280 members have voted

1. 1. Do you belive in an afterlife?

• Yes - When we die, we go to heaven/equivalent
    • Yes - When we die, we are reincarnated
    • Maybe - I want to belive there's an afterlife
    • I don't know
    • No - When we die, that's it.
    • Other (Specify below)

Ah I see fall3n, you believe all religions are right and therefore are a Post Modernist.

Listen people, the reason I believe in the God of the Bible (The Father, Son and Holy Ghost) is because the Bible is the most accurate historical account in the world (this is an unbiased fact). Let's just say that it is many many times more accurate than Homer's Illiad.

The writers had no reason to make up what they wrote because they were persecuted and died for their beliefs, they wrote embarrising details about themselves (somebody making up a story wouldn't include that), the death and ressurection of Jesus was unlikely to be invented (they didn't even know people could sweat blood under extreme stress, women were the first witnesses and women were considered to be not trustworthy, etc.), there are numerous (over 500+) eyewitness testimonies of the resurrection of Christ as well as named witnesses, the New Testament (NT) writers challenged their readers to check out the facts themselves, the NT writers describe miracles with simple, unembellished accounts (most every made up account is embellished).

As you can see, I have done my own research and not relied on just books or biased accounts.

Edited by Jstphish

Rigput, I whole heartedly agree with you. That is one of the major flaws of religion, it seems to have caused more bad, such as wars, then good. Which is really to bad.

I also agree that Buddhism is a great belief, but I don't think it is a religion. It is a belief. This is why Buddhism has never caused any wars. None to my recollection at least. They believe that if you do good then good will be done to you. It's as simple as that. Karma folks, it does exist.

Jesus isnt the sone of god

584944966[/snapback]

once again, sir. Please provide some proof, unless you were actually living at that time. you dont know for sure, you just belive what is "said"

you didn't exist before you were born. You won't after.

Religion was invented to control people and take advantage of the fact most peoples ego can't cope with the idea of death. It's easier to believe in fairy tales. Too bad they weren't true.

Ah I see fall3n, you believe all religions are right and therefore are a Post Modernist.

584945136[/snapback]

Perhaps I am, but I don't believe all religions are right. Infact I believe the opposite. I am just not trying to insult other religions. I am instead taking a neutral stance on this forum post. I would rather discuss religions in a proffesional manner rather then scream back and forth at each other in an attempt to try to convince one another that our beliefs are better then each others. That goes no where. This way we can discuss our beliefs without unneccessary heated arguements.

you didn't exist before you were born.  You won't after.

Religion was invented to control people and take advantage of the fact most peoples ego can't cope with the idea of death.  It's easier to believe in fairy tales.  Too bad they weren't true.

584945171[/snapback]

This it true, unfortunatly. During the Dark Ages religion was used as a form of control by the church. And to this day it is still being used as a form of control. This is the negative aspect of religion and unfortunatly nobody seems to realize this.

However, I do not think that we cannot just seize to exist. In my mind, it just seems impossible for us just to end. Plus, how do you know we never existed before and that we won't after? We'll never know the truth.

Perhaps I am, but I don't believe all religions are right. Infact I believe the opposite. I am just not trying to insult other religions. I am instead taking a neutral stance on this forum post. I would rather discuss religions in a proffesional manner rather then scream back and forth at each other in an attempt to try to convince one another that our beliefs are better then each others. That goes no where. This way we can discuss our beliefs without unneccessary heated arguements.

584945178[/snapback]

Ahh, I see where you are going with it now. Well, I just believe that being neutral gets us nowhere. Why discuss anything if you aren't trying to expose your views on someone else? Everyone pushes their views on everyone because we are all different and all have opinions. I have my opinion and I won't keep my views in the dark so that I don't offend anyone.

As for being more professional, I can do that.

This it true, unfortunatly. During the Dark Ages religion was used as a form of control by the church. And to this day it is still being used as a form of control. This is the negative aspect of religion and unfortunatly nobody seems to realize this.

How does the church use religion as a form of control? It doesn't look like the Vatican is very powerful to me. The only way I can see them having any control is by getting people to give them money.

Besides, I don't believe Chatholics are Christian anyway, they've gone waaaay off the path of Christianity throughout history (my fianc? is still considers herself Catholic even though I don't think she is ... her beliefs differ a lot from the Catholic church).

