Mars & Back in 90 days

ok im not a physics buff but....

distance from earth to mars = 7.8e10

time = 90 days = 7776000 seconds

velocity = distance (in meters) / time (in seconds)

thats gonna be 10030.8642 m / s

:omg: wow

In the article I read yesterday, they did quote that they are hoping for 11 km/s

Wow, sounds pretty cool.

Mars and back in 90 days definatley sounds better then 2.5 years.

Of course it will probably be years until manned craft are propelled using this method, but its still exciting.

Shame they will still have to put a plasma stream emitting satelite in orbit around Earth to accelerate you and Mars to slow you down. So you have to postpone your travels for a good few years. :blink:

Oh and we'll have to wait for them to build the aformentioned Plasma Power Plant. :laugh:

Shame they will still have to put a plasma stream emitting satelite in orbit around Earth to accelerate you and Mars to slow you down. So you have to postpone your travels for a good few years.  :blink:

Oh and we'll have to wait for them to build the aformentioned Plasma Power Plant.  :laugh:

584810950[/snapback]

spiegel has no idea what you just said please explain :|

spiegel has no idea what you just said please explain :|

584810976[/snapback]

You need one plasma beam in orbit around Earth to push you to Mars. Also you need one at Mars to slow you down when you get there, and also to push you back again. Without the second one you keep moving until you hit something. Which would suck.

Yes, but the satellites would not fire the beam at each other, or they would push each other out of orbit and into space.

584811006[/snapback]

Ultimate Suckage!

I saw a thing about this last year. I think it was NASA that built a plasma propulsion engine on some little satellite. They used regular boosters to get it into space and started on its journey. Then they started the plasma drive and it failed after like 5 mins and they lost the satellite to the depths of space. It would be cool if they could redesign it and get it to work, but it's probably just wishful thinking for now.

By my calcs, we could get to Pluto in just over 4 years :blink:

16 years 5 months at current speeds

Don't think so, but I ain't no physicist. Would be cool if they did though

Would still take 4.2 years to get to the nearest (except ths sun) to get to the nearest star.

OT: I think NO because when traveling at light speed mass because infinite... and I guess us humans can't really cope with that :p

My own idea however is that when we reach light speed we'll start dematerializing because the particles we're made of are heaveier and bigger then light so they probably can't go that fast or something and we'll dematerialize.. (i'm SO wrong on that one :p)

Anyways, this is cool news... :D This could eventually lkead to better things and we'll get to like, other solar systems!:woot:

^ mass is infinite at light speed? or is it zero

i thought mass was zero at light speed and thats why it would be possible at some point in humanity i read an article on this, then again i might be wrong

Einsteins relativity theory hasn't been proven wrong I guess, Spiegel. And his theory stated that the faster an object travels, the heavier it gets. Because lightspeed is the greatest speed possible (provable with a very simple experiment actually :p) the mass would be infinite... I'm SURE it was something like that. As a matter of fact I'm reading it on a dutch wiki :p

Einsteins relativity theory hasn't been proven wrong I guess, Spiegel. And his theory stated that the faster an object travels, the heavier it gets. Because lightspeed is the greatest speed possible (provable with a very simple experiment actually :p) the mass would be infinite... I'm SURE it was something like that. As a matter of fact I'm reading it on a dutch wiki :p

584811173[/snapback]

You've got it pretty much right.

As a moving body travels faster and faster, it becomes both shorter and heavier, thus requiring even more energy to accelerate it further. That's why the speed of light is like a big giant wall.

At the speed of light, a moving body becomes a singularity. It becomes an infinitely massive object of zero size and would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

I won't get into it now, but this means no body travelling slower than light will ever travel faster than light. However, this does not prevent a body from travelling faster than light, it only prevents an object from accelerating past the speed of light.

Basically, if we ever hope to reach the stars in any decent amount of time, it's going to require some warping of the space half of the space-time continuum.