slakware

I've been wonderin for a whle now why so many people hate slackware and so many say it's a hard distro to set up and use. I've fond it the second esiest distro I've ever tried (that's a LOT of dstros) to set up and use. Jamd was the easiest (RIP) but even then I still prefer slack. It's installer is straight forward and has different options to choose from depending on your comfort with linux. It's not a graphical installer, but in my opinion it's easier than weeding though a bunch of crappy graphics tring to figure out how to install.

Can any of you slack hatrs gie me good reasons why you don't like slack r find it so hard?

I don't hate any Linux distro (including Linspire, which does have some good points for total noobs).

I have never tried Slack, but assume it is no more difficult than a Debian install.

Who are the 'haters', so we can gang up on them? :shifty:

P.S. I don't hate Windows, either, for the record. I just don't use it at home.

I hate Slackware becuase every machine I've attempted to install it on never worked properly. The first reboot would always result in a kernel panic. I don't get it, I can install Gentoo blind-folded, but Slackware, it just doesn't work for me.

umm slack haters are from noobville and the are scared when they cant do anything when there is no mouse on screen.

i love slackware i am in damn love with it .

584915238[/snapback]

That is quite a sweeping statement.

But anyway for me , I am no way a "noob" ( damm I hate that term) Slackware and Gentoo and such like are just plain to labour intensive.

I like a distro that I can get loaded and running in 40 minutes or less. My current distro of choice is Ubuntu ,30 minutes and its running .

Make em simple , less is more

Erm...yeah. For the record, I can get slack up and running easy in 25 minutes. It takes a mere 7 minutes (est. but max) to get Arch up and running from a CD install.

But anyway for me , I am no way a "noob" ( damm I hate that term) Slackware and Gentoo and such like are just plain to labour intensive.

I like a distro that I can get loaded and running in 40 minutes or less. My current distro of choice is Ubuntu ,30 minutes and its running .

584916145[/snapback]

I don't think I've ever spent more than an hour setting up a slack system, and that was completely customized. You can set one up in less than a half hour on a decent system if you wanted to...

Xylene, I've had distros do this before, so I don't doubt slack will do it to you (never seen it happen on slack though) but every other distro it's been because of a driver issue, mainly USB or video drivers causing errors. Every distro does it, all just at different times

584916145[/snapback]

lol.. ok ok .. i just pushed my sentiments a lil overboard.. but i wasnt serious on noobvile.

and if less i more and get it dont quick please is your requirement and u dont see slackware doing it for you , then i suggest u try slax , its a live-cd derivative of slackware, which also can be installed on hard-disk and usb drive. and has all the popular software add-on (modules) on the site.

http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php , its just 200 mb download. let us all know. :)

lol.. ok ok .. i just pushed my sentiments a lil overboard.. but i wasnt serious on noobvile.

and if less i more and get it dont quick please is your requirement and u dont see slackware doing it for you  , then i suggest u try slax , its a live-cd derivative of slackware, which also can be installed on hard-disk and usb drive. and has all the popular software add-on (modules) on the site.

http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php , its just 200 mb download. let us all know. :)

584917165[/snapback]

I tried both Slax 4.2.0 and Slax Popcorn and both of them failed to recognize my keyboard and my wireless adapter (USB). Is there a syntax I can use before running the gui command to get it to recognize my hardware?

Erm...yeah. For the record, I can get slack up and running easy in 25 minutes. It takes a mere 7 minutes (est. but max) to get Arch up and running from a CD install.

584917105[/snapback]

Yeah arch is insanely fast to get setup and running with. It might be the fastest installed OS around, its certainly the fastest install I've ever seen.

Xylene, I've had distros do this before, so I don't doubt slack will do it to you (never seen it happen on slack though) but every other distro it's been because of a driver issue, mainly USB or video drivers causing errors. Every distro does it, all just at different times

584917107[/snapback]

The weird thing was I tried it on a few machines and all of the installs results in that same problem.

The weird thing was I tried it on a few machines and all of the installs results in that same problem.

584918430[/snapback]

hmm...sounds like the install itself is screwing up and not recognising it, so it might have been a media problem with either a bad cd, or a slightl corrupt download.

I have never tried Slack, but assume it is no more difficult than a Debian install.

Hopefully the installer is a little better, the woody installer is a bit of a bitch, even the old FreeBSD installer is better imho.

I dont hate Slackware. I have used it before and loved it. But then gentoo came along, and I had to divorce Slackware for that. Gentoo is so awesome.

Ive tried alot of distros including: Redhat9, Fedora 1 and 2, Debian, Knoppix, Suse, Mandrake, Slackware, Damn Small Linux, and Gentoo. I loved them all. I still want to give Arch a try, but I have to wait to fix my desktop. I like gentoo on my laptop, and being in college, I need at least on machine which remains constant.

[uPDATE]

Well the install was easy enough, I upgraded to a 2.6 kernel, installed my nvidia video card drivers, and installed dropline gnome without problem, relatively painless actually. Had to edit text files more than I might have had to with another distro, but thats not a big deal.

All in all, a positive experience.

1) it's slackware

2) slackware ain't hard to uinstall/use, debian is way harder

584928869[/snapback]

1) I know how to spell it, if you read the rest of the post it was fine, the keyboard just didn't register it for the title, which you cannot edit....

2) I agree, I don't find slack hard at all to install or use, I find mandrake and fedora to be the worst actually...