[Game] Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines

muzzle79

THIS GAME IS RATED MATURE DUE TO STRONG SEXUAL CONTENT AND LANGUAGE PARENTAL DISCRETION ADVISED

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - Troika games @ Activision

MFG Website

*EDIT* realized how big images were and resized them. Download larger images in one rar file!

Many a fan of the Vampire series will recognize certain trade characteristics during gameplay, This perhaps is one of the greatest aspects of this game. It's often hard for an rpg-esque game to retain a certain first person feel along with its trademark character interaction. Troika certainly knew how to press this feature with the developers, not to mention being based on the Highly aclaimed Valve Source Technology. Building on this platform was a great choice by part of Troika. Combining the lush graphic environment and the infinite character animation possibilitys Bloodlines couldn't be more realistic asside from a few asthetic enhancements.

The games starts you of with two choices, you can divulge directly into the clan of choice much like the Vampire pen and paper game, or you can run through a series of questions to allow the game to choose the best suiting clan. Once you've selected your clan your character is imediately dropped into an entaglement between LaCroix and the traditions and rules of the vampire underworld. From here on you can choose a first person or third person perspective at anytime in the game.

Set in a semi-modern day Los Angeles you'll find Four Major sections farily true to their present day counterparts. Santa Monica, Downtown, Hollywood and Chinatown are a the major players, however there are numerous off center missions to be had.

Santa Monica, your First stop is where your character resides and where many introductory missions are had to bring you up in the ranks of the vampires. It is here where you imediately start to appreciate Troika's unique choice of play. As your character developers you're given experience points to help enhance the many different aspects of your character. Finishing jobs/tasks rewards you with many experience points to spend. It's during the missions that you also learn about the basics of feeding. Feeding on humans is the sustinance you require, living undead no longer recieve any sort of nurishment from food. Many of the missions here in Santa Monica will Also Bring you up on the story line both past and current. The most important Thing you'll learn while in Santa Monica is the Masquerade and the reasons behind it so pay close attention or lest troubles be brought. Another important item learned here in Santa Monica is that of Humanity. Humanity is ultimately what will keep you from reverting to a blood thirsty uncontrolled vampire. Kill innocent people loose your humanity it's that simple. There are ways to redem lost humanity and much like the Masquerade there are missions to help in redeming this.

One downfall is that While you can select your gender there isn't much by means of apperance that you can change other than your clothing/armor. This soon takes less relevance when you realize the focus put on the storyline and plot. With four different endings based soley upon your choices and decisions you're likely to play this game over and over and over merely to find the different endings. T

During your gameplay you're likely to meet many interesting characters as well,this is were Valves Source Enginer really plays off. From Important Vampires to lowly Street Hookers you'll see all sorts of Physical Animation and response that will keep your attention on the game. In the game almost every person you see has a direct effect on whats going on. Bums, Surfers, Shady cops, Pyschotic people, Ghosts and zombies, will lead you on an exhilirating gaming experience. Some noteable missions are The China Town missions as played in the Demo of the game and the Ocean Hotel haunted by the mistress of an insane man.

There are a few draw backs to in game play that may or may not feel hindering to you. One is the fact that gunplay is limited to the character at focus (no spray and pray here.) Another factore is the lack of aim perfection when shooting at individuals, there is a mild enhancement with the many levels and powerups you can find yet it still feels lacking. Your Knives, Swords, Hammers, and rotting limbs are your best ally against both human and kindred (vampire kind.) The best method is to stay clear of using a weapon that fires unless it's the only possible option. Slash'em up is a tad bit more interesting anyway.

Graphicly Bloodlines does require a little power, much like its counterparts on the Source engine, Bloodlines takes advantage of all the latest Directx9 enhancements.

This games was played on two systems with neither having a lacking playability. The main system was a pentium 4 3.0ghz, 1gb ddr400 ramd, 120gb eide 133hd, and a Radeon 9800xt (this system yeilded great results with Everything set on high. Resolution Wise it was played at 1280x1024 4xfsaa 8xfsaf. The second system was a Pentium 4 2.5, 1gb ram and a radeon 9600, 120gb eide 133 hd. These systems aren't far apart form specs so it's no surprise they both handled the game very well. I would note that you're likely to have a better experience on the 9600 series or similar cards by turning down the Anti Aliasing.

Fueld by blood your only options are to feed, abide by the Masquerade and Humanity statues and hope that you'll survive another day amongst the undead roaming LA.

Images taken with 9800xt @ 9600 radeon cards

sm_pier_10007.jpg

sm_oceanhouse_20001.jpg

sm_hub_10001.jpg

sm_asylum_10000.jpg

sm_apartment_10005.jpg

sm_apartment_10004.jpg

la_museum_10019.jpg

la_malkavian_20003.jpg

la_malkavian_20000.jpg

hw_hub_10026.jpg

hw_cemetery_10032.jpg

Go easy on me.. not normaly a writer lol Just though this game needed a little exposure.

Edited by muzzle79
Damo R.

Looks a well good game and pretty good graphics :)

TmasterT

yeah i got this game and its awesome! just that shooting stuff is really awkward...

Xahid

Didn't read the whole review!

But the pix shows how good game is!!!

lexor
Didn't read the whole review!

But the pix shows how good game is!!!

584966004[/snapback]

actually they show how good the game could've been. the actual graphics when you playing/moving are very very poor, it really shows that the guys used an outdated version of Source engine, textures are very low quality, all eyes are glowing (even when there is no reason for them to), choppy edges (i.e. ligh balbs are sort of 3d hexagon and not an oval shape)

all in all a very poor game graphics wise imho. gameplay is ok though.

muzzle79
actually they show how good the game could've been. the actual graphics when you playing/moving are very very poor, it really shows that the guys used an outdated version of Source engine, textures are very low quality, all eyes are glowing (even when there is no reason for them to), choppy edges (i.e. ligh balbs are sort of 3d hexagon and not an oval shape)

all in all a very poor game graphics wise imho. gameplay is ok though.

585000072[/snapback]

?? NOt sure what you mean by couldn've been.

Those are in game shots i took lol.

insanekiwi

i'm lookin fwd to that game.

• 2 weeks later...
IK47

Ive had this game on disc a week before it came out. I havent installed it yet, still sitting in my cd wallet.

lol

muzzle79
Ive had this game on disc a week before it came out.  I havent installed it yet, still sitting in my cd wallet.

lol

585092036[/snapback]

you should install it . It's great : )

IK47

amazing graphics