:FIX: HL2 Lagging in battles

In Half-life 2 for some reason when I get into a an area with a lot of monsters the game goes from like 80-100 fps to like 10-20 fps. Well after a little digging I found a way to fix this problem. I am posting it here just in case anyone else is experiencing this same problem. Also I think this tweak would speed up the game itself.

First, you open notepad and paste this into it:

cl_forcepreload "1"

sv_forcepreload "1"

cl_smooth "0"

Second, you save that file as autoexec.cfg in the cfg folder of half life 2, something like

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\(your profile name)\half-life 2\hl2\cfg

*You can also put this file into the cs folder too and it will help cs.

Third, you just go and play. The autoexec.cfg file is automaticly executed when half-life starts. So if there are any other commands you want to be done every time hl2 starts this is the file to put them in, like cl_showfps "1" so you see the fps all the time.

While this thread is open how do you pick open gl or direct 3D for some reason my system has giant lag(fps) even thought i get 90+ on the source test

584940796[/snapback]

u cant...its written entirely in DX9

So, any idea why I get this fps problem? I have no background apps running and my drivers are 66.93 on a 6800GT

584940819[/snapback]

Post your specs system wise and your settings.

It might that buggered sound issue. :/

584940830[/snapback]

Which sound issue? I know when I had it set on only 4 speakers for sound there was a bug where the front speakers would play the sounds differently so it sounded like there was a weird echo all the time, but setting it to 5.1 fixed that.

Which sound issue? I know when I had it set on only 4 speakers for sound there was a bug where the front speakers would play the sounds differently so it sounded like there was a weird echo all the time, but setting it to 5.1 fixed that.

584940872[/snapback]

audio studdering. it gets really bad at times

,Nov 17 2004, 22:18]Anyone fix the load times? :|

584940839[/snapback]

Yeah, the load times are really annoying, but I kinda figure thats only because I lack memory (256mbs...)

audio studdering. it gets really bad at times

584940884[/snapback]

Yeah, that audio studdering I get is also an issue with memory I have because the whole game studders when its accessing the hard drive...

Yeah, the load times are really annoying, but I kinda figure thats only because I lack memory (256mbs...)

584940890[/snapback]

i have 1gb of ram. it takes so long to load i have time to get up, take a pee, and be back just in time

Anyone else have a weird video problem where half the screen (near the middle) seems to flicker or something when you are trying to run fullsacreen, because I'm stuck to using windowed mode because of this... I can try to post a screenshot of it but its gonna take forever for me to load it up and change the video settings so I'm reluctant to do it...

i have 1gb of ram. it takes so long to load i have time to get up, take a pee, and be back just in time

584940907[/snapback]

I have time to get up, fix a snack and get a drink, complain to my mom, yell some more, then sit back down and get comfortable just in time to have the game come studdering back into existence. (well, I'm off to go finish the game now...)

^^^So does it sound like I have audio problems?

What could remedy this?

584940914[/snapback]

Nothing that I know of at this point, supposedly setting the audio quality down and setting to 2 speakers works, don't take my word on it, although it did sorta work for me. :)

Well one thing I have heard about for fixing the audio has to do with the ffdshow codec, it seems that if you had that codec and made sure that with the mp3 options it is disabled you would get a lot less stuttering.

For what these settings do, I believe they force the engine to preload some thing for that area. What exactly, I am not too sure, but I havn't noticed any increases in loading times. Actually because of the ign article on tweaking for hl2 and some other stuff I did, like defragging with perfectdisk, I have seen a decrease in loading times.

Pretty much these settings just help. If you do try them and you see worse conditions just delete the autoexec.cfg file.

Edited by Glatz