Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

Actually Windows longhorn will be better on a widescreen monitor..

The sidebar in longhorn is perfect for widescreen's.

So if you want something for the future go with the widescreen and if you want something thats better for CURRENT gaming go with the 2001.

I'm going with the 2005 because the only 2 games that I play are Vice City and CS:S which both support 1680x1050 :)

584978088[/snapback]

dude you misread me....im switching from the 2001 to the 2005...cuz yes, i agree with you...you liek read the total opposite of what i meant

Just a note...

If your game doesn't support widescreen, you can always set the monitor to just run 1280x1024 and put black bars on the side if you don't want to try to scale it. The monitor has settings to stretch different resolutions (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2005FPW/English/setup.htm#Using%20the%20OSD):

*1:1: Turns off Scaling feature and displays an image size based on the input resolution.

*Fill: Image size up-scaled to fill the entire screen, image maybe distorted or elongated due to non-proportional scaling of height and width.

*Aspect: Increases Vertical image size to fit screen and adjusts Horizontal size to maintain proportional image.

And, some games also handle 1400x1050, which would have even less black bars. Luckily a lot of games do support wide screens, check out http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/ if you are curious (pimpshiznid also linked to this prior).

Edited by Cyrana

The thing I have noticed is that TV's where always 4:3.

Then we got 16:9 And everyone was slating them etc. Now, 90% Of TV Programs (Including Sky Etc) are recorded and broadcasted in Widescreen format.

These days, every new TV is Widescreen.

I think this is the way PC Monitors will go.

One thing though, 4:3 Compared to 16:9.

To appreaciate the size, you need atleast aprox. an extra 2 inches for a Widescreen display compared to a 4:3 format TV.

So for instance.

If you have a 17 Inch 4:3 you will need a 19 Inch 16:9 otherwise it will look smaller then the 17 Inch 4:3

Thats my opinion anyway.

well, either way, im going to love this monitor

btw....FINALLY!!!!ive been on hold probably 7 hours with them the past few days...they have kiled my phone twice while waiting for them

i talked to about 17 total people in the past two days...

BUT FINALLY

im getting it, scheduled delivery is set to next thursday, the 2nd....hopefully i can post some pics of it when it gets in..cant wait for this baby

it still cost me 600, but hey, its a damn good price...this IS a longhorn influenced monitor, and damn, im getting one :)

its nice to be back into the semi-current computer situation :D

just yesterday i fealt like my **** was obsolete

Refresh rates don't really apply to an LCD.

I just know that at the 12 to 16ms response time on this monitor you can easily do 60fps. You also turn vsync on when using an LCD usually.

The response time on this monitor (12ms grey to grey, 16ms black to black), is quite good btw.

What is the refresh rate at native resolution?

584985430[/snapback]

Ordered yesterdya with coupons with overnight shipping for $630, and it already shipped. IF today wasn't thanskiving it would have arrived today (HAHA!!). It's arriving tomorrow, and I probably won't be here, argh, it will freeze to death outside of my door!

-ELmo :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ordered yesterdya with coupons with overnight shipping for $630, and it already shipped. IF today wasn't thanskiving it would have arrived today (HAHA!!). It's arriving tomorrow, and I probably won't be here, argh, it will freeze to death outside of my door!

hey elmalloc, what coupons did you use, i keep finding expired ones! I want to get this a soon as possible, maybe i can pick it up from dell (live in austin). thanks!

Well, there is no refresh rate per se on an LCD display, though. Although in Windows, you can usually choose 60 or 75hz on a panel. Maybe that 60 and 75hz correlates to the ms response time in some way, I'm not sure. :) I know my good lcd runs at 75, and this laptop is at 60. But, neither one of them looks anything like my 22" CRT does at those rates (60 is HORRIBLE, and 75 even flickers like mad...85 or 100 is much better to me).

