:FIX: HL2 Lagging in battles

The loading times are terrible, I have a 1GIG of RAM like some of you too, but still long load time.

I'm going to give my HDD a good defrag tonight to see if that helps.

584941054[/snapback]

The amount of memory you have only helps load times to a certain point, then it becomes a hard drive limitation.

The amount of memory you have only helps load times to a certain point, then it becomes a hard drive limitation.

584941124[/snapback]

I have 2x Western Digital 160GIG SE SATA in RAID 0. I haven't done a defrag since down loading HL2 off steam, so you never know.

Well for one, PerfectDisk IS the XP defragger.....it is, dig in google you'll find it.

You want a defragger....check out O&O Professional...and do the COMPLETE/NAME option. Watch gameplay, Windows, and Load times on apps and games SOAR.

Also, I went to the MILES FAST 2D Positional audio website, and saw some issues with things, then I found this tool. What this tool does, and THINK about it...allowed you to turn down and config the setting of the codec. When I turned down the "surround" 2 notches, crackle took a hike. I still have it where when I reach where I believe is the preload on next series of "events"....audio skips then video locks up for only a second...then i'm cool.

Well for one, PerfectDisk IS the XP defragger.....it is, dig in google you'll find it.

You want a defragger....check out O&O Professional...and do the COMPLETE/NAME option.  Watch gameplay, Windows, and Load times on apps and games SOAR.

Also, I went to the MILES FAST 2D Positional audio website, and saw some issues with things, then I found this tool.  What this tool does, and THINK about it...allowed you to turn down and config the setting of the codec.  When I turned down the "surround" 2 notches, crackle took a hike.  I still have it where when I reach where I believe is the preload on next series of "events"....audio skips then video locks up for only a second...then i'm cool.

584941440[/snapback]

Running O&O Pro at the moment, hope it helps.

You want a defragger....check out O&O Professional...and do the COMPLETE/NAME option.  Watch gameplay, Windows, and Load times on apps and games SOAR.

Also, I went to the MILES FAST 2D Positional audio website, and saw some issues with things, then I found this tool.  What this tool does, and THINK about it...allowed you to turn down and config the setting of the codec.  When I turned down the "surround" 2 notches, crackle took a hike.  I still have it where when I reach where I believe is the preload on next series of "events"....audio skips then video locks up for only a second...then i'm cool.

584941440[/snapback]

Actually the Windows XP Defragmenter IS Diskeeper Lite.

far cry takes about 20secs on my system t load a level, wheras HL2 take like 40-50secs to load.. and that includes teh main menu..! wtf..?!?! it may be cuz the cfg files are extracted somehow to load the level.. just like in doom 3, once the user extracts teh pack files the load times decreased by 10secs.. :/

I would like to point out, the reason it takes so long to load to the main menu is that it's actually loading up a semi-level itself. Just like in Pacific Assualt, and people complained about that loading time also.

What is so bad about a 20 second load time? Are we that bad now that we can't wait 20 seconds to play a game? Frankly if you want no loading times, in this day and age you aren't going to get it. Sure, there are games where the load times are very short, but Half-Life 2 is loading so much stuff, well you get the picture. Far Cry may load quick, but can you do half the things you can do in Half-Life 2?

that large text scared me :(

anyhoo if you don't like the long load times, set the texture details to medium. i remember i cranked it all to high and the load time was unbearable so i brought her down and loads great now :)

I would like to point out, the reason it takes so long to load to the main menu is that it's actually loading up a semi-level itself. Just like in Pacific Assualt, and people complained about that loading time also.

What is so bad about a 20 second load time? Are we that bad now that we can't wait 20 seconds to play a game? Frankly if you want no loading times, in this day and age you aren't going to get it. Sure, there are games where the load times are very short, but Half-Life 2 is loading so much stuff, well you get the picture. Far Cry may load quick, but can you do half the things you can do in Half-Life 2?

584942895[/snapback]

Bit off topic, but.... after the 20-30ish seconds of loading for the first time, Halo 2 plays through the entire game without a single load. And that's on an Xbox :p

No that I'm complaining about the load times for Half Life 2, I think it's fine. Just mentioning that you're wrong when you say "if you want no loading times, in this day and age you aren't going to get it"

i am running that o&o defrag software at hoem as we speak(at school right now) and well c how it does, but everyone should check this site out

http://www.tweakguides.com/

it has some good tweaks, kinda what was mentioned by Glatz at the start(thanx glatz) and oh yeah, i dont really know what it does but from what i hear it helps and thats a very trustworthy site, ill have to check it out when i get home.

So it loads so... whoop de do. Heck, I would take an OS that takes 2 days to load if it never crashed and never slowed down over time. I don't mind the slow load times as long as it looks great!

Loading times are a little slow even on my machine with a gig of RAM and a quick SATA drive.. but still doesn't detract from the game. Just on my way past the coastal area now.. bloody awesome!!

584942895[/snapback]

But it runs the flow of the game, especially when driving the boat, you get to a part of the tunnel, and bam, it stops for 30 seconds. I kinda ruins the atmosphere, I mean you got the helicopter chasing you then it giant pause. :/