Does Your School Use Firefox?

Well our school have recently upgraded there network, server, everything, and security seems to be a big issue at our school but we still use IE. I would like to tell them to introduce Firefox to our school but i know that they wont do it as they will probably say "it has taken us along time to set everything up, and if we change this, it will delay things" which would probably be true but i would really like to see Firefox at our school. So does your school use Firefox or any other web browsers?

Yes, but it's the student's choice to use IE or FF (or Opera since I installed it into my account). Unfortunately, most students use IE (looks around the lab and sees not one person using FF). But when you get to the X terminals, you only have Netscape (4.7) and Mozilla (1.7). I wish they'd install Firefox.

Computers at my school (Palomar College) have it installed, but with no shortcut. I found it by looking through the Program Files folder... So I use it, but nobody else really knows about it.

well every computer at our school has just been loaded with XP Pro SP2 and eveything it up-to-date, but when i tried to install Firefox onto my school account, i got told off and i tried to justify myself and they said that we dont use unsupported software, whats that about?

For the lab computers we can install firefox and most of my class does, but the 1000 computers in the "computer commons" do not have it which is where it would be most useful. Those computers are so rife with spyware that you do not even want to check your email for fear someone might get your password.

Sometimes administration at school's are wayyy behind in current software news and such. Our school still uses Windows 2000 with IE 5.0, and sadly they think Windows NT has better security than Windows XP just because it has more service packs. :/

with the so called "upgraded system" they have basically stripped down XP, you cant even right click on the desktop, theres no run, search, controll panel, nothing. Just IE, my computer, MS Office and a school network thing.

Yep.

I work for the school now, too, and I asked if we can look into making it the default (IE is currently default).

Boss said no, maybe in a while, when people are more familiar with it, though.

Firefox is installed on every computers in the Engineering department at my university. They plan on upgrading to 1.0.0 when it comes out. I'm happy that we can choose to use Firefox and IE.

Sometimes administration at school's are wayyy behind in current software news and such. Our school still uses Windows 2000 with IE 5.0, and sadly they think Windows NT has better security than Windows XP just because it has more service packs. :/

584885427[/snapback]

IMO well secured Windows 2000 workstations still decent. and since it's a school, the security issues are treated at server level.

No, and we get kicked off the network for a week if we intall anything.

We also have a stripped down XP. No run command, right click, search, no access to most thing in the start menu.

But I know some tricks to get admin access.

The Computers at my school are damn decent for what they are used for. Word, Power Point, and all of the other MS Office crap, Internet, Photoshop 5. That's it.

Most of the computers are the same through the whole place:

Window XP Pro SP1

Pentium 4 - 1.5Ghz

256MB DDR333 Ram.

Every last one of them runs Internet Explorer. :p

Nope, but I have it (and my profile) on my network area so I still use it.

Win+R, f:\firefox, enter, and I have all my bookmarks, extensions, history, from any computer. (Y)

Only on the systems I use, the rest use IE. Then again, we have Windows ME and flooded with viruses. So we're in a pile of crap anyway. I dont think they employ volunteers for system admins as well. They think the computer is a "precious" thing with even the smallest problem can render it unusable.

But they give us the freedom to do whatever we like with it, actually, thats a good idea... I should make a team of administrators for the next school campus. Hhhmmmm... Thanks for this post :p I'll think about it.

584885427[/snapback]

Windows 2000 is one of the most stable OS's you can get. Thats from my own experience, not moving to WinXP till this year. 4 Years of using that OS and I never had a virus or hijack of any sort.

Though IE5.0 is worrying on that part, so I wont complain about that too much. But your comment is contradicting, wouldnt having less Service Packs mean that theres less vulnerabilities. There's a reason they call it "patching".

The again, my school uses MAC's. With IE and Safari installed on it. I asked the Admin to install Firefox and he said it would be a waste of time because noone would ever use it. And he doesn't want to make it to the default browser. :/