[Help] Networking

Hey all

Well as you can see in the colorful pic :laugh: thats my setup

Well I wanted computer three to become a full blown server but I also Want all of them networked together so is there a better way to network all of them than using windows? Also for computer three is it better to use windows 2003 server or just use windows xp and use use apahe. And another question what do you recommend as a ftp server (bulletproof etc) and mail server. Also can someone recommend me any firewall and antivirus taht are good for a network. And for a forum what do u recommend (invision, etc) thx for answering my noooby questions

:laugh:

thx

VG

post-61438-1101684044_thumb.jpg

Windows Networking, for the most part, especially when it comes to things like printer sharing, tends to be the most straightforward. For the server, I would use Apache 2 installed on Windows XP, that way, if you want to run game servers, you can do with ease and without compatibility errors with the operating system.

Bulletproof FTP server gets many acclaims and would be a good one to use. Merak Mail Server software gets many good reviews, and I would recommend that.

I would use a router with a hardware firewall built-in, such as a top-end Netgear or the likes, with a simpler software firewall on each PC. As for the forum, Invision if you're willing to pay, phpBB if you're not.

I have a network very similar to yours, so shout up if you need any more help.

Hi 98XT

Great infor I almost forgot I was going to run a game server too but I was so hyped up on my site getting up. any websites that some guides or a infor on how to setup windows networking right cuz i try to do it on time i missed it up. Bulletproof im familer with. The mail server I will check that out I have a dlink wireless g router so no use getting a new router but the question is what kind of simpler firewall and antivirus. Right now im familer with invision and i have it already but im not too famlier with phpBB and anyone have opinions with vbulltion and phpBB.

For Windows Networking: all PC's must be running XP Pro ideally, and all members of the same of the same WORKGROUP (can be set at install, or My Computer/Properties). You then have to create shared folders on the PC's, either a readable directory on each, or a writeable directory on the server. These shares will then show up in My Network Places.

Try Kerio for a firewall, I used to use it, it's not too bad. Antivirus: I use McAfee. Invision and vBulletin are both payware, and IMO, unless you have a high-traffic site, aren't really worth it. Go with phpBB.

What type of connection do you have? You want to serve up ftp, web pages and mail, forums and games? if your not on a static IP (and no I do not mean it stays the same from your isp) - then there is NO point to running a mail server, since any major player will not accept mail from you due to being from a dynamic IP range, etc..

As to serving both ftp and web and forums and game servers - again what type of connection do you have for upload? Downloading anything from 256k cable connection that is servering web pages and ftp is going to blow chunks - period! And then trying to be a game server as well? Yeah OK your speeds are going to be smokin ;)

I fail to understand the point of running your own servers at all, have you checked with your ISP - is serving ok with your AUP? Which is besides the point anything - unless you have the bandwidth for serving, and the skill set to lock it all down - all your going to be doing is cause yourself headaches. Now your servers(s) have to be on 24/7/365 - whenever you want to upgrade anything be it a software patch, hardware, etc.. your sites are offline... Sure people playing games will like the fact that you had a power outage, and or connection went out in the middle of their game ;)

Dude add up the cost - its going to cost you more to keep these boxes online for power alone, then it would to host it somewhere ;) Shoot for like $25 a month you can get a dedicated virtual server with 2g of space and 300gig+ a month xfer with a 10mbit connection. Whats it cost you a month to keep your server running? Also keep in mind - anything your serving is taking away from your download and surfing speeds.

So again I ask - whats your upload speed? You got a full T1? ;)

Hi budman

Well I have a DSL connection from bellsouth (3 meg up /512 down) I think that was it

I also have a static ip so that isnt a probelm :p

and my isp is ok with it just as long as im not hosting mp3s movies etc etc.

and if my site is down to poswer outages and my game server is down tough nuggets :laugh:

it isnt a big site lol its just for my team for unreal and CS isnt too big i hope :p

thx for your concerns

VG

What type of connection do you have?  You want to serve up ftp, web pages and mail, forums and games?  if your not on a static IP (and no I do not mean it stays the same from your isp) - then there is NO point to running a mail server, since any major player will not accept mail from you due to being from a dynamic IP range, etc..

