[UK] Home Network (Router) Help!

ok i have two machines i want to network and share the net connection via a router

PC 1 - Custom machine (host) with lan connection

PC 2 - Dell machine with lan connection

Internet connection via BT (ISP: AOL) ADSL Voyager 105 (USB)

Router: Trust 340 Speedshare Web Station

http://www.trust.com/home/default.htm?view...3Fartnr%3D13602

how the hell do i do it. ive followed the instructions but im missing something as i cant seem to get it to work.

are there any articles which will take you through the setup. i need to know how to configure the set up and what ip's to use etc.

some advise would really help.

in other words

I have to pcs and I have a router 'Trust 340 Speedshare Web Station' is it possible to share the inter thought the ?ADSL Voyager 105 (USB)? ??????

Edited by Mikeparkie

does the USB ADSL modem need to connect directly to the router? as its only usb and does not have an eithernet post.

584988174[/snapback]

unless your router has USB input then yes.. your ASDL modem needs a ethernet cable to your router.

however, you could plug your modem into one of your computer but that computer has to be on for the other computer to use the internet. if you want this setup.. let me know as i can take you further :)

Let me be the 1st to let you know that your not going to be able to network using the BT Voyager 100. I invested on a Netgear DG834G and ditched the Voyager. Reason is that you will need at least a Ethernet port on the modem.

Brgs

Looks like that modem only has a usb connection which can only be connected to a pc.

Solution would be to connect this modem to one pc via usb and then share that connection using the router to both pc's using windows(may or may not work)

Or replace the entire kit with a single unit which combines an adsl modem and a router which would solve the problem

unless your router has USB input then yes.. your ASDL modem needs a ethernet cable to your router.

however, you could plug your modem into one of your computer but that computer has to be on for the other computer to use the internet.  if you want this setup.. let me know as i can take you further  :)

584988191[/snapback]

ok how is this possible then?

ok how is this possible then?

584988224[/snapback]

Jerichohol already mentioned it.. :D i was too lazy to typed it up.

If you do decide to leave one computer on.. then you can even ditch the router. In place of the router, you will need a crossover ethernet cable. That's it. Then share your internet connection.

The router has a modem built in. You dont need that BT thing... use the router instead!

XgD

584988269[/snapback]

on trust's website there is no mention of a built in modem!!!!

340 SPEEDSHARE WEB STATION (ROUTER)

Key features

Router and switch for simultaneous sharing of 1 Internet subscription between 2 or more users

Connect directly to your existing ADSL/DSL or cable modem with an RJ45 connector Inbuilt Firewall to keep your private details secure

Easily expandable to create a complete (wireless) system with Trust SpeedShare components

Item number: 13602

cool. i know how to do the cross over thing. whats the longest cross over cable you can get?

584988250[/snapback]

ermm.. i've seen 50 footers. i think even 100ft is okay too.

think simplist thing to do is get your internet working.. plug in your x-over cable.

then go into the properties of your internet connection and goto advanced tab and check off ICS.

you may need to do an IP renew on the secondary computer.

internet thru PC 1 the host has the internet running all ok via usb so i need to set up ip on pc 1 as 192.168.0.1 and pc 2 needs to be 192.168.0.2 with ICS selected on pc 2

internet thru PC 1 the host has the internet running all ok via usb so i need to set up ip on pc 1 as 192.168.0.1 and pc 2 needs to be 192.168.0.2 with ICS selected on pc 2

584988320[/snapback]

no ICS needs to be enabled on PC1.. this should work.

PC1

USB Internet <-- enable ICS here

[NIC] 192.168.0.1

PC2

[NIC] 192.168.0.2

when I usually do this.. after enabling ICS, the NIC on the same computer gets set to 192.168.0.1 automatically and if not set it to that as you mentioned. Then i just leave PC2 to obtain IP automatically.