[review] 4G iPod 20GB

I seriously first got intrigued with the iPod when I heard about the FreeiPods site. I worked hard and probably spammed some of you (SORRY), but after two and a half months; I finally had a brand new Apple 4th Generation 20GB iPod sitting in my very hands. I ran (literally) from the bus that day just to open up the box. This is what was included within the attractive colorful designed box

Apple 20GB iPod

A/C adapter (requires FireWire cable)

USB 2.0 cable

FireWire iEE1394 6 prong cable

iPod headphones with protectors

My first impression was, ?WOW, I cant believe how small it is!? It was much smaller then I expected, especially the thickness. I also like many think the thing looks dead sexy (hehehe).

I attached it to my PC via FireWire, and ran the setup CD and installed the ipod software. The software took less then 5 minuites to install and format the unit to FAT32 for Windows compatibility. I had previously downloaded and installed the latest iTunes software and created playlists, and copying 1,412 songs (5.47GB) took about ten minuites (about 9MB/s). I let the unit charge for about half an hour before it said ?Charge Complete? well I was off. I set it up to rid of the annoying clicker noise in the settings menu, and enabled the R&B EQ setting, and enabled the backlight.

Some people have complained that the backlight is a bluish purple instead of the 3rd Generation?s white light, but personally it seems just off white with a blue tint, so its not annoying. Of course I?m coming from a 512MB iRiver iFP-395T Flash player (which I will use for running still) which had a solid blue backlight, so this was a welcoming experience.

The included headphones weren?t the best, and I even replaced them with my trusty iRiver one?s that I got almost a year ago, and I can tell there is a difference between them; the Apple ones get tinny with the volume up, and there is little base. But for about $15 you can pick up a much better pair so?

Setting it up on my laptop via USB 2.0 was pain free because Windows XP detected it and installed the drivers for external disk support, so I could run the iPod setup right from it. iTunes came up with an option to sync with the laptop, or to manually connect and sync when I first opened it (made my life much easier)

Even with running music off the ipod while connected to the PC, the 32MB of cache is utilized so the drive isn?t constantly spinning creating more wear and tear then is needed. On that note, I averaged that every five songs that the HD would power on the recopy to the cache.

I?m at about 8 hours so far with this one charge and I have about 1/3 left, putting me right at the 12 hour mark that apple claims. I?ve read on http://www.ipodlounge.com that people have gotten up to 14 hours on a single charge, so I?m definitely happy about that.

The four things that I disliked about it was with the iRiver it had support for a 3D EQ, which creates virtual channels, thus personally making it feel more like a concert or a surround sound system in your stereo headphones; No support via firmware for WMA (Windows Media Audio; although the hardware supports it since the 3G, they refuse to enable it); no drag and drop music (must use iTunes, Musicmatch or WinAmp); and that it scratches easily (I didn?t get mine scratched up, but my friend who had his a week had scratched all over)

I bought a Carbon iSkin from http://www.thinkdifferentstore.com for $35 shipped with standard 7-10 business day USPS. Well to my surprise, I ordered Wednesday night at 9PM, Thursday was off because of Veteran?s Day, and I received it on Monday (overnight business day wise) so I saved $8 and I didn?t loose any time. It went in like a snap, and looks great!

I?ll be adding more later, but for now?.. that?s all folks!!!

IMG_7921.jpg

(iskin pic thanks to Toxikk)

post-32248-1100650072_thumb.jpg

Edited by caveman017

. I let the unit charge for about half an hour before it said ?Charge Complete? well I was off.

584934034[/snapback]

you let it charge for 30 min? thats it... excuse me if i am wrong... but when i buy a cell phone, the people say "let it charge for 8 HOURS, and do not take it off" so i asked them "ohh, but after around 3 hours, it says full battery" and i got the reply of "if you take it off too soon, you wont charge the battery 100%, but it will say you did... and next time you go back, it wont be able to recharge the dead cells inside... so my thought is.. if ipod has a rechargable.. (and unreplacable) battery... you charged it for 30 min won't it ruin the battery life? anyone...

I have heard the battery cant be replaced (like a cell phone) in the iPods, you need to send it to apple to have it replaced... if they can. This is why i do not buy an iPod... YET.

nice stuff (Y) (Y) I like 3G more tho.. :\&nb:); :)

584934742[/snapback]

remember.. the bigger your GB's are the bigger your penis size:)s :)

remember.. the bigger your GB's are the bigger your penis size is :)

584934987[/snapback]

no.. I just like the design of the 3G.. :D