[Help] DSL disconnects when phone in use

Hey guys, I've had SBC Yahoo! DSL for a few months now, and everytime I receive a call or make a call, the DSL disconnects and becomes unusable until the phone is free. My home phone line is shared with the DSL line. I have a filter on every phone in the house, including the modem. I've called tech support, but their support is pretty bad. They said it was SP2, but I don't think that's it...

I have an alarm system in my house, and I heard they could interfere with the connection... could that be it?

I use a lot of phone splitters, could that be a problem?

For example: phone jack --> DSL filter --> phone splitter --> branches off to 2 phones

They told me to call SBC and get the phone line checked out, but I think you have to pay for that. I'm going to do that, but does anyone here know the problem first? Has this happened to anyone else before?

It won't be SP2. The filters split the fequencies into phone and dsl.

Try this:

Unplug everything

Plug in 1 filter

Plug in router

Plug in 1 phone

Test

Replace filter that you are using with each of the others you have

Borrow a friends filter or take yours over to his house and test them

Now you will find that it is one or all of the filters that is bad

Your alarm is connected to the phone line. Is there a filter on that?

I've tried unplugging all phones and just have one phone and the DSL with filters, and it still made it disconnect.

The alarm does not have a filter on it... I'm not sure how to put a filter on that. Do you know how?

I have the same filters as you have, as I have the same company as well, SBC DSL Yahoo!

Have you tried a different filter at all? As filters do tend to break/have problems, etc... so I've read.

Make sure you plug the dsl line into the correct filter port, as it is labeled, as well as for the phone port.

Mine is like this....

Computers > Router > DSL Modem > Filter

then

My Phone > Filter

Then the filter is plugged into my wall jack.

I don't have enough filters to replace them all, but I tried just the modem with filter and one phone with filter and it still disconnected. Everything is plugged in correctly.

I'm thinking that it is the alarm...

be sure to only have 1 filter between modem and your line, only certain filters will let you have more than 1 in a row connected to a single line (they need to have the green? wire cut), the alarm should be like any other telephone unless its hardwired, then you might have a problem, might need to cut the wire and fit a filter

Here is what I would do:

Unplug all the phones. Unplug the Modem from the two way filter and simply plug the modem directly into the wall. Ask a friend online to give you a call. It shouldn't disconnect. Connect one phone at a time with a filter. If, when you answer a call, it disconnects, cycle through all the filters with that phone. If none of them work, try the next phone. If you have cycled through each phone and tried each filter with it (and you still have the modem plugged into the wall directly, not through the two-way splitter), then there is something wrong with your filters. Do you hear a "clicking" sound or any interference when you make a call?

I had a problem with a filter falling out of one of my phone jacks and Sympatico solved it by getting a service guy over to put a filter on the main line, now we don't need a single filter in the house at all.

I used to have the same problem before switching to cable. I was with telus and there tech support was pretty bad also but back then they told me it was sp1 lol. anyway I bitch on till I got them to send a guy to my house when he came he just made the one phone jack for DSL only the phone would not longer work in that jack at all. After that was done no more problems. I guess it was not SP1 after all.

Okay here's what I've tried...

1. Disconnected all phones, plugged the modem directly into the wall with no filter, called my house with my cell phone. Did not disconnect (internet also seemed a little faster)

2. Plugged one phone into the wall with a filter, plugged the modem directly into the wall with no filter, called my house with my cell phone. DISCONNECTED

3. Tried same process as #2 on a different jack and different phone and different filter. DISCONNECTED

4. Tried same process as #2 but with filter on modem. DISCONNECTED

:(

BTW, I can hear static when I use my phone.

Anyone know how to put a filter on the alarm?

You talk about multiple filters in your house.

Aren't you supposed to have just ONE filter in the entire house that splits

the data signal and the phone signal?

Put ONE filter at the point where the phone line enters your house.

Or am I missing something? :huh:

every device in the house that is NOT the DSL modem, and is plugged into the phone line the modem uses requires a filter on it... this includes any alarm devices or panels that share the same phone line/numbers.

If you alarm system has s dedicated hard-line, then that shouldn't be an issue.. unless the alarm provider or installer cheaped out and is using you main line while sellign you a dedicated line package.

Do I need a special filter for the alarm system, or can I just use a standard one? Unplugging the phone cord to install the filter on the alarm won't make the alarm go off will it? :unsure:

HAHA SBC Yahoo! DSL....I had a one year contact with that slow..slow...slow connection. Finally after the year I got cable :D and been happy afterward.

I had the same problem..just check if you have filters in all of your phone jacks. Your self-installation kit should come with a few

*sorry if i repeated someones fix, i was too lazy to read all the post :D

HAHA SBC Yahoo! DSL....I had a one year contact with that slow..slow...slow connection. Finally after the year I got cable :D and been happy afterward.

I had the same problem..just check if you have filters in all of your phone jacks. Your self-installation kit should come with a few

*sorry if i repeated someones fix, i was too lazy to read all the post  :D

584883624[/snapback]

Just because you had a slow connection, does not mean at all it is like that for everyone, may just be your area, your package, incorrect setup, line problem, etc stuff.

I love how so far the past 2 years during Fall, they've upgraded every package to a slightly faster upstream, which is great for me.

Right now I download at the fast of 333kb/s down and upstream of 50-60kb/s up.

Well I tried to put a standard filter on the alarm, but the cable on the alarm is like a fat ethernet type one... :/ Even when I completely unplugged it, the internet still worked and still disconnected when the phone was lifter....

• 3 weeks later...

Okay well sorry to bring this topic back, but I didn't really fix my problem yet.

I called SBC, but they said they would charge me if it was a problem on my end, not theirs. So I tested the line by plugging in a standard phone into the telephone box outside on the side of my house. It seemed to be fine, there was no static like how their is when I talk from inside my house. So would that mean it's a problem on my end? :huh:

Then I tried putting a filter on the telephone box outside on the side of my house, and that fixed my problems. There was no static when I used the phone, and the internet didn't disconnect when I used the phone! :D Now there was a new problem, however. My connection was dramatically slowed down. Looking at my modem configuration page, it said it was connected at...

320 Kbps (downstream), 192 Kbps (upstream)

but it should have been connected at... :pinch:

1536 Kbps (downstream), 384 Kbps (upstream)

So is there supposed to be a filter on the box outside or not? :unsure:

Thanks