[ROGERS CUSTOMERS] If you havent swapped....

This is to all Rogers Communications customers in Canada. If you have not yet swapped your old modem for the new DOCSIS 1.1 modems, do so before they stop swapping them.

Before the swap I had about 100-700 kbps on speed tests (ouch) on a 3mbs line.

Now after the swap, I'm getting this:

speedtest.jpg

yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw. Honestly just go swap the modem right now, its definately worth it (if this speed will hold up for a few days)

i had faster than that 3 years ago when i first got cable.

I swapped, and it got a little faster. I dont notice the speed, but i like the new motorolla modem. much better than that ugly ericsson

I had a Motorola cyberSURFR. It wasnt even on moto's discontinued page. I HAD to reset it every so often cuz it kept freezing.

I'm gonna be upgrading to the 5mbs service soon though.. So yeah..

am i the only one with an RCA modem.. at 3mbps :)

it says RCA, but the guy try to tell me it's a motorola lol

had a docsis for well over a year. they gave me a tj615? last year... now i got this ****ty atlantic star but aslong as it works i dun care.

2004-11-14 14:14:21 EST: 2868 / 382

Your download speed : 2937424 bps, or 2868 kbps.

A 358.5 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 391427 bps, or 382 kbps.

I thought Rogers was 5mbit now.

584919644[/snapback]

No, they just offer a 5mbit called extreme, the regular service is still 3mbit

Don't you have to pay $$$ to swap your modem?

I mean, i don't want to switch to extreme

584919654[/snapback]

No, the swap should be free. You only have to pay for the modem if you switch to exteme.

you have to pay $100 to upgrade to a new DOCSIS modem.

However, rogers wishes to upgrade their networks, requiring all users to be using DOCSIS modems. this is why they are giving free upgrades, and having a contest associated with it.

Any reason why I never heard of this?

I had a Toshiba modem and I got this.

2.1 megabits per second

Communications - 2.1 megabits per second

Storage - 259.2 kilobytes per second

1MB file download - 4 seconds

Subjective rating - Great

And that's around 6pm. That's like peak hour.

Edit: What do I have to do to swap my modem for the new one?

Rogers is ****! Not THE ****! But just ****! I had them for a year and they sucked hudge ass! I had slow upload and download speeds, and Rogers played it out like everything was fine! I even had a technician come to my house and "test the lines" and they said that the problem lies outside the house! But that's where it ended! They wouldn't let me swap out my modem unless "something was wrong with it". I was so tempted to open the modem, and just drag my soddering iron across 2 power soder points and cause the modem to short out then have them replace it! Their tier-1 support is full of morons that don't know what they are doing! AND they don't read any of the notes from the previous call events! I probibly had well over 50 calls to their tech support and they did nothing! They would blame it on my router as well! Saying that my router is what is limiting the connection! However, when I would take my router AND my laptop to another house that has the same rogers connection as me, it would work fine and I'd get the proper speeds! But Rogers didn't take that as a valid answer! They continued to tell me that everything was fine! When I would run speed tests and the results were 500kbps, 1Mbps or 1.5Mbps, every tech said that it was great!

The last call to tech support ended up with me demanding the 2nd level support! I explained how angry and dissapointed in the internet and their tech support I was. And I wanted a good and TRUTHFUL answer as to what was going on w/my internet! The 2nd level tech said that everything was fine (reading from the same script as the rest of the techs). He then proceeded to explain DSL and Cable to me. And lets just say that he kicked himself in the arse, 'cause DSL is a much better design than Cable (DSL = phone line = direct line to the CO! No sharing! Cable = TV Cable line = Share your internet with your neighbourhood!)

Their moble phone service is the only thing that has worked out for me! Their cable was crap. It went out all the time, and they would take forever to fix it, or not at all!

We made the right switch to Satellite TV and DSL internet this past fall and I've never been happier with my TV or internet! I run an FTP server on my laptop with my DSL and it doesn't slow down the internet at all... with my cable the minute someone played a game or downloaded a torrent it would kill the internet until that was done! And my satellite is always in high definition and digital (as opposed to analogue most of the time) and the sound is always digital and comes through my fiber optica cable which produced a much cleaner and rich sound as opposed to the digital coax!

So, listen to me friends! Make the right choice and drop your cable internet and switch to DSL! You won't be dissapointed! Besides, leave things like the internet to your phone comapny! They are already setup for those kinda things! ;)

Eh caboose just cuz you've had problems with them doesnt mean everyone else shouldnt go with them. I've been with rogers for more than 15 years (not nessesairly internet) and they've been fine. My internet is fast, when I have to call tech support they deal with it quickly and efficiently. I have never been on the phone with them for more than 30 minutes. My wait time to talk to a tech support rep? Zero minutes. Its just some people who have nothing better to do but **** and moan.

I wont switch to DSL mainly for two reasons. not in my area yet, and because its Bell. I dislike bell. End of story.

One thing I dont exactly get is if they are charging for the swap if you are going to Extreme, but not if you are staying at Express, then why not just swap for free. and then a month later, upgrade to Extreme for free? Would that even work?

The major problem with Rogers is the overloaded nodes which cause horrific connection quality and they never did anything about except for suspending high bandwidth users (compared to others in your area). They suspended us twice without warning so we switched to Bell. The speed is only 1meg, but the pings are fine and I could actually load webpages faster than a 14.4 connection so Im happy. :)

Since they brought out this extreme stuff, I havent heard of anyone getting suspended although, there are still major connection quality problems in some areas but then again Bell has the same issue so meh. Im sticking with Bell cause they have actually shown that they are making improvements to the network and the tech support is marginally better.

Yeah...thats my rant.

The major problem with Rogers is the overloaded nodes which cause horrific connection quality and they never did anything about except for suspending high bandwidth users (compared to others in your area). They suspended us twice without warning so we switched to Bell. The speed is only 1meg, but the pings are fine and I could actually load webpages faster than a 14.4 connection so Im happy. :)

Since they brought out this extreme stuff, I havent heard of anyone getting suspended although, there are still major connection quality problems in some areas but then again Bell has the same issue so meh.

584920956[/snapback]

Who's us?

And when you got suspended, how much were you downloading? I want to keep my downloading spree down.

The major problem with Rogers is the overloaded nodes which cause horrific connection quality and they never did anything about except for suspending high bandwidth users (compared to others in your area). They suspended us twice without warning so we switched to Bell.

584920956[/snapback]

And rogers clames that it is "unlimited" usage! Yet, if they see that "you are part of the 1% of users that goes over their allotted usage" they will send you a warning, or suspend your connection! If thats the case, then they aren't unlimited! And if you download A LOT, then Rogers isn't for you! Find someone that has a true unlimited bandwidth allotment... Like bell!

Who's us?

And when you got suspended, how much were you downloading? I want to keep my downloading spree down.

584920972[/snapback]

us as in my residential account. The max was 30gb both directions, but this area is an "old Shaw cable area" so its like beyond bad. You don't need to worry, afaik there have been no reports of anyone being suspended lately. They're supposed to call you and e-mail if they think you're downloading/uploading too much. I never heard a word from them until the day they called us to tell us to stop abusing their precious POS network. :rolleyes:

Rogers advertises nothing. They tell you to download up to how much you think you should. about 30 gigs and that should cause them to sound the alarms.

I have never had a problem connecting to the internet. Except this weekend which all of my area was knocked out for most of Saturday afternoon but they fixed it by sunday morning.