Multi-user ADSL

It is my understanding that no, this would not work. You would have to be logged in twice, which for obvious reasons, your ISP is not going to allow or only if you had two separate accounts, but even then, im not sure...

Why not just share the connection through your LAN?

Originally posted by Wizz  

I'm thinking of getting an ADSL Line. If I get 2 ADSL modems, can both computers go online at the same time?

connection sharing is the way to go!!!!

you'll only need 1 adsl modem, not 2!:)

Originally posted by mariusu  

connection sharing is the way to go!!!!

you'll only need 1 adsl modem, not 2!:)

yeah that's also ture.

it only a point and a click away. :D

I've got one computer downstairs, mine upstairs and I don't want to have to run cables or spend a fortune on wireless networking. We have a telephone point by each machine. I thought it would be easier

You can't do that because if one's connected then the digital part of your phone line is taken up (the line is split in two - one for digital and one for analogue phone use). It'd be like having two modems attached to the same analogue phone line, no dial tone.

You gotta network your house im afraid :ermm:

As I understand it, ADSL is not like a digital phone line (that's ISDN). It goes like this:

There are certain frequencys that a human can hear and cannot hear. By putting a microfilter (or splitter) into a telephone socket, it filters out the frequencies that a human can hear and shoves it through a telephone. It then filters the frequencies that a human cannot hear and shoves it through an adsl modem. Because you don't need those frequencies for anything other than the internet, it is hooked straight to an ISP (or staight to the internet with directDSL), therefore not dialing.

I thought it might be clever enough to know which modem to send each packet to, therefore allowing two modems.

Ok, that may be the way it works, but imagine it like this instead then:

You're on the phone to someone having a conversation, and someone else picks up the phone at either end and starts talking as well. The person you're talking to now makes now sense because the frequencies coming at you are all very similar (ok so different people transmit different frequencies with their voices being higher/lower but you get the idea.)

What you're effectively asking is if two ADSL modems can transmit and receive data down a phone line (it is done digitally) at exactly the same frequency and for the end machine to understand it. Never gonna happen i'm afraid. Its BTopenworld you're referring to isn't it?

Also, if two were connected you could effectively get double the bandwidth for your monthly subscription, BT aren't that stupid.

Actually i'm going to do it through Force9. It's ?22.95 a month (inc VAT) with loads of extras. >

I've just checked their site, i'm changing str8 away:DD

I'm thinking of getting an ADSL Line. If I get 2 ADSL modems, can both computers go online at the same time?

Your isp doesn't allow you to log in more than once?

I can log in twice and get two different IPs for my computers here. Also, some people I know can log in maybe 3 or 4 times because they have different dsl modem than I do...

Originally posted by atomoverride  

just get this hardware  and you can have 2 dsl lines, or a combo, 1 dsl 1  cable, 1 modem 1 dsl or any other combonation.

This is NOT DSL its ADSL there is a difference!

Originally posted by NETknightX  

Your isp doesn't allow you to log in more than once?

I can log in twice and get two different IPs for my computers here. Also, some people I know can log in maybe 3 or 4 times because they have different dsl modem than I do...

Try reading the rest of the posts firsts, its not the account thats the problem, its the fact that he can't use the line more than once.

Actually you can use a router and YOU DON'T HAVE TO DIAL.

I don't want to use a router because I don't want wires running across my house. However it looks like i'll have to.

Actually you can use a router and YOU DON'T HAVE TO DIAL.  

I don't want to use a router because I don't want wires running across my house. However it looks like i'll have to.

Be careful what router you get, some ADSL routers dont work with BT.

Worry not my dear Nick, I know what to get. There's a good one from Dabs, the Conexant AMX-CA61E. It doesn't need a mircofilter and it can work over USB or Ethernet. Cool eh?

Worry not my dear Nick, I know what to get. There's a good one from Dabs, the Conexant AMX-CA61E. It doesn't need a mircofilter and it can work over USB or Ethernet. Cool eh?

You sure that'll work? Cos my mate found one, phoned BT and they said it'd work, he ordered it, tried it and it didn't :(

I obv need to brush up on my ADSL knowledge :s

sigh... it's so much easier then you guys think... he doesn't want to run cables through the house, that's fine, there's already a cable going to the room more then likely he can use. It's the home phoneline system. They have network cards now that use the phoneline to carry the signal at 10mbs... it doesn't interfer with normal phone or dsl operations.

You can learn more about it here.. http://www.netgear.com/categories.asp?xrp=9&yrp=21

and if you shop at the right place it costs no more then a normal network card

I personally recommend this setup as I use it myself and have not once run into any problems.

Originally posted by Nick_Jones  

Try reading the rest of the posts firsts, its not the account thats the problem, its the fact that he can't use the line more than once.

My mistake...i missed that post. Sorry!