Microsoft Fingerprint Reader

Rahul

I dont think it works with Vista either, or does it ?

inStereo
Diden't they see if they could fool one of these on Mythbusters?

They did indeed. They managed to foil it by just using a photocopy of a fingerprint on a piece of paper, it was ridiculously easy to crack. I remeber the manyfacturers saying how it had never been cracked before by anyone. lol.

• 1 month later...
adam33777

I have a fix for the error / problem with Microsoft Finger Print Reader and Remote Desktop! After much and F*ing around and no luck with google I have come up with the following batch file. Just Run this when you are done using remote desktop and it will basically log you on at the console and then lock the station which lets you use Micro. Finger Print reader to login once you get home, etc...

Open Notepad.exe

%windir%\System32\tscon.exe 0 /dest:console

rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

Click save as then type "logoutRDP.bat" as filename (or whatever)

(using quotes let you save as .bat w/out having to set the folder options show file extension)

Now just click that to log out of Remote Desktop, I put in my quick launch ;)

Adam

RE:

I noticed that it "freaks out" a little once I've connected via remote desktop. Afterwards it doesn't recognize the Reader within Maxton (haven't checked if this is a Maxton issue or a global issue, need to check this tonight). Still after disconnecting via remote desktop I'm able to log on locally with my fingerprint (works all the time). Only the issue within Maxton is there.

• 1 year later...
ramik

is there a way to make it do multiple password profiles in the same windows user profile?

at home we use 1 windows user but multiple profiles in firefox and other programs and the fingerprint program has only 1 user support per windows profile.

i want a way that when it scans my fingerprint, to start filling in my passwords, when somebody else uses his fingerprint, to start filling passwords.

any solution?

White Cuban

you said nothing about the quality, my laptop has a CRAP one, takes like 10 times till it finds out its My finger.

+warwagon
They did indeed. They managed to foil it by just using a photocopy of a fingerprint on a piece of paper, it was ridiculously easy to crack. I remeber the manyfacturers saying how it had never been cracked before by anyone. lol.

As I recall the cheap ones were harder to fool than the really expensive professional ones.

BGM

fingerprint readers are the biggest load of **** excuse for biometrics...

what do you leave on everything you touch? your finger prints! and if someone really really wanted to get into your pc all they would have to do is look around your home/office and take some copies.

imo, a retinal scan would be immeasurably more secure

+warwagon

what do you leave on everything you touch? your finger prints! and if someone really really wanted to get into your pc all they would have to do is look around your home/office and take some copies.

Unless they kill you and cut out your eye balls which would give them more incentive to do so.

qdave

what worries me is that you wont be able to log in from anywhere except your home. no more browsing to neowin at work :p unless they have fingerprint readers as well, which is doubtfull.

+warwagon
what worries me is that you wont be able to log in from anywhere except your home. no more browsing to neowin at work :p unless they have fingerprint readers as well, which is doubtfull.

Well in most cases its just a password manager. So if you still remember your password you'll be ok. Though what would work better is to use a big long password that you'll never remember \Sh)O9q5=Mmg3%Z2vV|B`ZQ2sBV>UW)}]9\rb}2<UXF2){v^mVNXc8DCtfT]-^o in combination with the finger reader.

mokthraka

yeah I never got that either how hard would be it be to just lift the print of your frickin keybored or something

or for that matter the finger print reader my frined has that same on and it leaves prints on it

a retinal scanner might cost a bit more :p but you can buy one if you really want just very spendy

can you use it to log into online games and stuff? cause then I might get it since I could make extreamly long random passwords

like vjh9qg98e4hgvd89xjz4kl and no one would be able to guess it

oh and to the guy above I dont get your sig :( what is av2939391.exe

BGM
oh and to the guy above I dont get your sig :( what is av2939391.exe

me either :o

+warwagon
oh and to the guy above I dont get your sig sad.gif what is av2939391.exe

It is the type of random exe file that appears after you click on the Antivirus 2009 popups that appear on a website telling you, you are infected. It usually asks you if you want to open or save the file. My sig now probably makes a bit more since.

• 2 weeks later...
Ames
Unless they kill you and cut out your eye balls which would give them more incentive to do so.

lol you don't need to cutout your eye balls, the technology does exist.

A good example of the technology is the Nexus Air program between Canada and the US which allows you to fastrack through the border lineups at airports.