Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

- hypoxiaicon, thanks for trying to solve the images problems... No need to host the images because I solved the problem...

- The other LCD is 17-inch, but don't be fooled guys and gals! It's a perspictive illusion!! I just mounted the 17-inch LCD closer to the camera, the 20.1-inch was farther away! Tha's why it appears that there is no difference. Trust me, the difference is huge :yes:

It's a perspictive illusion!! I just mounted the 17-inch LCD closer to the camera, the 20.1-inch was farther away! Tha's why it appears that there is no difference. Trust me, the difference is huge

lol... I don't feel such a fool anymore. That monitor looks amazing - if I was more into computing I would have one in a flash. It must be so fun playing HL2 with that, and quite an advantage in CS:Source.

Take a photo with them side by side (Same Distance)

Take another with the 17 Inch in front of the 20 inch wide screen with the camera centred, not elevated or below to see the actual difference

Nice review. I heard there were integrated speakers? Guess not heh? Not that I wanted it anyways. Just wondering, can you actually remove the stand and hook the monitor up to a VESA mount?

584971013[/snapback]

There is an optional sound bar and yes it actually comes detached from the stand.

I also notice that the 1024x768 screenshots are a bit blurry. This probably means that this monitor doesn't scale well at non-native resolutions? Just wondering, when you said that HL2 supports widescreen resolutions, does it actually support 1680x1050? Meaning 1:1 pixel support.

I also notice that the 1024x768 screenshots are a bit blurry. This probably means that this monitor doesn't scale well at non-native resolutions? Just wondering, when you said that HL2 supports widescreen resolutions, does it actually support 1680x1050? Meaning 1:1 pixel support.

584971283[/snapback]

lcd monitors can only be used at thier native resolution. Everything else will look blurry.

Can someone here post some nice wallpapers in 1680x1050 res? Thanks.

584971362[/snapback]

Neowin has a Wallpaper section for that. If you want to request Walls/Themes please use that part of the forums. :)

- Thanks youm0nt

- Thanks pOKa, to me, if you had a 2001FP you don?t need the new WS version!

- Thankkainashib>, images are working now!

patseguinb>, this is the premium you pay for buying cutting edge technology, Apple?s monitor are rreally great, but overpriced!!hypoxiaicon, images are working now, as for the choice between the 2 Dell LCD?s, I?d say go widescreen as new games are utilizing the technology. I?m sorry that I couldn?t take other pictures of the 17-inch with the 2005FPW because I packaged the ViewSonic and listed it on eBayiconboy>iconboy, I recommend going with the 2005FPW, for the same reason mentionDJ Prem>DJ PremRon21Ron21, lucky you! You?ve got it for $100 less than what I?ve paid! Images areAnother_PaulAnother_Paul, thankNetRyder NetRydertheyarecomingforyoucomingforyou, your eyes deserves a treat such anorky)

- norky, when playing games that doesn?t support WS, you?ll notice black lines covering the vertical areas on the left and right (to compensate for the lack of WS reSgt_Strider- Sgt_Strider, yes you can remove the stand and hang it on the wall&Sgt_Strider- Sgt_Strider, the picture was sometimes blurry cause my hand shacked while taking the pics!! And yes, HL2 actually supports 1680x1050 as native resolution

@reloaded2003

Are there any other games that support this widescreen resolution? Is it actually possible to force games to run at that resolution? Have you tried running CS: S at that resolution? How about Doom 3? Battlefield 1942? Thanks...

P.S: Can you also do me a favour and take a picture of the side of the LCD? I want to see how thick it is. Thanks again!

@reloaded2003

Are there any other games that support this widescreen resolution? Is it actually possible to force games to run at that resolution? Have you tried running CS: S at that resolution? How about Doom 3? Battlefield 1942? Thanks...

P.S: Can you also do me a favour and take a picture of the side of the LCD? I want to see how thick it is. Thanks again!

584972569[/snapback]

You can run, or hack, most games in widescreen...

Here's a few links with walkthroughs for setting up widescreen for games.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...7ce1284dc7c7dac

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=94

That should provide you with some reading material. :)

You can run, or hack, most games in widescreen...

Here's a few links with walkthroughs for setting up widescreen for games.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...7ce1284dc7c7dac

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=94

That should provide you with some reading material.  :)

584973067[/snapback]

Well, what if your PC doesn't have hte man power to run games at 1600x1050? How come nobody ever asks that?

How many PCs out there can handle half life 2 at 1600x1050?

It looks like you'll need the following PC to handle it, only due to it wanting a high native resolution:

Widescreen LCD - $650

Radeon x800xt - $550

1 gB RAM - $200

$1400.

