Win2k over WinXP

I'd like to see what kind of hardware people are running in this Win2k vs. WinXP "debate".

I've got a sneaky feeling that your OS preference may depend on your system specs...

To start:

Athlon 1.4 ghz (b chip)

1280mb ram

GeForce2 Ultra 64

WD 7200/ ATA100 40GB

(2) Seagate 7200/ATA100 40GB

Athlon 1.333ghz

Asus A7V133 Motherboard

768mb of PC133

30GB ATA100

40GB ATA100 Hard Drives

60GB ATA100 /

80GB ATA100 /

Geforce3 Ti200 Oc'd to Ti500 speeds

Usual sound/modem/network periphs.

System: Dell Dimension

Speed: 700mhz Pentium 3

RAM: 512MB PC100

HD: 30 gig

Video: Nvidia TNT2 32Ram

Sound: Turtle Beach Montego 2

WindowsXP runs like butta!:D

clarification (suggestion!);

The hardware list works better if you list your OS preference at the end, so peeps don't have to look through the entire thread...

just a thought

Originally posted by superbeast  

clarification (suggestion!);

The hardware list works better if you list your OS preference at the end, so peeps don't have to look through the entire thread...

just a thought

there, fixed mine. :)

postcount++

I like XP cuz well seems to me it does every thing 2k does....the flashy snaze get's old quick but that's a easy fix...one can change the theam to classic and then change to catagore...and also change the start menu to the old styl as well! Speed doesn't seem to be a issue..maybe it's my machine. Yet if you do turn off all the animation it speeds up just fine...as for Hardware issues not seen any yet then yet again maybe it's my system....or that i download the correct drivers from the hardware's OEM. XP is a resource hog, that's why those specs on the box say what they say. when I installed the cd wouldn't boot, yet I was with out a O.S. so threw back on 98...no se....choose full install and had some issues after it discovered the 98 partion just told it to delete and it works just fine, no problems very speed even when all BS animtion ect running.....

P4 1.4ghz socket 423

Asus P4T motherboard

256megs of Rambus Ram...

Geforce 2 mx 32meg<<<---want more

Toshiba DVD; Plextor CDRW

IBM 20gig hrd drive

I run 2000 on my main box. It is rock solid and does everything I need it to do.

I have XP installed on my second PC in a triple boot scenario with 98se and Mandrake. While there is lots to like about XP, there are still too many issues for me to use it as my main work machine.

Originally posted by modem  

Athlon 1.333ghz

Asus A7V133 Motherboard  

768mb of PC133

30GB ATA100

40GB ATA100   Hard Drives

60GB ATA100  /

80GB ATA100 /

now we have found out who's the hard drive's ###### here :p

Originally posted by aleni  

dont ya hate those silly things ?:old:

I totally agree with the icons. I mean, the whole XP theme looks like one of the developer's kids came up with it...

"Oh daddy!! I want a blue bar thingy. Oh! Oh! I know!! I want the little button to be green. Pleeeeeaaaase daddy...."

Heh.

Originally posted by aleni  

now we have found out who's the hard drive's ###### here :p

Hey now. :p~ Just because I have a little extra cash to buy a few extra hard drives... just means I have the need for um... um... err... extra storage thats it!

Originally posted by modem  

Athlon 1.333ghz

Asus A7V133 Motherboard  

768mb of PC133

30GB ATA100

40GB ATA100   Hard Drives

60GB ATA100  /

80GB ATA100 /

Hey modem, im going to buy that same mainboard u have there

in the nexxt few months (new system im building) i just wondered if you would recommend it? :) Or if u have had any probs. Ta

*sorry*>

Hey, I would switch back to Win2k ... IF ... someone could give me multiple users logged in at the same time - AKA fast user switching. You gimme that, and I'll go back to 2k - hardware support is still better for it.

However, I kinda doubt anyone can really offer me that... now can they?

- Gurm

Originally posted by Gurm  

Hey, I would switch back to Win2k ... IF ... someone could give me multiple users logged in at the same time - AKA fast user switching. You gimme that, and I'll go back to 2k - hardware support is still better for it.

However, I kinda doubt anyone can really offer me that... now can they?

- Gurm

why? how many people use your computer at once?

that's one feature I'll never make use of in XP... I built this computer, and nobody else touches it, or I cut their hands off. My mother knows better, my brother, my gf, everyone. Hell, even the cable guy knows (I wouldn't let him put the network card in it, or touch any settings).

Originally posted by Robert_Hague  

Hey modem, im going to buy that same mainboard u have there

in the nexxt few months (new system im building) i just wondered if you would recommend it? :) Or if u have had any probs. Ta

*sorry*>

I *highly* recommend this motherboard as about the best SDRAM solution there is on the market. What I love is that it supports all current Athlon XP's, MP's, as well as rumored to support the new "thoroughbreds" with BIOS updates. If you have any questions about certain settings just email me to the address in my profile.