Edited by Jstphish

Ahh, I see where you are going with it now.  Well, I just believe that being neutral gets us nowhere.  Why discuss anything if you aren't trying to expose your views on someone else?  Everyone pushes their views on everyone because we are all different and all have opinions.  Being "professional" leads nowhere except to a country where we all have to be politically correct in order to not offend anyone.  What a load!  I have my opinion and I won't keep my views in the dark so that I don't offend anyone.

584945232[/snapback]

This is not what I mean by remaining neutral. You can express your beliefs all you want, I am just saying to do it in a calm manner. Because when we scream at each other about our beliefs we get no where. Rather than an arguement, I want a discussion where people are open to new things or will at least accept that others believe what they want to. It is unneccessary to force your belief upon others.

what hani said is true. ppl will be judged and either go to heaven or hell. the proof - read the holy quran and its many miricles

Psych #1: Excuse me, what are you doing?

Marge: Oh, I was just praying to God that you'll find me sane.

Psych #1: I see. And this "God", is he in this room right now?

Marge: Oh, yes. He's kind of everywhere.

(The psychologists exchange disapproving looks.)

Psych #2: Marge Simpson, you give us no choice but to declare you utterly--

Marge (rising): I'm not insane!

Psych #2: You didn't let me finish...insane!

:yes:

The entire concept of an afterlife was merely created to alieviate the fear of death.

what hani said is true. ppl will be judged and either go to heaven or hell. the proof - read the holy quran and its many miricles

584945275[/snapback]

Ok, but the thing about that is that it is a book written a long time ago by someone. Which means that it could be totally false, we don't know. I'm not saying that it is, I am just saying that there is a chance. There are many things written today that have ended up being proved as false. The problem with religious texts is that nobody can prove if they are true or if they are false.

Religion was invented to control people and take advantage of the fact most peoples ego can't cope with the idea of death.  It's easier to believe in fairy tales.  Too bad they weren't true.

I just don't see if god is all good and stuff how does he/she let all this bad crap happen. don't make sense to me. just what i think.

I just don't see if god is all good and stuff how does he/she let all this bad crap happen. don't make sense to me. just what i think.

584945320[/snapback]

What kind of bad crap are you referring to? If it is wars and such things it is not "gods" responsibilty to make up for the improper decisions of human beings. Our own decisions bring our own consiquences, not "gods."

584945275[/snapback]

A book written by another human being is not proof and thus concludes this fact as not true. if thats the case then. Elves and hobbits exist period point blank.

think about it dude. have you talked to a person after they died and have they told you about there 1million virgins or whatever how many it is?

Dead dude: "dude you gotta check this out man these braud are all over me, i got henessey and plenty of smoke and there on my nut sack swinging like tarzan in the jungle!"

Limok: dude im so there, we can have an orgie with double the amount of virgins"

i mean have you had an actualy conversation with them? No. and if you say you are then your going against your "religion" and lying

I should mention that my current state of sickness (I have almost completely lost my voice) has lead to me not being "professional." Sorry to all.

That said, you are completely right fall3n, we will never be able to prove that ancient religious texts are completely true. But, what we can do is examine them along with other texts written during the same time. The Bible has never been historically false. Even when historians think it is for a time some new archeological evidence is unearthed that corroborates the Bibles account.

As I have been told, the Genesis, on the Bible (the whole Adam & Eve thing) it isn't real, I mean, If Adam and Eve had two children, Cain and Abel, and one killed the other, how could life have continued...Then I ask to myself, if that isn't how it really happened, the other books in the bible could go into the same way...just what I think, If I'm wrong, please correct me

boli06, Cain and Abel weren't Adam and Eve's only children. Genesis 4:17 NASB - "Cain had relations with his wife and she conceived, and gave birth to Enoch." How could he have relations with his wife if Adam and Eve didn't have other children. Yes, there was incest back then but it wasn't wrong because their genetics weren't spoiled by mutations yet and therefore there were no birth defects like there are today.

Edited by Jstphish

lemme ask u guys one question, how come one man who has no knowledge of science tell us what happens inside the womb of a woman bearing a child. how come he tells us what science has revealed just recently.