What happens if we lower the widescreen resolution, how does HL2 LOOK?

-ELmO

Wow! Half life 2 on widescreen looks pretty nice!

584975223[/snapback]

Once again, how do you think it plays at 1600x1050? Am I the only one who wants to play an FPS at the smoothest frame rate possible?

:rofl:

-ELmO

Once again, how do you think it plays at 1600x1050?  Am I the only one who wants to play an FPS at the smoothest frame rate possible?

:rofl:

-ELmO

584975246[/snapback]

Well it all matters on what kind of computer you have..

If you have a low end system then obviously you won't be playing it on high detail and a high res.

I play HL2 on my 9800pro running at 1280x1024 with max detail. The game runs smooth.

While gaming is the main consideration for a lot of people here, I think the screen would be more suited to editing (be it in Photoshop or Cubase) and desktop use (website design, word processing).

What effect does using a different resolution have on a TFT? I know it has to be blurry, as it has to approximate pixels but is it enough to make non-native resolutions unusable/impractical?

NEway, on a side note... when I searched on Google for the monitor this was the 6th result down: Neowin.net > Dell? UltraSharp? 2005FPW

Well, what if your PC doesn't have hte man power to run games at 1600x1050?  How come nobody ever asks that?

How many PCs out there can handle half life 2 at 1600x1050? 

It looks like you'll need the following PC to handle it, only due to it wanting a high native resolution:

Widescreen LCD - $650

Radeon x800xt - $550

1 gB RAM - $200

$1400.

What happens if we lower the widescreen resolution, how does HL2 LOOK?

-ELmO

584974171[/snapback]

Not true at all!

Although I'm planning to move to AMD FX-55 with SLI (2 x nVidia 6800 GTO), my current desktop is working great with HL2 in 1600x1050! The game is very smooth and you can look at screenshots. Here is my current desktop (Gateway) specs:

- P4 2.66

- 512MB PC1066 RDRAM

- ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP 8X

- Creative Soundblaster Audigy

Yet, your comments would be true if we were talking about Doom 3!

While gaming is the main consideration for a lot of people here, I think the screen would be more suited to editing (be it in Photoshop or Cubase) and desktop use (website design, word processing).

What effect does using a different resolution have on a TFT? I know it has to be blurry, as it has to approximate pixels but is it enough to make non-native resolutions unusable/impractical?

NEway, on a side note... when I searched on Google for the monitor this was the 6th result down: Neowin.net > Dell? UltraSharp? 2005FPW

584975541[/snapback]

My main use of PC's is editing, designing, web surfing, and programming. I really like the way that this WS LCD affected my desktop workplace. Photoshop and Word work even better on WS! You can understand what I mean when you picture 2 documents of MS Word aligned horizontally in print view at 100% magnification! Or Photoshop displaying a high resolution image taken by your digital camera and being able to view it at 66.7% magnification without the need to scroll!!

Yet if you tried to view the desktop in a resolution other than the native (1680x1050), say (1240x1024) you?ll end up viewing a stretched and kind of blurry desktop...

By the way, here?s the manual link and more images of the 2005FPW LCD from Dell, it seems that I forgot to mention that the monitor can rotate a 90 degree (Portrait view): Dell 2005FPW Manual and Images

hey guys....can you look at my specs...based on that, do you think i could play MOST games at 1680x1050?

Doom, obviously i cant play high...only 1024x768 medium....but maybe half life 2?

i still havent played it yet, im going out of town, maybe ill buy it when i get back, or maybe up in austin....havent decided yet

but i think im going to scratch the idea of buying the 2001FP...monitors like these are the future and seem to be perfect for longhorn...

why buy an expensive monitor which wont really be good for longhorn?

this one will obviousy :) so longer value, and you can use it more

please respond, i plan on buying this soon :D

hey guys....can you look at my specs...based on that, do you think i could play MOST games at 1680x1050?

Doom, obviously i cant play high...only 1024x768 medium....but maybe half life 2?

i still havent played it yet, im going out of town, maybe ill buy it when i get back, or maybe up in austin....havent decided yet

but i think im going to scratch the idea of buying the 2001FP...monitors like these are the future and seem to be perfect for longhorn...

why buy an expensive monitor which wont really be good for longhorn?

this one will obviousy :) so longer value, and you can use it more

please respond, i plan on buying this soon :D

584977915[/snapback]

Actually Windows longhorn will be better on a widescreen monitor..

The sidebar in longhorn is perfect for widescreen's.

So if you want something for the future go with the widescreen and if you want something thats better for CURRENT gaming go with the 2001.

I'm going with the 2005 because the only 2 games that I play are Vice City and CS:S which both support 1680x1050 :)