Fedora Core 3

Thanks dotRoot, but alas I dont have an ATI Rage Mobility...its not an issue though. My new DVD burner makes up for my lack of being able to feed video out to my TV.

To add to the conversation about desktop environments: Linux can have it all. You can install XFCE4, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Enlightenment and just about anything else you can find and run anyone at any given time. Log out of X and switch on the fly if you feel like going to a "light" environment or a graphically superior environment...its unlimitless. How many shells can you run on Windows without needing to hack up the registry or installing some new shell that is just a hack upon itself?

Does anyone who moved to Linux actually miss the Windows registry???

Thanks dotRoot, but alas I dont have an ATI Rage Mobility...its not an issue though. My new DVD burner makes up for my lack of being able to feed video out to my TV.

To add to the conversation about desktop environments: Linux can have it all. You can install XFCE4, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Enlightenment and just about anything else you can find and run anyone at any given time. Log out of X and switch on the fly if you feel like going to a "light" environment or a graphically superior environment...its unlimitless. How many shells can you run on Windows without needing to hack up the registry or installing some new shell that is just a hack upon itself?

Does anyone who moved to Linux actually miss the Windows registry???

585020258[/snapback]

I saw RPMFind said it was for the Rage Mobile, but in the Fedora Stable Package list, it just says ATI in general. So I'm not sure.

-

Also we should probably mention that installing stuff on Linux has gone leaps and bounds in recent times. Most everything is an RPM package and although for awhile even they were annoying, because of having to find dependancies, now some package managers find those for you too and then download and installs everything without any hassle. Sure I still compile stuff from time to time. But its usually for more obscure apps, that the normal user ever uses or just something I need to compile from source to run on my distro.

Basically (hopefully no windows fanatics are watching) Linux is already years ahead of Windows in the desktop area, not just the server area anymore. As for gaming? The only hold back Linux has for that is that MS' Direct X code is proprietary. But that's being worked on too. It will play almost anything.

Hopefully you won't be scared off. IMO the only reason Linux is hard to learn for most people is because they came from Windows (and Mac somewhat). So just go at Linux like its a fresh start...like you don't know anything. Should be fine shortly after that.

It is also of note that Linux never slows down like Windows eventually does. My Linux has seen hundreds of programs come and go and is as fast as when she went up.

I run Gentoo so I compile everything. Make my own ebuilds and modify them to what I want. I install and uninstall without a second thought because I know nothing will break, unlike Windows which you need to be careful what you install all the time. I used to hate installing on Windows because I wanted to keep it fast and clean...how many DLLs are left over after some big apps, how bloated the registry gets after time...just crap coding.

Linux is different in all these respects...with the config files who cares if some are left over. All programs configs are unified anyway, being located in /home/zyx/.

Anyway you look at it, Linux is way more structure then Windows. It just doesnt appear so at first glance. I mean I wanted to test the latest kernel so I emerged 2.6.10-rc2. Works awesome but I can always fall back to 2.6.7 at any time with a simple reboot. Linux is a dream to anyone who lives on the bleeding edge. Always an update, an improvement...I love!

I have always thought you can tell much about a person and his lack of understanding of PCs by his refusal to use any code that is in beta stages or nightly builds from cvs...