Trillian 3.0 Alpha

Trillian has released after quite some time an alpha (not beta) release of Trillian 3.0 Basic (supposedly, even though some dialog boxes do say pro).

If you've only used Trillian Basic before, Trillian 3.0 is a huge step up from 0.7.whatever it was before. There is a much simpler UI coming with this including a new Preferences section which is separated into other sections, kind of like XP's control panel.

Some things have been added, like basic logging. Logging is only created on .txt files right now so no images are possible, but since its an alpha release, there's sure to be an improvement to come. There is also tabbed IMs for this release, although there may have been tabbed IMs before, although my memory's not clear. I DO know, however, that there is a unique way that Trillian groups your IMs.

For example, if you're IMing 5 people from a group called "friends" and 3 people in a group called "family", one window is set aside for your "Friends" IMs and another for your "Family" IMs which I find pretty neat.

Almost 100% full functionality all four (AIM, ICQ, IRC and Y!) clients are now included, including A/V(V only for Pro) for AIM.

Alpha version don't come without its bugs however.

One, it is a tad bit slow, and even though Task Manager doesn't show any high CPU or memory usage, the whole computer tends to get surprisingly slow (possibly GUI probs)

Another problem is that Trillian can not remember the placement of groups on your buddy list, so say you have Friends at the top, the next time you sign on it, it'll be at the bottom or something like that. 200+ buddies are allowed, but your buddy list could possibly be screwed up, as the program warns.

One more annoyance: when viewing other profiles, you still aren't able to see links or any type of formatting, which really stinks. Let's hope Cerulean Studios fixes up that part.

But other than those minor annoyances, if this is really going to be Trillian "Basic" 3.0...I'm anxiously waiting for beta and final :) I'm still using AIM 5.5 + MiddleMan, but am anxiously looking for something else that's stable..and get's updated as often as it should :)

I think your review completely hit it on the spot. I've been on and off Trillian since their early days, but the release of 3.0 alpha looks very promising. I agree with you about the AIM profiles though. For a basic version, it should definitely be included, as it's one of the big parts of AIM.

I agree with araditsu, on the spot. I really haven't been following Trillian Basic (Pro user), but it sounds like it's catching up to where Pro was, while Pro goes even further, as seen in the following image.

post-23120-1099816700_thumb.jpg

I agree with araditsu, on the spot. I really haven't been following Trillian Basic (Pro user), but it sounds like it's catching up to where Pro was, while Pro goes even further, as seen in the following image.

584878721[/snapback]

Yeah :) that and so many other great features to Pro, I CAN'T wait for this to be released. All testers please do your best to file those bug reports. :yes:

I've been a subscribing Pro User since the day Pro came out. Trillian is, without a doubt, the BEST IM client I've found for Windows, and it's worth the money to upgrade from the Basic version. <3 the Trillian.

I've been a subscribing Pro User since the day Pro came out. Trillian is, without a doubt, the BEST IM client I've found for Windows, and it's worth the money to upgrade from the Basic version. <3 the Trillian.

584878755[/snapback]

Just on Windows? I'd say with this new version it's the best on any platform.

Does it Support DP for msn messenger, and does it show who wants to talk to you and who closes the window on you?

I am pretty sure Trillian supports DP's now, you set it as a Buddy Icon. I'd hope it has the who closes windows feature, it's fun bsuting people :p

In all I can't wait to get my hands on the release of this, change me back from MSN 6.

for aim profiles, theres a plugin to view all the formatting (its called minibrowser)

the only thing ive noticed is that theres some huge spikes in processor use. and the new history/logging in pro is very cool. no crashes or complaints here.

wow Cerulean studios has done it again! man trillian is awsome!!! Back in the day when there were no pro versions i donated 5 bucks just becuase i was soo glad someone made something like this that actually worked, so when they came out pro they gave me a free key for life!!! man what a great company and excellent work! I'm glad there are companies like this around! <33 trillian

I have tried trillian on and off ever since it came out, and I can just never find myself to sticking to it. I use MSN most of the time and AIM sometimes, so I dont really need a multi-protocol IM, plus it makes me feel like when im using trillian, i'm being left out of the many cool features that the first party software has to offer. It just doesnt work well with each other. Sure maybe if everyone used trillian it would be great, but they dont. I dont know anyone personally that uses trillian, and the only people that do are the ones that use AIM. (probably cuz aim sucks). I mean compared to MSN 7, trillian 3 alpha is just not up to par, in my opinion. *shrug*

i heard it still has problems with filesharing..

because of that i uninstalled 2.01 some months ago,

and i thought it would be the first thing they fixed when making 3.0 ...... :unsure::huh:

for aim profiles, theres a plugin to view all the formatting (its called minibrowser)

the only thing ive noticed is that theres some huge spikes in processor use. and the new history/logging in pro is very cool. no crashes or complaints here.

584879517[/snapback]

This minibrowser plugin only works with pro, I believe. Trillian 3 Basic will not support plugins.