Oh well. :)

Apparently, on my lcd monitor, 60hz is too low

584987204[/snapback]

Changing the refresh rate on your lcd does nothing. It is only a number that exists to make them compatible with your videocard. The pixels on an lcd are either on or off. They don't refresh like crts do. That is one of the reasons for them being so much better for your eyes :).

i would think that the refresh rate does in fact apply on LCDs... if it redraws the screen faster, you should get more "frames" .. that is, when you move your mouse it might appear smoother...

but i have no idea, that's a guess. i know when i've moved my CRT from 85hz to 100hz the mouse movement has seemed smoother ;)

i would think that the refresh rate does in fact apply on LCDs... if it redraws the screen faster, you should get more "frames" .. that is, when you move your mouse it might appear smoother...

but i have no idea, that's a guess. i know when i've moved my CRT from 85hz to 100hz the mouse movement has seemed smoother ;)

584989894[/snapback]

nah, an LCD does not "redraw" the screen hence the refresh rate does not apply as was already mentioned. an LCD screen does not have a phosphor screen and electron gun that scans and draws the picture.

LCD's do however have an analogous specification, as already mentioned, the response rate. the response rate measures how long it takes for a liquid crystal to change polarity.

so while a 60hz refresh rate means a CRT screen redraws the picture 60 times a second, it means nothing in the LCD world. a 13ms response rate just means it takes 13 milliseconds for the liquid crystal to be on-off. now how that translates to performance is a whole new topic.

summary: changing the refresh rate when using an LCD does nothing. whatever changes you suspect are phantom improvements aka wishful thinking.

reloaded2003 could u possibly take a digicam pic of the 2005 in 1280x768, non-streched mode. im thinking of gettin a 2005 and most of my old games have 1280x768 which is almost 16:10 believe. i would like to see how much of the display will be black bars in that resolution. also have u tried to hook up a ps2 or xbox with the s-video?

nah, an LCD does not "redraw" the screen hence the refresh rate does not apply as was already mentioned. an LCD screen does not have a phosphor screen and electron gun that scans and draws the picture.

so while a 60hz refresh rate means a CRT screen redraws the picture 60 times a second, it means nothing in the LCD world.

summary: changing the refresh rate when using an LCD does nothing. whatever changes you suspect are phantom improvements aka wishful thinking.

584990191[/snapback]

LCDs still deal with an entire frame. they don't have to redraw the screen all the time like with CRTs but they still accept the image from the graphics card as an entire frame, one by one.

the refresh rate determines how often these frames are sent from the graphics card to the monitor. if the frames are sent more frequently, there is a possibility that the LCD will display more frames per second.

i don't have anything to test this on yet but that's how i see it. of course, whether or not the change would be noticeable or not is another matter entirely.

reloaded2003 could u possibly take a digicam pic of the 2005 in 1280x768, non-streched mode. im thinking of gettin a 2005 and most of my old games have 1280x768 which is almost 16:10 believe. i would like to see how much of the display will be black bars in that resolution. also have u tried to hook up a ps2 or xbox with the s-video?

584993187[/snapback]

should have my monitor tomorrow...will post pics...and ill try to do that one resolution for you Roos....

LCDs still deal with an entire frame. they don't have to redraw the screen all the time like with CRTs but they still accept the image from the graphics card as an entire frame, one by one.

the refresh rate determines how often these frames are sent from the graphics card to the monitor. if the frames are sent more frequently, there is a possibility that the LCD will display more frames per second.

i don't have anything to test this on yet but that's how i see it. of course, whether or not the change would be noticeable or not is another matter entirely.

584999201[/snapback]

A CRT uses an electron gun that fires radioactive waves at a screen covered in a phosphorous element which in turn excites that element and causes it to glow. Because of this the only way to cover the entire screen is to fire the electron gun in waves on the horizontal and vertical axis, this in turn causes the flickering the human eye is capable of seeing at frequencies in the typical range of 75 Hz or lower.

An LCD works by using pixels individually controlled through electronics, these pixels are either on or off. Unlike a CRT, LCDs do not have to refresh the image unless the image changes and even when it does only the pixels that change get changed, not all the pixels on the entire screen. Therefore the refresh rate does not apply to an LCD in any way shape or form. Instead, LCDs have response times which account for the time in which it takes a single pixel to change it's color.

i said in my post they don't have to redraw the entire screen at once, i understand how LCDs (as a general technology) work...

is the graphics card sending more frames per second to the monitor at 75hz than at 60hz? if so, does it just repeat certain frames at 75hz, or is it possible that each of those additional frames are different?

for example, if at 60hz it sends 60 individual frames to the monitor every second, i'm assuming it would send 75 individual frames to the monitor every second at 75hz... and if you have 15 more frames per second, some of those could be different (depending upon the answers to my above questions) and therefore require the monitor to change more times per second...

Edited by ike