World population to reach 9 billion in 2300

UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- Three hundred years from now, the world's population will have stabilized at about 9 billion and we will look forward to living until age 95. In Japan, that bastion of longevity, people will be hanging around until they're 106.

India, China and the United States will still be the most populous countries on the planet -- if they still exist -- and Africa's share of the world's population will double to 25 percent. The average woman will give birth to two children.

Those are just a few possibilities projected in a U.N. report released Thursday, which lowers long-term population estimates because of new thinking about fertility rates in the future.

The new report acknowledges that population projections are extremely iffy.

"What will population trends be like beyond 2050? No one really knows," the report says. "Any demographic projections, if they go 100, 200 or 300 years into the future, are little more than guesses."

full story:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/05/un.world....n.ap/index.html

Apart from limiting factors on the human race (wars/space/resources/etc) we should theoretically hit 9 billion much sooner than 2300. Consider the fact that we've grown from 1.1 billion people(in 1850) to 6.1 billion(in 2000). And with the exponential curve of human growth, the growth over 150/300 hundered years should be MUCH larger than the growth over the past 150 years. I remember reading that if current growth trends continue, we should hit 9 billion by 2050.

6 billion :) Approximately

And I think that we'll reach 9 bil much sooner than 2300..

584876553[/snapback]

true i propose a sexual frenzy so we can reach that amount faster all in favor raise your hand

raises his hand

anyone else ? :shifty:

India, China and the United States will still be the most populous countries on the planet -- if they still exist -- and Africa's share of the world's population will double to 25 percent.

Ahah, very subtle! :laugh:

India, China and the United States will still be the most populous countries on the planet -- if they still exist -- and Africa's share of the world's population will double to 25 percent. The average woman will give birth to two children.

full story:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/05/un.world....n.ap/index.html

584874589[/snapback]

I'm sure Poster was talking about the United States :laugh:

No But seriously who knows what will happen population wise. What if theres a major disaster like a new form of the plague of some other disease which wipes out half the planet.

i really don't think we will be around at that time considering all the potential global killers we have now. and besides, the government will have a formidble way of population control.

Umm CNN is crazy. Census Bureau predicts to reach 9 billion within 50 years...

By 2300 it will be like 30 billion. Maybe the writer meant 2030?

EDIT: Census report http://www.census.gov/ipc/prod/wp98/ib98-4.pdf

584882474[/snapback]

Actually, both stats are correct...well as correct as they can be. We will probably hit 9 billion sometime around 2050. However, the UN report states that while the population will probably grow somewhat beyond that, it will come back down and stabilize at around 9 billion by 2300.

The report also states two other things:

- If the population growth rate were to stabilize at 2004 rates (1.85), we'd only have 2.3 billion people on earth on 2300.

- If the population growth rate were to continue on the same increasing trend unchecked, we would have 145 trillion people on the planet on 2300. Obviously impossible.

If you think the world population will rise until 30 million in 2300, I am affraid that is impossible. The population right now is rising, until certain point it can't rise anymore because there's not enough resources for everyone, the population start decreasing. Then it rise and drop slowly and steadily and then it stays where it was.

damn too many!!!! thats why we need wars: to reduce populations. else worl will get overcrouded and overexhausted.

i dont believe it will rech 9biliards so soon.

If you think the world population will rise until 30 million in 2300, I am affraid that is impossible. The population right now is rising, until certain point it can't rise anymore because there's not enough resources for everyone, the population start decreasing. Then it rise and drop slowly and steadily and then it stays where it was.

584889489[/snapback]

You know it is possible that we will be in space by 2300.

Apart from limiting factors on the human race (wars/space/resources/etc) we should theoretically hit 9 billion much sooner than 2300.  Consider the fact that we've grown from 1.1 billion people(in 1850) to 6.1 billion(in 2000).  And with the exponential curve of human growth, the growth over 150/300 hundered years should be MUCH larger than the growth over the past 150 years.  I remember reading that if current growth trends continue, we should hit 9 billion by 2050.

584877352[/snapback]

exactly what I was thinking -

true i propose a sexual frenzy so we can reach that amount faster all in favor raise your hand

raises his hand

anyone else ?  :shifty:

584882082[/snapback]

:crazy: now see here...

*raises hand*

:shifty: