win xp & win2k networking problem..

need some help in getting a win xp and a win2k pc to see each other via a hub.

nothing was changed on them.

i can get them to see each other if both are 2k.

help....... ive looked everywhere

there are no special settings, just remeber several important thing.

1. Permissions, make sure each computer has appropiate sharing permissions.

2. if using tcp/ip (which is most common these days) make sure they are on the same subnet and within a series that can see each other. For example

Computer #1

ip = 192.168.0.1

Subnet = 255.255.255.0

Computer #2

ip = 192.168.0.2

Subnet = 255.255.255.0

If you follw these 2 guidlines you should be able to search for the first computer from the second one by searching for a omputer by ip. or Vice versa.

If you are worried about physical connections then don't forget to use your ping command.

So from computer #2 you would go to the command propmt and type

ping 192.168.0.1 if you get a response then they are connected and you should re-evaluate your software settings, like permissions.

It's not necessary, and probably not advisable to use IPX, TCP/IP is all you need. It is however probably a good idea to enable netbios over IP on the NIC if your using Staitc IP, and I would recommend not using x.x.x.0, x.x.x.1 or x.x.x.255.

You cant use .0, and .255 is the broadcast address.....

IPX has no real use apart from ancient novell networks, and wont make a difference to TCP/IP networking from my experience.

Do as commando has said, start at the lowest level. Ensure they are both on the same subnet, and try pinging.

If you cant ping it, then you have a very basic problem, quite possibly physical (ie:cabling etc).

(There is little point trying to access the machine via Windows Networking if you cant even ping it. )

most LAN games require IPX tho , well older ones so who knows.... but i've never had a problem networking 2k and XP machines, even yesterday i set up a wirless network with a 98 machine and 2 XP laptops (sweet!!!!) but it works easily for me..

Use TCP/IP as the only protocol for networking and you should be fine. The other 2 you should have is Client For Microsoft Networks and File and Print Sharing (the XP machine will have QOS too).

Just install those 3 components/protocols and then share drives or folders. Make sure they are both in the same workgroup so it's easier. Just right click my computer and click properties and then go to the last button there and click change to put them on the same workgroup the reboot. they should see each other fine. With TCP you don't have to set up IPs cuz it'll get it's IP from the other machine.

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

With TCP you don't have to set up IPs cuz it'll get it's IP from the other machine.

Not true. Unless one of the Machines (or maybe a Cable Router), is acting as a DHCP server you will need to manually set each machines IP address ensuring they all use the same subnet mask.