Controlling network bandwidth with 1 computer

hey

I was wondering if there was any software (preferably freeware) that will let me control the bandwith given to each computer on my home network, that I can use without having to instal it on each computer and can just run from my one.

My brother has recently been downloading a lot on his computer, and I can barely use the internet on my computer and I want to be able to give myself at least 20% of the bandwidth whilst he is doing this.

I am sorry if this has been mentioned before, I tried to use the search function but it times out all the time and took me a few minutes to just get this far so I cant really go around browsing other pages/posts.

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Version 2 if that helps at all.

Yea, I have tried that as well as DU Super Controller but I was after something I can just run on one computer if possible.

Edited by Brodel

i think there may be some way to limit it with the router, although im unsure because i dont have a lot of experience with them :unsure:

584896928[/snapback]

It depends on the router. I am purchasing a WRT54GS Linksys router and installing a 3rd party firmware that is supposed to allow you to limit the speed of the connections by the connection.

Yea, I dont think I can control it via my router.

It is quite frustrating, it seems all the ones I have tried only work by being installed on every computer. I tried bandwidth controller and it worked on the computer it was installed on but not the others, same for netlimiter and DU Super Controller. unless i have them set up wrongly

why not use a program like get right and restict the download speeds on each computer?

584897807[/snapback]

He isnt downloading with getright, and I also dont want to have to instal stuff on his computer if i can help it.

The problem with a remote program to limit download speeds is that program going to slow his computer down? It can't just tell the computer "You can't go any faster because I said so". You have to have something installed on the machine in order to make this work.

You might be able to set up a Windows 2000 RRAS server, install one of those programs to it, and point his gateway to that machines IP address. You point yours to the regular router and poof, you have a Internet limiting machine.

How old is he? Who pays for the net?

I had the same problem with my brother. I finally stopped being nice and told him he needs to do that **** when nobody's home or at midnight. If he is downloading in the middle of the day, I just send his computer a shutdown command and everything goes back to normal and he gets the picture.

I still want to get the router that can limit connections so he can download whenever he wants, as much as he wants, just limited to 20% of the connection.

He is 18, our parents pay for the internet so it isnt really that i am bothered about. its just that he is downloading from something that has no download or upload limit built in and it just kills my connection when he uses it. its just so slow it isnt worth trying to browse the internet.

Im not sure how to set up a RRAS server, If there is nothing that will work, i might just have to resort to installing something on his computer. i just would rather something I have complete control over heh :devil:

alright there'S alot of option for you. first you could get a router with an option to limit the bandwith to specefic pc. to my knowledge i don't think there is any personnal router taht can do this except maybe some linksys router with the help of a costum firmware. Secound you could place an old pc running linux as a routeur and configure iptable to do the trick. is fairly easy and there should be a custom script somewhere on the web that could enable you to do it. Finaly you could place you pc betewen the internet and is and install a proxy software capable of limiting the bandwith. there's a lot of freeware proxy soft around the net ... just google it