what version of xp?

169 members have voted

1. 1. what version of xp?

• professional
    • home edition

Originally posted by iconman  

So it won't delete anything Icons, Programs 4 XP, Service Packs?

no its just like going from 98 to XP. it'll keep all your stuff. moving from XP Home To Pro, is the same thing, but in this case your in the same operating system, so all its doing is adding stuff, from what isn't there already.

by all means you can do a clean install, but i don't really think its necessary. its not like your coming from an older os to a new one.

Originally posted by xStainDx  

no its just like going from 98 to XP. it'll keep all your stuff. moving from XP Home To Pro, is the same thing, but in this case your in the same operating system, so all its doing is adding stuff, from what isn't there already.

by all means you can do a clean install, but i don't really think its necessary. its not like your coming from an older os to a new one.

Im gonna start and see how it goes

Originally posted by iconman  

Ohh.... one more thing how much space do you think ill lose?

i doubt much if anything, you already have xp installed, like i said its just going to add what isn't there already, or perhaps overwrite some files to give you the professional. maybe you'll lose a few hundred megs? i'm not sure i've never actually done what your attempting to do. don't let that scare you lol, this is a fine upgrade path.

you might find that you MAY have to do some new patches or some over after xp pro is installed . like IIS or Something since home edition doesn't have that. when your finished, place your results here, i'm interested.

:)

Originally posted by lister  

I have XP Home and it cost me ?90 I bought it back in November. >

i got pro and it costed me $90 also back in november:pp

Originally posted by xStainDx  

i doubt much if anything, you already have xp installed, like i said its just going to add what isn't there already, or perhaps overwrite some files to give you the professional. maybe you'll lose a few hundred megs? i'm not sure i've never actually done what your attempting to do. don't let that scare you lol, this is a fine upgrade path.

you might find that you MAY have to do some new patches or some over after xp pro is installed . like IIS or Something since home edition doesn't have that. when your finished, place your results here, i'm interested.  

:)

I Will post on what happened after installation

maybe some of you don't know this, but .net, home and pro is the same thing, only new diffrent registry settings, there is a tool that changes the newest .net server into windows xp pro sp1.

Originally posted by KoL  

I dont care where you got your OS you fool - Edit by Neobond (Neowin Admin)

his post was edited by me - Neobond

is there anything special ??

wouldn't it be easier.. just to get XP Pro Corp ?

Originally posted by Fonze  

i have home :ermm:  

i was on win Me previously and never tried Win 2000, so Home was the way to go..

btw, WHere in the hell did u get pro for $90!!!!!!!!!

umm.. okay..

see that symbol.. in front the 90 ???

it's a pound symbol... he is from Europe...

90 pounds is about 131 us dollars...

Originally posted by Ja450n  

umm.. okay..  see that symbol.. in front the 90 ???it's a pound symbol... he is from Europe...90 pounds is about 131 us dollars...

Yeah he said he got it for 90.00 US, whats your point? its still cheaper here! :p

Originally posted by 2pac  

I am Using Pro but what i don't understand if  

Why are more people using Pro? what a mystery :ponder:  

Lates ;)

the ability for Mr. Gates to h@x0r j00!

Originally posted by 2pac  

I am Using Pro but what i don't understand if  

Why are more people using Pro? what a mystery :ponder:  

Lates ;)

pro was the first version to be released, both as an RC and as the eventual warez version.

I can't see any reason for having a home ISO except to take up disc space....

Hey xStainDx,

I just finished installing XP PRO !!

Let me tell you the details:

Installation - 1 hour

Lost Space - 100-150 MB

BTW my startup is faster now it was 14 sec now it's 3 sec ! YAY! :D