpu usage. Also if you can't spare 14mb-35mb of ram you need to buy some more ram cause I don't see how you can surf the internet with IE or even a gecko browser if your that concerned about ram usage.

You did a great job by getting rid of stupid Norton, I personally recommend MCAfee suite, which is much lighter and protects your computer even better

584798355[/snapback]

no comment lol......I think this one speaks for itself.

no comment lol......I think this one speaks for itself.

584800801[/snapback]

Could you explain this stupid reply you just made, what do you want, benchmarks, reviews, test...cause it's not a problem...and certainly not a mystery that MCAfee suite is ten times lighter than trashy Norton

NOD32 seems to be using too much on my win2000 system is 14mb average? or is there something that I can do to reduce this to what most people have mentioned in this post i.e. 4mb

just bought nod32

if it keeps my system save from those nastys and dont slow it down lots then thats good in my book lol :D

Edited by dragon2611

Can anyone compare NOD to Avast? I have been using Avast for over six months now and it's been flawless so far - and FREE! It has automatic program and virus list updates, POP scanning, etc... I don't know how I could justify paying for NOD unless someone can show how it is THAT much better than Avast...

OK, I'm sold on NOD32!

Thing is, I'm currently using Norton Internet Security 2003, so if I get rid of NAV, will it work ok with Norton Firewall?

While I'm on the subject, has anyone had any problems with Norton Firewall? Or are there any other recomendations?

Gulfisland

Tasks screenie showing useage.

I'm not concerned about the amount of resources being used, just kinda curious as to how / why your setup runs so lean?

584773220[/snapback]

That's lean??? Wait till I get home, I run 21 with NOD32 running and usually just 22 when I'm surfing. Show ya later!

I tested NOD32 , now I can finally reply to the numerous threads all over forums , about comparing NOD32 to Norton.

What I suspected all the time is true, NOD32 uses as much resources as Norton 2005 ,

(NOD32's three processes used about 21 MB) Nortons various processes used about the same, but have more functions , and are protecting more things, in and out emails etc etc , than Noddy32), it's slower to scan , is flimsier, doesn't protect at all in the solid integrated way Norton does, etc etc.

So to all you Noddy's out there , get a life and stop slagging Norton , just because you don't manage to get it to work.