Xerox tracks your photocopies

Is Big Brother watching you?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19825

Helps the government to spy

By Nick Farrell: Tuesday 23 November 2004, 06:52

GIANT PHOTOCOPYING firm Xerox has admitted designing its colour photocopiers so that they put a hidden code on your copy that will help the US government identify you

According to Peter Crean, a senior research fellow at Xerox, all his company's laser printers, copiers and multifunction workstations, put the serial number of each machine in yellow dots on the page.

He told the Medill News Service that the dots only show up if you look at the document with a magnifying glass while shining an LED beam on its surface.

This will mean that if any document shows up in a criminal inquiry the spooks will be able to track the document to you photocopier.

Apparently it is designed to catch crooks who counterfeit money on a photocopier, although it is hard to see how anyone call fall for fake photocopied cash.

It is more likely that the technology can be used to to track a document back to any person or business that printed it.

According to a SpokesSpook for the secret service, the photocopy industry had been extraordinarily helpful to them. Xerox has a customer database and shares the information whenever the spooks ask.

What is more spooky is that the technology has been around for a long time, it is just that the photocopy outfits have never felt fit to tell their customers.

What is angering civil rights groups is that there is no law on the statutes to protect people from the misuse of this type of surveillance.

If photocopies of people's bottoms show up around the office after the Christmas party it would be possible for the boss to work out which machine it came from. Although the smeary glass and the fact that it is tiggered and has smoke pouring out of the side should give it away.

It would be nice if they told us  :angry: Aparently they want to hide this spying technology.

584976592[/snapback]

Now, why would they want to do that? Its not as if they're CSIS. :)

couldn't that be eliminated with a photocopy?

584976673[/snapback]

Did you know that Xerox is one of the largest manufacturers of photocopiers? If they are doing it than so are other companies as well. Some even have it so that you can't photocopy currency at all.

Did you know that Xerox is one of the largest manufacturers of photocopiers? If they are doing it than so are other companies as well. Some even have it so that you can't photocopy currency at all.

584977018[/snapback]

Really? OH, so that's why all my teachers told me to go "xerox" my papers... Hot DAMN. i didn't know that. it's such a good thing i have you on these boarsd to educate me.

Really?  OH, so that's why all my teachers told me to go "xerox" my papers... Hot DAMN.  i didn't know that.  it's such a good thing i have you on these boarsd to educate me.

584977098[/snapback]

Oh, the cutting wit.. [Note:sarcasm]

Some even have it so that you can't photocopy currency at all.

584977018[/snapback]

Almost all have it nowadays, some software (like adobe) will also not allow it. Nothing wrong with that, but they should tell people.