what version of xp?

169 members have voted

1. 1. what version of xp?

• professional
    • home edition

Originally posted by Dazzla  

So from total power off, you press the power button and you are at the desktop at 3 seconds?

Dazzla said Desktop, not logon screen ;)

I'm for some reason not buying that computer can boot all the way to the desktop in 3 seconds from pressing the power button.

I use Pro edition.

And about the conversion tool, it is not recommended that you use that. That only changes registry settings and does not add functionality or speed gains to the computer.

using pro and love it. wouldn't have it any other way.

but even for those of you using HOME, hey, it's still better than Me. :)

Originally posted by iconman  

Yep 3 Sec. and I have A Pentium 3 - 600mhz

if its 3 secs to boot, xp normally

i wonder how fast it is to get it from hibernation? what 1 sec?

i know this place wants the proof, so go do a bootvis. and post (screen shot) your results.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...ootVis-Tool.exe

Microsoft Windows XP Boot Visualization Tool.

im on a pIII 550e mhz

takes about 43secs from pushin power button to desktop (only norton antivirus 2002 pro loads at startup+background scanning etc)

i dunno about 3 secs.. but i never tried that bootvis program,

less than a minute is fine with me.. same thing on win2000.. a bit longer maybe 50 something secs

damn Home :disappoin

3sec start up. I believe you :cheeky:

When I first installed XP (I have Athlo XP 1800+) it was 20sec to load. Nowadays, it more like 40s :ermm:

It will resume from Hibernation to Desktop in a little over 9 seconds, but a cold boot and not resuming from hibernate or standby, takes 22.45 seconds and the fastest it has ever booted up is 19.21, but adding NAV 2002 added over 3 seconds to boot time. I dual boot Win 2K Pro and XP pro and Win 2K loads in about 32 seconds give or take the half second it takes to push the down arrow and enter. 3 seconds for a "real" cold boot and not a resume from Hibernate is Bull**** and I would barely believe you could resume from Hibernate that fast. I will believe it when i see the bootvis graph that shows a 3 second boot.

:paranoid: :ponder:

Originally posted by jwndw  

3 seconds for a "real" cold boot and not a resume from Hibernate is Bull**** and I would barely believe you could resume from Hibernate that fast.  I will believe it when i see the bootvis graph that shows a 3 second boot.  

:paranoid: :ponder:

I'd like to see the graph as well.

Little off topic here, but I can wake my mac up from sleep from less then 1 second, thats sweet. It goes off instantly and wakes up instantly. I think I'll stick to doing that cause the boot time is far off of teh 3 second record for XP :roll: ;)

I first wanted the Home Edition because it was cheaper and I had Windows ME at the time, (I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO THAT PIECE OF BAD CODING AGAIN), when the launch date came, Thursday 25th October 2001 (one day after my birthday yeh!!!), I was short of cash and I attended the launch at Festival Hall in London where Steve ballmer was presenting it. As I came in, from waiting for over an hour because i came too early :D) I was given, as was everyone else who came in had, a bag which included a Microsoft Windows XP Professional 120 day evaluation CD. After the event had finished, I was tempted too try it so I came home and installed it over Microsoft Windows ME (at the time, I was afraid of formatting and I did not have time to back up everything) and it was great. I was forced to format since someone was trying to see if it will expire by pushing the date way past the 120 day expiration date, it expired but as least I backed up my work a week ago ;). I reinstalled it freshly choosing, FAT 32 (bad choice) and I left it at that.

Later, as I had an ADSL internet connection, I had to change to NTFS and it went all slowly. When the expiration date came, I had to purcahse the Professional Edition since that I could not downgrade to Home Edition without formatting. I am now confident into formattiing now, if I have my work backed up.

Originally posted by Deryck  

When the expiration date came, I had to purcahse the Professional Edition  

You could've just formatted the HD and reinstalled you know!

It resets the timer , so you could've bought it when u had the money.

I run XP Pro corp edition beats the snot out of any O.S. except that little thing called linux:) yet that is a diffrent story

XP Home makes me feel :dead: