Is stealing ethically right or wrong?

Is stealing ethically right or wrong?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Is stealing ethically right or wrong?

• Ethically Right
    • Ethically Wrong

In a black and white world it would always be wrong but there are always exceptions.  e.g. stealing bread to feed a starving family...

"but what your family doesn't like bread, they liked cigarettes and instead of giving them away you sold them for a price that was practically giving them away?"

584814509[/snapback]

Fat Tony, you make everything so clear now.

To not steal is the pretty much the basis for all society no matter what culture. It seems that stealing is only ok if you are the one doing the stealing and not have something stolen from you.

Stealing is wrong, but a capitalist society breeds stealing.

I personally stole a Gameboy when I was 6-7, I knew it was wrong but I was a poor child (no excuse) and felt that I needed this Gameboy as most people I knew had one and I recall seeing it everywhere on TV, magazines etc.

Before anyone starts I did give it back and yes the police were involved as I stole it whilst in school, they spoke to my parents and my god did my parents go crazy. I learnt my lesson be it the hard way. I ain't no thieve now either nor have I stolen anything since that time.

It seems that stealing is only ok if you are the one doing the stealing and not have something stolen from you.
That about sums it up for the U.S. Govt. Well said.

Laws, like morals, are a subjective matter....and like opinions, are personal. Some believe in some laws, and not others. If you are asking if stealing is wrong as a general consensus, then I'd have to agree. But, if you are asking if stealing from "entities" that steal themselves is wrong, well that discussion could go on forever.

What a stupid thread.

This is Neowin, where we talk about computer-related issues.

Um, no coffee this morning? Read the thread title again. The individual is asking for opinions for a paper. Add your opinion about the topic or not...why the hostility?

Yup Stealing is wrong and there is never a good way of stealing or stealing for the right reasons.

Trying to justify stealing is just as worse as stealing itself and worse.

I'm having a hard timing figuring out if this poll is for real or not. Is there any place in this world under any cirumstance that you are freely allowed to take something that isn't yours and not question whether or not you should take it?

I can't think of one.

its most often wrong, specially if you steel from someone (corperations is better but still not okey)... And steeling office material and stuff is always right ;)

I have to agree with some people here- It depends on who you steal from, in my opinion. What it all comes down to is: What goes around comes around. If you steal from someone, be prepared to have something stolen from you. If you accept that risk, then steal until your heart is content.

Stealing food for your starving family - In the United States, there are things called food stamps, welfare, etc. Dunno about other countries though.

Pirating music, movies, etc. - I think just because you can't afford to pay for music or see a movie doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to enjoy it. It costs them absolutely nothing for you to download it off P2P for free if you can't buy it to begin with. There are also single parents who can't be bothered to drag their children to the theater, but nothing is stopping them from buying the DVD when it comes out. I say if you can afford it, then pay for it.

Overall stealing is wrong, but I think in certain cases, it can be excused.

As a purely ethical question, it's wrong. Primarily it comes down to greed, and greed is bred in any society where money is an influencing factor in the ability to maintain a stable/comfortable lifestyle. Of course, not everyone in these societies steals, but that's because their ethics and morals tell them it's wrong.

Either way, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.....I'm sure we have all stolen one thing or another in our lifetime....from a peice of gum that didn't belong to us right up to d-loading a file off your fav fileshare program....

Even the term stealing is something of a puzzle.....take a look at taxes....for some, the government steals from us at certain levels....the record companies pretty much steal from the artists....the movie industry steals from joe blow mr. dolly grip....everyone steals, it seems to be rooted within todays society and seems to just get that much worse as time goes on....for some its a way of life, for others its a sin....and for some out there, it just doesn't even matter.....

Personally, I try not to steal....I'd hate it if someone stole from me....mind you, I'd kinda enjoy it if I caught the bugger....heh heh.....I guess its all about karma in my books...and how you were brought up....we all know what is right and what is wrong, at a fundamental level....how we all choose to act apon impulse at the spur of the moment is what we have to decide, and when it comes to stealing.....I've always made the right choice....