Build a PC for

OK, here's the dilema. My Bro'-in-law wants me to build the best PC I can for around ?1,500.

Basic Requirements:

1. Must be kickass at games+multimedia

2. Gotta last maybe 2years

Suggestions welcomed

you said 1,500 pounds right. convert it cdn $ =1,500 X2.2 = 3300

for that in canada you could build anything you wanted. a full kick ass, 21" monitor, spkrs, etc

for 1300 cdn i built a amd 1.4 512 ddr, 19", gf2 gts, etc

i think he meant the best for the money. in that case I would go with a new Athlon XP 1800+ (i dont know much about the motherboards). get a 40 gig hard drive, 256mb(or more) ram, soundblaster audigy value, and the best video card you can get with the left over money. i would highly suggest a card based on a nvidia chip. I would recommend a geforce 2 mx but if he's a fanatic then get a g3. no prob getting an awesome computer for 1,500 pounds.

Haha! Thats so easy. Basically, go for a PC along these lines:

19" monitor,

ATI Radeon 8500/Geforce 3

256MB DDR RAM

Athlon XP 1500-1800

Asus/Abit/Epox Motherboard (you choose..)

40-80GB Ata/100 drive

SoundBlaster Live! (or if you feel the need to spend money, the audigy)

4.1 Speakers

DVD-ROM Drive

Peripherals...

If you know what you are doing, and dont buy from a huge retail chain or Compaq/IBM etc. , you can stay below 1500 (about 2300 US?). If you do, go for Bold Data Systems at http://www.boldata.com/

Boldata offers this for 2,195 US basically 1400-1500 UK:

-Athlon 1.4

-Motherboard(by them, i guess) with AMD 761 chipset

-256MB PC2100 DDR RAM

-RAID 60GB ULTRA ATA/100 7200RPM HARD DRIVES

-Geforce 3

-19" monitor

-16x DVD drive

- 20x10x40x CDRW

-SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer

-DTT3500 5.1 Speakers

-Screw free case with 300Watt power supply

-3 Year warranty (1 year on site warranty) although i dont know what international warranty is.

P.S. That dude is right, Canada has the best prices on hardware i have ever seen. Check out a store like http://www.pccanada.com/ (Remember prices are Canadian $!)!

Oh pounds! I coulda sworn that was a dollar sign before ?_?

If you do get the SoundBlaster Live, get 5.1 speakers (because thats what sound blaster live was made to be used with, to get the full output the hardware was built for),right?

Thanks guys. So far no one has suggested a P4, I still seem to have a slight psychological block about AMD's, I'm still not convinced they're a good long term investment, but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Thanks YahoKa, thats a nice spec, worth considering :). I fully intend to build it myself, I wouldn't trust anyone else :p