Is my company spying on me?

Yo,

The other day I was in add/remove programs and saw WinPcap, the open-source packet capture program for Windows installed on my PC.

I don't think I installed it. Is it spyware or is my company spying on me?

PS

I think it's all a conspiracy - that's why I posted in Area 51

LOL. Maybe they are trying to see what your are posting on NeoWin. They are probably monitoring your company network. Not sure about that program though.

LOL. Maybe they are trying to see what your are posting on NeoWin. They are probably monitoring your company network. Not sure about that program though.

584877166[/snapback]

I think there are easier ways to do that than using a packet capturer...maybe cos I use web radio and they hate that?

Edited by burning_jonny

Well I for one am not looking a pr0n...

And my boss is right there with us all day, so he would attest to the higher ups that I certainly am not slackking off.

Seriously, I think the whole big brother thing is a load of BS. Sometimes you have to put your trust in people. When they break it, that's when you can start going to the "extremes".

Whatever happened to "what'cha up to?" I'll tell you what websites I visit if you ask...not like it's some "big secret" (though some info like passwords or my penis size are)...

A company doesn't need to install anything on the actual pc in order to monitor your web habits, I'm familar with these programs, without anything on the client station they can tell what protocols your using, time of usage, how much your downloading/uploading, exactly what url your looking at and also compare the amount you browse and download compared to other users on the network. Plus they can tell what processes on the computer your running to check in if your running excel.exe or some sol.exe(solitare). As well as browse into your machine without logging in or you knowing. People don't believe companies do it but they do, and the employees are warned when they start but they don't care till they get caught. Course it all depends on where your working at, sometimes the companies just make idle threats.

Yes, any network administrator that is worth their salt can easily track your habits without needing to install anything on your machine.

The general rule is that is you're at work, your internet habits or regular computer usage is being monitored....

man.. its probably ad-aware... what relationship does it have with your company? im pretty sure your company isn't spying on you... they could be monitoring your activity, or it could be an over-ride to control your PC when people need help...