585004895[/snapback]

I'm the only MX server for at least 4 domains on my Windows XP wardrobe box, connected to Bell Sympatico ADSL (dynamic IPs).

Never had a single error with a SMTP server not accepting an email from me.

There's no way for a MX server to know I have a dynamic IP. All it knows is that I'm sending it emails that are destined to users of it's domain.

Dude - I have no concerns, its your connection do with it as you will. Um, but that would be 3 down and 512 up. Which I highly doubt your actually getting from a dsl connection.

But I just took alittle look at the bellsouth site, and I did not see a 512 up, highest is 384.

Q. How fast is FastAccess DSL?

A. FastAccess DSL is up to 3Mbps downstream and up to 384Kbps upstream.

And keep in mind - "The actual speed experienced by customers is based on DSL sync rate and may vary and depends on several factors including customer location, destination on the Internet, traffic on the Internet, interference with high frequency spectrum on the customer's telephone line, etc. No minimum level of speed is guaranteed."

So like I was saying - I highly doubt you'll see 384kbps up.

As to running a mail server - good luck, since seems they block port 25. Going to be a bit hard sending any mail, and or getting any mail from other than the smtp servers they provide.

"Port 25 filtering is an effective means of reducing the amount of spam and viruses that come from the BellSouth Internet Services network. It prevents residential customers from sending e-mail through e-mail servers other than BellSouth."

< than 384kbps up does not a server make.

Running a server available to the putlic net for anything other than your own personal connection to your machines/data, while your not there is pointless and a waste of your time and effort. Here's a quote from http://server.counter-strike.net/server.ph...show=tweakrates that comes to mind in response to your thread.

"In all honesty, don?t waste your time running a server on a cable connection. It will lag"

Hosting anything off a home dsl/cable type connection with it's limited upload bandwidth is pointless and a waste of time, your ISP provides you with SPACE, included in your service for small websites, etc.. And anything else could be hosted for min cost on a machine with real connection to the net, not 384kbp;);)

If you really want run a server, then get a colo'd / dedicated server somewhere. Cause the only thing that is going to happen with you hosting a CS server off your home connection, is your buds telling you how LAGGED your server i;);)

You seems to be confusing me with the thread starter.

I was just stating that running a SMTP with a dynamic IP, contrary to what you first mentioned, is not a problem at all.

edit: I'm actually using a Bell Sympatico reseller. I was using that name so that ppl would know what kind of connection I have. My reseller doesn't enforce any blocks on that port.

Trolling won't get this anywhere.

I was stating a fact: I'm running a SMTP server on a dynamic IP range, and never had a problem.

Edited by Mouton

There's no way for a MX server to know I have a dynamic IP. All it knows is that I'm sending it emails that are destined to users of it's domain.

585005939[/snapback]

Whatever dude - http://www.mail-abuse.com/services/mds_dul.html

Is just 1 RBL of dynamic ranges, it is quite easy to know who owns what IP ranges, etc.. etc.. I can can tell you for sure, your not sending any email to my domain, since I do not accept mail from any bellsouth IP's it just SPAM. Real domains do not run on dynamic IP's and or HOME DSL connections. So there is NO reason to accept mail from them.

edit: And no I was not confusing you with anyone and or anybody.

edit2: And sure seems strange how they state they are blocking outbound 25 (on their website) So even if the domain was not checking for DUL - kind of hard to talk to mail servers on port 25, when your ISP blocks it.

edit3: here is example of domain blocking dynamic IP

telnet mailin-01.mx.aol.com 25

Trying 205.188.159.57...

Connected to mailin-01.mx.aol.com.

Escape character is '^]'.

554- (RTR:BB) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrbb.html

554- AOL does not accept e-mail transactions from dynamic or residential

554- IP addresses.

edit4: here is another example of blocked dynamic range. I looked up the bellsouth range, from a spam reported on google. And what do you know, listed on multiple DUL's here is SORBS listing

post-14624-1101699627_thumb.jpg

Edited by BudMan