Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

I've had the monitor exactly one week now, and I'm in total love. I was worried that it wouldn't be too small, and I was worried that it would have lots of problems - but its absolutely perfect.

This thing just looks amazing. I used to be one of those "lay in bed with a laptop" kinda guys, but now I *want* to work at my desktop. Also... media center looks absolutely stunning on a 20" Widescreen display. IMHO, its the only affordable route to go for a real media center in a room.

i got mine 2 day ago, no dead pixels anf stuff but i noticed something wrong yesterday...

I see Horizontal lines scrolling up in the left side of the screen, you can't notice it when you are using a White or clear color wallpaper, but is noticeable with darker wallpapers, at resolutions higher than 1024x768, and also it seems to happen only when using DVI.

so i called Tech support, we did a workarround blablabla and guess what? New Monitor Coming Tomorrow :D Dell Rocks!

Yay! I finally got my 2005fpw. It looks fantastic.

One thing I am worried of... when I tried backlight bleeding test using blank screensavers, when I look at it at an angle, how come I see purple? But when I look at it straight, it's black (with I believe a bit white at the four corners). I assume those are backlight bleeding, right?

dL

UPDATE

Guess what? i just got the replacement monitor today as they promissed and first thing i noticed in the box was a BIG Label with the beautiful Word "Refurbished" on it. :angry:

So i called again, and they are going to send a Brand New monitor on monday....

Sorry Dell, you can't fool me!

An update to mine. There is no dead pixel even though the picture I took it appears to have two. It's the camera :( Noo... Anyways, I think I got a pretty good 2005fpw :D Thanks Dell!

Manufactured in Oct. 2005 too ;), A02, Mexico.

dL

First 2005FPW was a A02 Sept. 2005 made in mexico unit. No dead/stuck pixels but had backlight issues in 3 corners. Detectable in normal daylight indoor ambient light conditions.

Second 2005FPW was A02 Oct. 2005 made in mexico - no dead/stuck pixels, backlight issues in 2 corners, and a "dead" zone in the middle of the monitor (maybe the backlights in this area are weak?). Overall better then first one, detectable only in low/no ambient light from behind viewer.

Third one is in the mail now... we shall see.

I'm being real picky here... unless I get one thats perfect I'm not going to be 100% happy. Just can't stand the thought of paying tripple figures for something that I'm going to be staring at for hours that isn't at or near perfect.

i got mine 2 day ago, no dead pixels anf stuff but i noticed something wrong yesterday...

I see Horizontal lines scrolling up in the left side of the screen, you can't notice it when you are using a White or clear color wallpaper, but is noticeable with darker wallpapers, at resolutions higher than 1024x768, and also it seems to happen only when using DVI.

so i called Tech support, we did a workarround blablabla and guess what? New Monitor Coming Tomorrow  :D  Dell Rocks!

586732040[/snapback]

Apparently there are DVI incompatibility issues with some graphics cards...all you have to do is adjust pixelclock slightly and scanlines are gone.

If you have nVidia card you can adjust it from 'advanced timings' options in drivers and for ATI card you need app like Powerstrip.

I adjusted mine from 119000MHz to 119298Mhz and that solved the problem...

Apparently there are DVI incompatibility issues with some graphics cards...all you have to do is adjust pixelclock slightly and scanlines are gone.

If you have nVidia card you can adjust it from 'advanced timings' options in drivers and for ATI card you need app like Powerstrip.

I adjusted mine from 119000MHz to 119298Mhz and that solved the problem...

586771235[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip, i'll try that out, because i got the third monitor and i still see those lines.

Update: I love you man, it worked!

Edited by Snakehn

Just wondering, does 2005fpw considered to be a High Definition LCD (not talking about HDCP here)? If so or not, why or why not?

dL

586783098[/snapback]

well there's different types of high def like 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. it can view 1280x720 content fully so its sort of high def (so that makes 17" and 19" lcds high def too i guess?) but 1920x1080 has to be scaled down so its not fully high def.

well there's different types of high def like 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. it can view 1280x720 content fully so its sort of high def (so that makes 17" and 19" lcds high def too i guess?) but 1920x1080 has to be scaled down so its not fully high def.

586783182[/snapback]

That's because the native resolution is 1680x1050.

dL

implode a simple google would work

help_svctag.gif

LCD TV On the bottom left hand corner of the back of the unit.

586783116[/snapback]

you would be Wrong the Service tag is not on there flatscreens i had to Call them and get my new one set out to me be here in 3 - 5 days

Can someone tell me where the best place to get coupon codes for this monitor is?

586790460[/snapback]

www.slickdeals.net you wont find any right now, but they'll be on the main page when there's a sale. also, search the Forums for more deals (Y) that place is addictive.

someone PLEASE post a SS of where the freaking service tag is located !! i cant locate mine and i need to return it i have bleeding like whoa in all 4 corners

586779447[/snapback]

There are no service tags for Dell LCD screens. Your only option for support is to call them up and ask the pre-programmed idiot at the other end to be transferred to his supervisor.

Well, I just received my second 2005FPW today to replace my first one. I was getting the scan lines on the left hand side when connected by DVI, and am getting them again on my replacement monitor. The good news is that there is virtually no backlight bleeding on the replacement one, which the first one suffered.

I want to get a replacement, but if I am going to keep getting ones with scan lines, I would prefer to keep this one with no backlight bleeding lol. Was looking to adjust the pixel clock as mentioned a few posts up, but can't seem to do it on my Sapphire 9600 Pro.

Time to call Dell and see what my options are.

stay with than one, i had a third replacement monitor because of those scan lines, and i still have them, as somebody stated on this thread before, it may be incompatibility with the video card, i tried powerstrip to fix it and it worked.

Ok, here's a question:

I have one of these, would it be feasable to take the plasic verticals off somehow and run 3 displays edge to edge to have one superwide seamless display?